PDA

View Full Version : Desert Dog

Desert Dog
03-10-2012, 11:17
:mad:
I just saw that the park service is going to require reservations and fees for all hikers in the Smokies. For thru hikers this may be a problem. Does anyone know how this systems is suppose to work. Do we reserve and pay at Fontana Dam?

Hooch
03-10-2012, 11:27
:mad:
I just saw that the park service is going to require reservations and fees for all hikers in the Smokies. For thru hikers this may be a problem. Does anyone know how this systems is suppose to work. Do we reserve and pay at Fontana Dam?

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parknews/bc-camping-fee.htm

Doesn't start until 2013. Just curious, but how do you see it as a problem for thru-hikers?

Desert Dog
03-28-2012, 21:21
The problem is .. are they going to staff the office at Fotana Dam year round so that AT Thru Hiker don't have to wait around days just to get a permit and pay the fee?

HumanBN
04-07-2012, 06:54
I seem to remember them already having something like this in place when I went through in 2010. Thru-Hikers were exempt from any fee, we just needed to fill out a form and place part of it in the drop box by the dam, the rest we put on our packs. There are a few places along the trail that require you to do this.