PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Aether 60 vs. GG Nimbus Ozone vs. Gregory Z-pack

Oracle
03-25-2005, 22:26
I've been seriously considering the Gregory Z-Pack, mainly because a friend has one and it's worked well for him, and the packcloth the main compartment is made of seems to be much stouter than most sub-4lb. packs. However, after reviewing the comments on this site about the Z-pack, I'm concerned about it's long-term durability (which is the reason I was choosing the Z-pack in the first place, as it seems more durable than most others).

So, I'm trying to figure out what to get. The other two packs I've been considering are the GG Nimbus Ozone, and the Osprey Aether 60. Of those two, which has the better suspension system, and is likely to have better long-term durability? The suspension system on the Osprey Aether 60 has a foam backpanel and dual composite struts, while the GG Nimbus Ozone has a Tepex framesheet covered with foam. Which of these suspension systems is likely to be able to handle more weight? While I'm trying to get my base packweight to 18lbs or less before food and water, I can concieve of a week-long hiking trip upping that weight to slightly over 30. Which pack would be able to handle that better?

Also, which pack construction material would be more durable, the 210-denier double-ripstop nylon of the Osprey Aether 60, or the 70-denier silicon-coated ripstop nylon of the GG Nimbus Ozone?

Or, is the Gregory Z-pack the equal of both of the above packs, and am I worrying needlessly? Or are the other two packs I'm considering just much better than the Z-Pack? Just looking for some advice, as I want the pack that I do end up getting to last a long time, and be durable enough to handle many hundreds of miles on the trail, both the suspension system holding up and the pack staying together well, and the pack being able to resist tears, abrasion, and other damage.

stickman
03-25-2005, 22:44
I don't have experience with the Gregory or the Nimbus, but the Osprey has worked very well for me. I find it very comfortable for loads up to low-mid 30 pounds, which is all you'll get in a pack that size anyway. I've had it about a year, maybe about 100 miles hiked (not long, not much), but it isn't showing any wear at all.

I'd try them all on with about the weight inside that you plan to carry, and go with the most comfortable.

Stickman

bearbag hanger
03-26-2005, 12:19
I tried the Gregory Zpack and now have a Osprey Aether 60. The Zpack fell apart on me the first day I had it coming out of Damascus (both a zipper and a fast buckle came apart). Fortunately, I was able to return it the next day. I exchanged it for a ULA P/2, which I was happy with, but it wasn't in very good shape when I finished my through hike four and a half months later. Plus, the load lifters on the P/2 tended to slip and needed constant adjusting all the time. A little sewing would have fixed it. But, at 2 lbs, 10 oz (I cut a couple things off the pack I didn't use) it was a very comfortable pack up to about 35 lbs total.

During my through hike last year, saw a lot of both the Osprey 60 and the GG Ozone. The people with the Ospreys seemed to like their packs better than the Ozone group, which is why I choose the Osprey. It's a little bigger than I need, but it looks like it will survive just about anything.

verber
03-26-2005, 12:42
Which has the better suspension system? I don't have a lot of experience with the Nimbus... most of my experience the Vapor Trail and the Aether 60. I found when I was less than 25lbs the Vapor Trail is the most comfortable pack I have ever used, and the 2nd most comfortable up to around 30lbs. I found that the Aether is the most comfortable pack I have used for 25-40lbs (though some people have found that comfort for the Aether 60 falls off rapidly above 35lbs). I did not find the z-pack to be as comfortable as either pack when carrying 30 lbs. But try them for yourself because what you like could be diffferent from me (and others).

Better long-term durability? The Aether 60 should be better. The first few years the Aether 60 had a problem with the stays ripping out, but the frequency of this problem seems to have dropped off in the last couple of years after Osprey made some changes to the pack. That said, a lot depends on how you treat your gear. I have seen all three of these packs still looking good after two thru-hikes, and have heard reports than all three were trashed at the end on one thru-hike for some people. My Vapor Trail has the equiv of around 1/3 of the AT. It's in very good condition (almost like new) except for a patch where the lighter pack material was sandwiched between jagged granite and my bear canister and I pulled the pack up and down a couple of times producing what looked a bit like a knife cut. Note: the rip-stop fibers mostly head so I didn't even notice the problem until someone pointed out the rip to me.

--Mark

Kerosene
03-26-2005, 13:36
I have about 250 miles on my Nimbus Ozone. I went with the 3-pound NO over the Vapor Trail so that I could carry more than 30 pounds if needed. Most of my miles have been with weights of 23-27 pounds, and the pack rides extremely well. I've done a few half-day shake-downs with over 30 pounds, and I'm confident you could go to 40 pounds if needed. It's a very solid pack for the weight.

The Aether 60 has a nice back mesh pocket and a lid, but you're carrying another 8 ounces of pack (only 6 more ounces if you get the new Granite Gear Top Lid, which is really just a pocket). The NO is a pretty basic design.

I really like the design of the Atmos line, but the Atmos 50 is just a touch too small for me for spring/fall hiking at 3000 cubes.

Unless you're bushwacking or very hard on your equipment, I think that any of these packs would last for quite a few years.

Oracle
03-26-2005, 16:29
Thanks for the replies, guys. I really appreciate it. I went and looked at and tried on both packs today, and I found that I really prefer the GG Nimbus Ozone. The Aether 60 is comfortable, but the framesheet of the NO almost form-fits to my back, and with a little judicious pruning and replacing of a few things, I've got my base pack weight to right around 14 to 15 lbs. That should easily allow me to to be around 20-22 lbs with food and water. With that weight load, I think that the NO will be the more comfortable pack. So, that's likely to be the one I'm going with. Again, thanks a lot, folks.

The Solemates
03-28-2005, 10:26
My Gregory ZPack has over 3000 miles on it, and I have no major durability issues to date. The only thing to happen is the outer mesh storage compartment has a small rip in it (probably my fault). Cant speak for the other packs, although I know they make good ones too.