PDA

View Full Version : SOBO Myth Busters Needed

Astro
03-10-2012, 16:08
While section hiking in Great Smoky Mountain National Park (GSMNP) this week I had someone tell me that Thunderhead Mountain was the toughest climb/stretch for a SOBO on the entire AT. While it was no piece of cake (especially with the snow and ice), based upon the stories I have read/heard about NH and ME I find this hard to believe. Perhaps the toughest climb/stretch for the GSMNP section of the AT, but the entire AT?

So I thought I would ask the experts who have actual first hand experience. So SOBOs what say you?

fiddlehead
03-10-2012, 16:28
Don't remember any tough climbs in the Smokies.
But, I remember plenty of them in the whites.
Don't believe everything you read.
Maybe the person telling you had a bad day, or tried to do this climb after a 40 mile day or.........whatever.
Each persons hardest climb is different.

One of my hardest was going up Mooselauke (sp?) from Kinsman in a newly fallen foot of snow.
Have a pic of it somewhere.

Lone Wolf
03-10-2012, 17:07
thunderhead "tough"? hardly:)

Slo-go'en
03-10-2012, 18:12
Apparently the guy you meet has never been to New England.

The problem with the climbs down south in NC are simply that they seem to go on forever. Thier not hard, just long. Up here in New England, we like to get the climbs and decents over in a hurry. Going up or down 1000 or 1500 feet in a 1/2 mile is not uncommon.

4eyedbuzzard
03-10-2012, 19:13
So, someone is saying climbing Thunderhead is tougher than any other climb a SOBO would have to make? Hmm, been many years since I hiked in the Smokies, but I remember climbing "good ol' Rocky Top" / Thunderhead. It just doesn't compare to the trail in NH and ME. Given that every SOBO has to start off day one by climbing Katahdin in order to SOBO, I think we can dismiss the idea right out of the gate. But even so, in terms of tough climbs I'd have to put Carter / Moriah, Madison / Mt Washington, Moosilauke, and probably a dozen other SOBO climbs in ME and NH ahead of anything in the southern Appalachians.

4shot
03-10-2012, 20:52
I never SOBO'd but I agree with Fiddlehead, the toughest climb is different for everybody. two that stick out for me is the climb out of NOC (full pack and almost 90 degrees) and some obscure mountain just north of Bethel Me. They were rerouting the trail and it was raining that day. felt just like climbing up a sheer glacier of mud. Too many variables (how full is your pack, temp/weather that particular day) to say X or Y is the toughest imo.

Papa D
03-10-2012, 21:57
So, someone is saying climbing Thunderhead is tougher than any other climb a SOBO would have to make? Hmm, been many years since I hiked in the Smokies, but I remember climbing "good ol' Rocky Top" / Thunderhead. It just doesn't compare to the trail in NH and ME. Given that every SOBO has to start off day one by climbing Katahdin in order to SOBO, I think we can dismiss the idea right out of the gate. But even so, in terms of tough climbs I'd have to put Carter / Moriah, Madison / Mt Washington, Moosilauke, and probably a dozen other SOBO climbs in ME and NH ahead of anything in the southern Appalachians.

Ditto this - for a SOBO, the biggest challenge in the GSMNP is snow and slush (assuming the SOBO started in the Summer and hits the park in late fall) - the actual elevation gains ("hard hiking") in the park should be CAKE by then. - - I hiked the park in Dec. - - Thunderhead - really? pretty area and somewhat challenging hiking but nothing close to NH and S. Maine.

ARambler
03-10-2012, 22:12
Ha, SOBO's are tough and do not complain about climbs.
Some of us old whimps complain about the decents, Wildcat, the Arm etc can be a pain, when it is wet.
Rambler

Jack Tarlin
03-10-2012, 23:42
Never done a full SOBO, but I've done around half the Trail in a southbound direction, and I assure you there are plenty of worse climbs than Thunderhead. In no particular order, the three southbound AT hikes I hope NEVER to do again, are from Pinkham Notch to the summit of Mt. Madison; Moosilauke SOBO in poor weather; and going up the Priest from the Tye River after already putting in a few miles on the other side of the river. Thunderhead is cake.

hunter121
03-11-2012, 04:12
I love this review I really love it
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/20.creation.jpg
http://www.canadablackberry.com/imgs/images/2.tod.gif

stumpknocker
03-11-2012, 07:10
Ha, SOBO's are tough and do not complain about climbs.
Some of us old whimps complain about the decents, Wildcat, the Arm etc can be a pain, when it is wet.
Rambler

You tell 'em there Rambler!! :)

I would say that the toughest climb for a sobo is getting to the starting point.

smoothsailin
03-11-2012, 12:02
Maine / New Hampshire downs in the rain. brutal. Wears you down completely. Wildcat in the rain is definitely not for the weak hearted.
By far southern Maine was the toughest in my opinion.

