PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Mountain Maps

DForce
03-26-2005, 12:31
A couple friends and I are headed down to the Smokey Mts in August of this year and I am wondering what the best map(s) is/are for that stretch of the AT. I have the National Geographic map from the North Carolina-Tennessee AT maps, but the profile doesn't seem to do the section any justice. Since we are only planning on a few days of moderate length (20-25 miles) I was hoping to get a better sense of the elvation changes at various points in the region -- it really helps when planning a short hike. Do any of you have any recommendations for maps that have a nice layout of the profile of the land in the Smokies while showing the AT?

Thanks in advance.

DForce

SGT Rock
03-26-2005, 14:07
That is the only map I know of with the elevation profile. Anything else with a profile would probably be made from the same data.

Peaks
03-26-2005, 17:24
You could buy the Topo! software and build your own profiles.

chris
03-27-2005, 21:52
Rather than a map, get the little brown book for the Smokys. It is called something like, "Hiking Trails of the Smokys". There is a large blue book with a similar title, but you don't want it. The book has (semi)accurate elevation profiles and descriptions for all the trails in the parks, is fairly cheap, and has good historical info on the area. It is small enought that you can carry it along with you. Combine this with the National Geographic map of the Smokys and you are set.

Chip
03-28-2005, 16:42
A good book to get is "Hiking" Great Smoky Mountains National Park, by Kevin Adams (A Falcon Guide book). The last section of this book is devoted to the AT. 81 covers the Trail to the Western section and 82 covers the Eastern section of the AT as it runs along the ridge line of the Smokies. Maps, Key points and elevation/profiles are also shown. I have found this info very informative.
Hope this helps.
Happy Trails,
Chip ;)