PDA

View Full Version : Micro spikes for GA & NC with a 3/16 Start?

Bear-bait
03-10-2012, 08:58
Will there likely be bad sections of ice on the trail in GA and NC which would necessitate traction aids such as micro-spikes, assuming a mid-march start? I am from the Northeast where trails can be treacherous in the spring (steep rocky sections coated with ice).

Thanks

jeffmeh
03-10-2012, 09:21
I asked the same question, albeit for an earlier start. From what I gathere, it is highly unlikely that you would need them until the Smokies, and with a 3/16 start it is still unlikely that you would need them then.

There was ice on the trail coming down from Clingman's Dome last Wednesday, but the rangers reported on Friday that it had melted. I'm in contact with a thru-hiker who should be doing that section today, and he's kind of hoping to have to take out the microspikes.

ScottP
03-10-2012, 09:25
no------------

drdewrag
03-10-2012, 12:46
Not at all. And what a difference a couple of years makes!! 2 years ago, those who started in March didn't get out of the snow until after the Smokies. Craziness... But made for some really cool stories.

jeffmeh
03-10-2012, 17:17
Trail report for today, Clingman's Dome to Newfound Gap: 2 mile stretch with icy conditions on trail. Microspikes certainly not absolutely necessary, but enabled increased safety and speed.

Red Hat
03-10-2012, 18:54
I was one of the tenners and there was indeed snow and ice in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, but we made it through without any crampons or such. Certainly not needed this year.

Bear-bait
03-10-2012, 19:20
While the weather may change over the next few weeks, your reports are encouraging. Thanks for the input.

LDog
03-10-2012, 20:02
While the weather may change over the next few weeks, your reports are encouraging. Thanks for the input.

When are you going to be on the trail?

Firefighter503
03-10-2012, 22:47
Says 03/16 in the title. I think you will be fine OP. We had snow/ice last year in the GSMNP in late March, but it wasn't bad enough to need crampons or anything.

Bear-bait
03-11-2012, 17:58
When are you going to be on the trail?

I plan on starting on 3/17.

ambroseya
03-12-2012, 09:40
The way the rocks were in the places with ice going/coming on Clingman's Dome on Saturday (3/10) having spikes or anything else would have slowed me down rather than helped. (Hiking with poles definitely helped though, so if it's without poles you might want them). We did a day hike Newfound Gap -> Dome and back to Newfound Gap - saw several thru hikers having a lot less trouble with the ice than we did, and wasn't bad for us.

For what it's worth, timing on hitting the icy sections matters - it was more melty when we were going up around 2pm and less melty, more icy when we were descending around 5pm. To each their own though, I preferred the rocky ice to the really really soggy mud.

DavidNH
03-12-2012, 09:49
It is highly unlikely you will need the micro spikes. Then again, on the less than 2 % chance you experience an ice storm, they could be useful. Personally, I'd recommend leaving the microspikes at home. Even if there is an ice storm.. the ice will melt away in a day and you just wait it out.

QiWiz
03-12-2012, 11:28
Probably not enough risk of this to make it worth carrying the extra weight, IMO. But it isn't impossible.