PDA

View Full Version : Data book vs. trail guides / maps vs gps

Edwardo Rodriguez
03-10-2012, 16:28
Hello everyone, Am looking into a Thur hike of the AT with in the next 2 years. I little bit of my background, I live in CA and I hike the John Muir Trial the past year years so I have some knowledge of what it take to go on a Thur hike. 1st, to keep my cost down was going to buy the AT data book to help plan my itinerary instead of the trial guides books and when I do go on the AT is take the data book with me. 2nd is if I take an GPS do I still need the buy the maps. I have to say I can see the need for both the the trail guides and maps but trying to keep my cost down. Thanks for any help you can offer.

fiddlehead
03-10-2012, 16:32
Many people hike the AT with just the data book.
If you take a GPS instead of maps, you still have to load the trail into it.
I'd lean towards data book and gps.

Many take the ALDHA companion or equivalent also, although I like to have some surprises along the way personally.

Have a great hike.

moldy
03-10-2012, 17:24
Skip the GPS. The AT is well marked. Put the maps in your resupply boxes. They won't need recharging

Slo-go'en
03-10-2012, 17:55
Buy the AOWL guide book and skip everything else.

I can see not wanting to spend nearly 300 bucks on a compete set of maps, which you may or may not end up using. Who knows, you may not make it off the second or third map. The guide book OTOH is indespensable and give much more info then just the data book for not much more money.

I just bought a GPS to use on the CDT and after seeing how small the screen is and how little it shows, it's bascially useless with out real maps to go along with it.

4eyedbuzzard
03-10-2012, 18:05
The Data Book doesn't have enough info on its own. Skip it and instead get get AWOL's guide http://www.theatguide.com/ or the ALDHA Companion http://www.aldha.org/companyn.htm Throw in a cheap mini compass if you want and maybe maps for the Whites and ME.

Edwardo Rodriguez
03-10-2012, 23:11
Thanks every one did not know about the AWOL seems to be a cheaper way to go

Edwardo Rodriguez
03-10-2012, 23:22
Ok thanks but the data book should give me an idea in planing my itinerary right now that what I want to do. Have a ball park in how many day's between re-supply point

Slo-go'en
03-10-2012, 23:31
You can get all the resupply info and itinerary plannning right off the home page of Whiteblaze. Just look at the articles listed on the left side of the page.

moytoy
03-11-2012, 09:17
+1 on AWOL's guide! He sell's both a book and loose leaf version. I have the book and will buy the loose leaf version and let my home bound wife use the book to follow me.