Wizard 2009
03-12-2012, 06:50
I'd agree that New England is much tougher. Even in the south, climbing The Priest SOBO is a bear of a climb and IMO harder then Thunderhead.

fredmugs
03-12-2012, 11:18
I did the Smokies in 2 days SOBO and although I remember the Thunderhead sign I certainly do not remember it being difficult. From I-40 you are climbing for a very long period of time but (a) it's not that steep and (b) it's not rocky. No degree of difficulty whatsoever. I did The Priest during a drought with 90 degree heat and that was tough and every time I've been to NH or Maine I have torn up my knees so anywhere between Katahdin thru The Whites is much tougher.

Blue Jay
03-12-2012, 11:27
It is the duty and responsiblity of all SOBOs to make up things to cause confusion in NOBOs, just a tradition. I didn't start it, but try to live up to it for the enjoyment of all.

Kerosene
03-12-2012, 16:52
I do recall thinking that my NOBO descent of Thunderhead was steep with a lot of loose rocks, but I would never put it in the same class as anything in the Whites. I flew up The Priest (SOBO) after dreading the elevation profile for the prior few days, but it was a nice cool morning and I had just eaten breakfast at the Tye River.

MyName1sMud
03-14-2012, 10:38
You tell 'em there Rambler!! :)

I would say that the toughest climb for a sobo is getting to the starting point.

I haven't been all the way up there yet.... but I would be willing to put my money on this too.

Mt. K has got to be a beast for your Day 1.

BlackJack1
03-14-2012, 11:34
I did ThunderHead NOBO and it was over before I realized it. I have heard the same rumor about it being the hardest part but I don't see how? Leaving Fontana Dam and leaving the Nantahala going SOBO would seem worse.

peakbagger
03-14-2012, 11:46
Take a look at the Katahdin Profile on the AT map, nothing comes close, and where else are there bars in the boulders to pull yourself up that to most folks arent optional.

max patch
03-14-2012, 11:55

Thats ironic...the toughest part of a SOBO thru is when they have to go NOBO!

Blissful
03-14-2012, 20:10
Smokies were no big deal.

Honestly I had much more problems with descents in NE - and with Mahoosuc Notch because I did it alone in the rain

4shot
03-14-2012, 20:10
Take a look at the Katahdin Profile on the AT map, nothing comes close, and where else are there bars in the boulders to pull yourself up that to most folks arent optional.

let me say that I have not sobo'd (except for the few miles after i touched the sign and had to turn around and get back to the birches) but aren't the sobo's going up that mountain without a pack?and with fresh legs. i know K is tough but I would imagine tougher climbs for the southbounder.

With that being said, the climbs were never as bad to me as the descents. Moosiluak (sp.?) in the rain was memorable.or scary.

Strategic
03-18-2012, 10:31
For anything south of New England, I'd have to nominate the "Agony Grind" in NY just south of NY17 and Harriman State Park. It's the climb up onto Arden Mt. and is alarmingly steep even though it's shorter than a lot of the steep New England climbs. I was very glad to be going down it instead of up when I did this section as a NOBO section hiker.

trucker2015
03-18-2012, 13:59
I know the first time I climbed out of Gooch Gap NOBO. It was at the end of a long day in Aug and I thought I was going to die. I know it's not that bad a climb but I still dread it every time. It's just stuck in my head from that one time.

Montana AT05
03-18-2012, 14:04
While section hiking in Great Smoky Mountain National Park (GSMNP) this week I had someone tell me that Thunderhead Mountain was the toughest climb/stretch for a SOBO on the entire AT. While it was no piece of cake (especially with the snow and ice), based upon the stories I have read/heard about NH and ME I find this hard to believe. Perhaps the toughest climb/stretch for the GSMNP section of the AT, but the entire AT?

So I thought I would ask the experts who have actual first hand experience. So SOBOs what say you?

As others stated, "toughest" has too many variables to be applied universally. It depends on weather, time of year, fitness level, health, nutrition (been humping southbound for 300 miles fueled only by candy bars? Ya, a climb is going to be rough).

The AT has rough climbs throughout, but as I look back, I'd definetly say the New England section (Whites, and especially Southern Maine) were some tough, steep, borderline technical climbs. Didn't help that it was smack dab in the middle of summer when I climbed them either--or that I was 1800 miles into a thru and yes, in shape considering, but also losing muscle mass due to caloric deficit.

But again, in general, the AT is mile by mile, some of the hardest trail I've hiked in my life.

I suspect that over 2000+ miles the difference between a sobo and nobo difficulty is nil, zip, zero. And to further complicate the matter, you could discuss which is harder a steep technical uphill or downhill. I detest downhills.

4shot
03-18-2012, 17:29
der a steep technical uphill or downhill. I detest downhills.

amen.no matter how difficult a climb was, I was never afraid for my health and well being. Entirely different matter though on some of the downhills, especially when wet.