PDA

View Full Version : Any issues left over from the tornados?

Blissful
03-09-2012, 22:36
I was concerned as I know Tellico Plains got hit by a tornado. Any issues we need to be concerned about with regards to the BMT and resupplying with storm damage? I hope Green Cove Motel is still scheduled to open mid March.

SGT Rock
03-10-2012, 08:05
I don't know, probably they will still open. I went through Tellico Plains Sunday and the only part that looked damaged was the residential section. We did some trail maintenance Wednesday and cleared 10 blow downs, but none were particularly bad, you could have walked over or around them all.

Maryelle
03-10-2012, 09:46
Tornadoes in Southern Indiana closed the Knobstone Trail. This was sent by Tom McGinnis who was out on the KT and saw what the tornado did to the KT south of HiWay 160. The KT will be closed for quite a while.

Remember those pictures from Mt. Saint Helens from 1980? Where all the massive trees were just blown over and snapped like matchsticks?
Well, the tornadoes (2) that hit Henryville went right over Round Knob (Mile 5.75), and flattened everything.
Vacuumed up the leaf/stick litter down to the duff, and then pocked the smooth duff with 1/2" holes 1" deep, from the rocketing-in marbles of hail.
There was a nice kitchen knife (bent) not too far away, and a refrigerator stuck between some trees, and a scary host of other objects (ceramic kitchen tiles, roof trusses, sinks and plumbing fixtures, a computer monitor, etc etc.) scattered randomly about. And a 6' 6"x8" hand-planed, dove-tailed log cabin piece, pretty old looking, stuck 12"-18" into the ground like a spear. Chris took some tremendous pictures, but the defined edges of the destruction are amazing, as is the fact that the destruction covered every inch of the whole bowl formed by the Bartle (sp) Knob Road, Jackson Road, and Round Knob -- no matter how deeply into the bowl you wanted to look. Further, the storm similary went *over* Round Knob -- it looked like it parked there for a bit, right on top, with the winds taking down the trees in a visible sweeping circle (counterclockwise???) about a mile wide. Nothing over 4"-5" left standing. And the ground sucked clean.The Indiana DNR has closed the trail from 160 to Deam Lake (the southern 7 miles) and does not expect it to be open at all this summer.

Blissful
03-10-2012, 13:35
Thanks for the info!