PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag waterproofing

Drybones
03-09-2012, 08:52
Does anyone have a suggestion for treating a sleeping bag to protect it from condensation.

Nutbrown
03-09-2012, 10:34
Don't sweat.

STINGER1
03-09-2012, 10:43
I'd work on the condensation problem with your shelter as opposed to trying to water proof your bag. You can also dry your bag out during the day if it gets damp during the night. As far as treating it with a spray or something I'm not really sure, sounds sketchy.

Danl
03-09-2012, 10:57
Bivy sac, but you will add about 2 lbs. I agree with working on the condensation problem with the tent

Whack-a-mole
03-09-2012, 12:31
It never hurts to take your bag out at lunch and open it up and hang it over a bush while you take a break. It does take a minute or two, but some good old fashioned sunshine will do it some good.

moldy
03-09-2012, 15:52
Don't do it. I'ts supposed to shed moisture away from you.

Bronk
03-10-2012, 04:01
Problem is if you waterproof the outside then moisture will not be able to get IN, but it also will not be able to get OUT. So if you sweat at all, or if you ever get into your bag and you or your clothing are slightly damp, the moisture will be trapped inside. Just like your tent, you want your bag to be able to breath.

MuddyWaters
03-10-2012, 15:54
If its a material that can be reasonably water resistant, spray on ReviveX DWR works to restore.

It depends on the bag and insulation how to approach.

If its a cheap bag it may not be possible.

I can pour water on my bags and it runs off.

Tinker
03-10-2012, 16:35
And it will hold more moisture in your bag than a well-ventilated tent (the moisture comes from you).

Tinker
03-10-2012, 16:37
Problem is if you waterproof the outside then moisture will not be able to get IN, but it also will not be able to get OUT. So if you sweat at all, or if you ever get into your bag and you or your clothing are slightly damp, the moisture will be trapped inside. Just like your tent, you want your bag to be able to breath.

That, too, except breathe is the correct spelling of the word. Breathe is pronounced "breethe". Breath is pronounced "breth". :)

stranger
03-12-2012, 07:47
Usually the problem with sleeping bags and condensations is due to prolonged contact between the sleeping bag, usually the foot end, and a damp inner wall of a tent. This also means there is some pressure applied because during sleep people push up against the wall and the bag gets damp as a result.

Adding something like Tectron or another DWR treatment will work for things like drops of condensation or spray, but it won't work in the scenario listed above. The best way to deal with this is to wrap the foot of your bag inside a lightweight shirt/jacket, anything breathable, and in the morning the garment will be damp but your bag is unlikely to be.

Otherwise, there are bivy's available that are only 5-6 ounces, that have Momentum or a similar fabric with DWR applied, so they will provide protection for a number of circumstances.