PDA

View Full Version : hiker found in hilo nat.park

rocketsocks
03-09-2012, 15:36
It appears as though a hiker has been found in hilo national park after 1 mounth.The hiker had a big blue sleeping bag and a cat .Can someone please link the story.

Lone Wolf
03-09-2012, 15:37
http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?rip_id=%3CD9TD30700%40news.ap.org%3E&ps=931

Wise Old Owl
03-09-2012, 15:41
Long missing hiker found with cat in NM forest Posted: Mar 08, 2012 11:22 PM AST Updated: Mar 09, 2012 3:32 PM AST
By RUSSELL CONTRERAS
Associated Press ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - A woman who had been missing for nearly a month in a New Mexico national forest and who authorities said has a history of mental illness was found emaciated Wednesday in a sleeping bag with her cat by her side, authorities said.
Authorities said Margaret Page, 41, stayed alive by drinking water from a nearby creek and fed her cat, Miya, her cat, with cat food she had packed. She was located by a rescue crew in the Gila National Forest around a mile up the Railroad Canyon Trail in rugged area known as the Black Range in an isolated region of southwestern New Mexico.
That's where authorities believe where Page had purposely gone hiking off a trail with her cat between Feb. 10 and Feb. 12 and set up a camp.
Dave Kuthe, search crew leader, told the Silver City Sun-News (http://bit.ly/wkSzoB) said that Page was found malnourished but well-hydrated and sleeping in a blue sleeping bag. Authorities said she stayed alive by drinking water from a nearby creek and fed her cat, Miya, with cat food she had packed.
"Her cat was in better shape than she was," Marc Levesque, incident commander with New Mexico State Police Search and Rescue, told The Associated Press. "Her cat was also hunting. (Page) ran out of food a while back."
Authorities aren't sure what Page ate after she ran out of food. Levesque said by the time she arrived to Gila Regional Medical Center she was alert and articulate after losing 20 to 25 pounds.
Lt. Robert McDonald, a spokesman for the New Mexico State Police, said members of the Grant County Search and Rescue and other crews began the search for Page on Tuesday after Page's family notified State Police that Page's car had been found in the Railroad Canyon Campground.
"When they called in at 9 and said we found her, my chin dropped and I said 'is she alive?'" Glenn Tolhurst, operations section chief for the search, told the newspaper. "They said 'she's alive. And she's got a cat.'"
According to weather.com, the area where Page was found camping had seen average highs reach around 60 degrees with evening lows in the 20s. The area did not see much rain or snow, but Page was forced to endure some high winds.
Page's vehicle, which McDonald described as a silver Chevy passenger car, had been originally spotted by a Forest Service Law Enforcement Agent on Feb. 12 but authorities didn't think much of it since hikers leave vehicles near trails all the time.
However, a U.S. Forest Service agent noticed the car Feb. 25 but didn't contact state police until 10 days later. The vehicle was towed as crews began their search mission - something Robert Matulich, a field certified member of the Dona Ana County Search and Rescue team, said was unusual since crews sometime use vehicles to give the search dogs a scent to use.
"It looks to me like somebody dropped the ball on this one," Matulich told the Silver City Sun-News. "Why'd they tow the truck? Who towed the truck?"
Kuthe said Page checked herself out of Gila Regional Medical Center late Wednesday and spent the night in a Silver City hotel.
Levesque said she has been reunited with her cat.
___
Associated Press researcher Monika Mathur in New York contributed to this report.

rocketsocks
03-09-2012, 15:50
Thanks to you both

rocketsocks
03-09-2012, 15:58
Wow,if nothing more it is a good testament of just how strong the human body really is.

TJ aka Teej
03-09-2012, 17:33
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIFQDfch1cI

rocketsocks
03-09-2012, 18:06
Somewhere in this story will be found a good lesson.

Derek81pci
03-09-2012, 18:32
Yes... if you have mental health issues... TAKE YOUR MEDS!!!

Trubrit
03-09-2012, 19:17
Some how, being able to be out there for a month food only ran out a week prior to discovery plenty of cat food big sleeping bag and just 20 yards off of the trail !!!! I will wait till the film comes out by Xmas before judging. The whole thing including her being reported missing her car found almost immediately but her missing and the car found .were not immediately related....... I think there will be a lot more to this story in the near future

Spools
03-09-2012, 19:35
Did she want to be found?

rocketsocks
03-09-2012, 20:19
Some how, being able to be out there for a month food only ran out a week prior to discovery plenty of cat food big sleeping bag and just 20 yards off of the trail !!!! I will wait till the film comes out by Xmas before judging. The whole thing including her being reported missing her car found almost immediately but her missing and the car found .were not immediately related....... I think there will be a lot more to this story in the near futureAgreed...........

Wise Old Owl
03-09-2012, 20:50
amazin how one can live on furry creatures... 20 lbs? wow.... glad she is alive

Half Note
03-09-2012, 22:18
Wow,if nothing more it is a good testament of just how strong the human body really is.

Quoted for truth on this one.

Hawkwind61
03-09-2012, 22:28
Did she want to be found?

That was my first thought.