PDA

View Full Version : Great Article on Hypothermia

Rayo
03-10-2012, 12:59
Thought you'd all like to feast your peepers on this 'good-to-know' info:

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/As-Freezing-Persons-Recollect-the-Snow--First-Chill--Then-Stupor--Then-the-Letting-Go.html?page=all

LEAVING IN FOUR DAYS!!!!!

WalksInDark
03-10-2012, 19:29
I have gotten mild to moderate hypothermia twice. Both times I was sailing on small Hobie catamarans. The first time I was sailing on a lake in early summer when a thunderstorm broke. In less than 30 minutes temps dropped from low 80s to low 70s...accompanied by high winds and wind driven rain. The second (and hopefully last time), I was sailing at the end of the summer on the Chesapeake Bay. Temps started in the high 90s...then as the squall hit and winds gusted over 50 miles per hour for nearly an hour, cold rain pelted down so hard you could not see more than 5 feet in any directions. Just to up the "misery index" a little more, for a short while hail fell from the sky as well.

In the first instance, the most prevalent hypothermia symptom was poor judgement (sitting on the boat in the rain, rather than getting under cover, not noticing that I had been shivering for nearly an hour). In the second instance, the most prevalent symptom was bad coordination and continuing to rely upon a GPS unit which was obviously malfunctioning. Oh yeah, without the drenching windblown rain, air temps were probably still in the upper 70s to low 80s.

Since those experiences, I NEVER go hiking without bringing some sort of jacket or rain gear. Twice warned is often enough....even for a dummy like me!

GP1971
03-10-2012, 19:39
One of my great Uncles was in the Battle of the Bulge. He said they were warned to move occasionally in their holes but every morning they would find someone frozen solid in their hole.

4shot
03-10-2012, 20:07
great reading. twice on my thru-hike I was caught in conditions and places where it was impossible to set up shelter. Both times I was faced with a mixture of sleet/snow and sections of very rocky trail. I was aware that any accident or fall could be serious even with a full pack. Very sobering moments.

with that being said, best wishes and good luck on your hike. March is a wonderful time of year for people hitting the trail. as Tom Petty once said, the waiting is the hardest part. although you'll come to find out Tom was wrong about this.;)

Two Speed
03-10-2012, 20:52
Nice dramatic reading for a winter evening. The key phrase is "It doesn't occur to you in your increasingly clouded and panicky mental state".

Short version for AT hikers: if you feel cold do something about it.

Unlike the protagonist in tonight's reading you have a back pack full of food and clothing, including a sleeping bag. Use the gear and supplies you have with you and there's almost a zero percent probability that a magazine article will be written about you.

Yeah. I know, not very dramatic. Guess your friends and acquaintances will have to find something else to read.

rocketsocks
03-10-2012, 21:39
Wow what a powerful read,thanks for posting that.It was almost like I was there......from the warmth of my home.

rocketsocks
03-10-2012, 21:41
Oh sorry,Rayo have a great hike..........dress warm,and be safe!:sun