PDA

View Full Version : Tick season in north-central Pennsylvania

stranger
03-09-2012, 20:55
I was hoping to hear from someone who is local in this area on this...

I'm looking at hiking the Susquehannock Trail again in late August or very early September and was wondering how back the ticks might be that time of year?

I know there are tick 'peaks' and I am guessing they would be June-July and Oct-Nov based on some research. What are people's experiences for that time of year in north-central PA.

Thanks in advance

Wise Old Owl
03-09-2012, 21:06
Not to worry Spray up with Pure pyrethrins ( On the Clothes when not wearing ) or Deep Woods off.

handlebar
03-09-2012, 21:15
I hiked it in early Oct and didn't get any ticks--even hiking in a kilt. If they were out there I'm sure I would have had some crawling on me as the brush along the trail was pretty bad in places---especially after the 3rd straight day of rain and mid 50s high temps. Maybe ticks find someplace dry to hang out in the rain.

When we hiked, we went counter clockwise from Ole Bull State Park (where you can get a shower upon completing the trail.) We had a mail drop at the tiny village if Cross Fork PA where we stayed overnight in the motel there in order to get everything dried out.

stranger
03-09-2012, 21:21
Not to worry Spray up with Pure pyrethrins ( On the Clothes when not wearing ) or Deep Woods off.

Thanks but the question is not about tick prevention, but tick seasons and peaks. What I'm trying to figure out is when ticks are at their worst, in this area.

kayak karl
03-09-2012, 21:35
they are out already and will be out till October. high, lows who knows. its up to the weather.

stranger
03-10-2012, 04:39
That is exactly the question...when are the highs and lows? I think the question is fairly straightforward, no?

Storm
03-10-2012, 09:01
I hiked the trail late last August. Did not see any ticks. I talked to a club member that was doing trail maintenance and he said the ticks had been very bad all summer. I had sprayed my clothes and was using Deet.
It has been my experience over the years that the ticks are worse when it's hot and dry so July and August would be the worse. This is just my opinion and I have no facts to prove it either way.
Would suggest long pants or gaiters because the nettles were bad in several places.

TOMP
03-10-2012, 11:41
In my experience, ticks are more of a problem in April and May in that area. I did the PA grand canyon out there a few times and never saw a tick in fall or late summer. But I am sure there are always some.

birchy
03-10-2012, 12:54
In my experience, ticks are more of a problem in April and May in that area. I did the PA grand canyon out there a few times and never saw a tick in fall or late summer. But I am sure there are always some.

YEAH, I already found 2 on my dog last week.

Wise Old Owl
03-10-2012, 13:47
Thanks but the question is not about tick prevention, but tick seasons and peaks. What I'm trying to figure out is when ticks are at their worst, in this area.

Due to warmer temps they are in season all the time and regardless of location. IF there are nocturnal mice present - there are ticks & fleas. If you are walking in grass they get a hand up to grabbing the clothing.

stranger
03-10-2012, 20:37
I hiked the trail in October and don't remember seeing any ticks. I have heard that the tick life cycle is essentially late-Spring and late-Fall, so the April/May suggestion are probably in line with that. What surprised me is that they are also 'bad' in October/November in some areas. My understanding of ticks were that they would be worst in May, June, July in most areas in the east. So late August, early September is probably a better bet than say mid-June, etc...

Again, thanks for the responses...I'm well aware of Tick prevention, I grew up near Harriman State Park, NY, not far from Lyme, CT where the disease was first discovered. My Dad got Lyme in the early 90's when they didn't know anything much about it, knocked out his short-term memory and damaged his hearing, etc...it's no joke.