PDA

View Full Version : Tent or Tarp for PCT thru hike

LIVEtough
03-11-2012, 02:15
Still bouncing back and forth about a shelter. I like the looks of the tarptent moment but like the idea of a bivy/tarp for staying even lighter. I am ditching my old tent that was almost 4 lb so anything is better. Only thing is bugs. I like to read in my evening hours after dinner in my sleeping bag. I like the idea of no bugs in a tent. I have thought also about a bugnet for a tarp set up instead of just the headnet but I duno where I will go with it just yet. I want to make the jump to a tarp especially that cowboying it as much as possible sounds like my style but im on the fence about weighand lack of experiance with a tarp. I can remember when I would read in shelters at night on the AT and bugs would land on the light hitting the book as I read. That was annoying. I didnt use the headnet much the whole time though as I flipped and usually if it was really bad I just set up a tent. I loved the privacy and peace of mind that the bugs can't get in. The bivy sounds great for me though as I am lazy to set up and take down. Leaning towards tent after Kennedy Meadows because of the bugs but I expect to have practice living out of a bivy/ tarp by then and will be confident with the setup. At that point I would just add a full bug net thing with a hoop or clip it to the tarp someway. I would appreciate imput if you have any. I love the idea of great views with a tarp as well as freedom to set up in different ways. Seems like other then a big footprint and bugs it could be my new setup. Thanks everyone.

Edwardo Rodriguez
03-11-2012, 02:42
Last year on the John Muir Trail I took a bivy sack and hate it. Had problem with condensation I cowboy camp when ever I could. This year am taken a Gatewood cape for the rain plus their net tent for the bugs. For me think this combo will work out nice for the way I like to backpack. If all works out I hope to go on the At

Mountain Mike
03-11-2012, 03:06
Did a tarp for AT but switched to tent for PCT & glad I did. Some sections (Sky Lakes in OR) just stopping for a break was brutal due to bugs. Much of OR was that way. Also several resuppy options in CA there are Hike & Bike sites that offer cheap camping where a tent is optimal (Idywilld, Burney Falls, Castle Craig...)

fiddlehead
03-11-2012, 03:27
Love my sil-shelter (Integral designs) and it can be made fairly bug-proof with some no-seeum sewed in in a few spots.
But, if you are planning on reading every night and want bug-free, then you should use a tent.
Especially after Ken. meadows.

I slept out under the stars most nights on the PCT although not when the bugs were bad (north of Yosemite until around Bernie Falls)
And not in OR/WA (rain)

Sil shelter is only 12 oz.

BrianLe
03-11-2012, 15:05
South of Kennedy Meadows I think a tarp is a great choice. I used a poncho as both rain gear and shelter, and for the very little use it got it was a good choice. Swapped to a single wall (tarptent) tent from there and that worked well too, for bugs rather than rain until WA state. Since WA state isn't a huge part of the trail, I'd err on the side of a light tent that offers a decent space inside to be in when it's really buggy out, that is at least "adequate" for rain. The Gatewood cape combo is a great choice in many ways, for someone that's not super tall, except that the net tent that mates with it provides not a large amount of space. My personal approach to handling buggy times is to get into the tent as soon as possible and then just stay there (use a pee bottle, eat inside, sleep with food, etc). With the net tent and gatewood cape combination, a person would have to periodically be opening the mesh to get things and put them back out; most times this is fine, but unpleasant when the bugs are just swarming in fierce legions.

dla
03-11-2012, 17:30
Skeeters can only bite through so much. I put on a polar fleece hoody and protect my hands and face. I used to use a tarp with an A16 bug bivy - worked well (remember that the netting will stick to poly-pro tops). I've carried a cheap bug headnet for times when it is hot and the skeeters are insane. I also use a lot of DEET (REI's Jungle Juice). I've put on my black poncho once to beat the skeeters - works. So many options.

Miner
03-11-2012, 21:03
I used a small tarp and a lightweight bivy from MLD and would gladly use the same if I hike the PCT again. Not all bivies are the same, some breath better then others. I didn't have any condensation issues with mine. I used the tarp 9 times (though I walked through a window of good weather in Washington while those finishing earlier had rain) and the bivy 80% of the time.

Bugs are an issue in the Sierra Nevada and maybe Oregon. Bugs are only an issue in Oregon if its a very high snow year or you are hiking at the front of the pack (I had no real issues when I hiked but people 2 weeks ahead complained). Most of the trail, includinng the High Sierra, I found that the bugs disappear soon after it gets dark and come back at dawn. The first one buzzing in my ear was my alarm clock to get up since I knew they'd swarm me if I slept in. But I prefer gettig up early to hike in the cool of the morning, so it was fine. Since I only stop to camp when I ready for bed, I don't mind being in a bivy or just wearing a headnet to bed even if the bugs don't leave. Those who like to hangout in camp for a few hours, probably prefer a tent to hide in. The advantage of cowboy camping is your camp setup/take down is very quick compared to those with tents. A bivy sack works well for those who prefer this since you can stuff your sleeping bag and pad in the bivy and throw it on the ground and your camp is set up.

LIVEtough
03-12-2012, 01:15
I used a small tarp and a lightweight bivy from MLD and would gladly use the same if I hike the PCT again. Not all bivies are the same, some breath better then others. I didn't have any condensation issues with mine. I used the tarp 9 times (though I walked through a window of good weather in Washington while those finishing earlier had rain) and the bivy 80% of the time.

Bugs are an issue in the Sierra Nevada and maybe Oregon. Bugs are only an issue in Oregon if its a very high snow year or you are hiking at the front of the pack (I had no real issues when I hiked but people 2 weeks ahead complained). Most of the trail, includinng the High Sierra, I found that the bugs disappear soon after it gets dark and come back at dawn. The first one buzzing in my ear was my alarm clock to get up since I knew they'd swarm me if I slept in. But I prefer gettig up early to hike in the cool of the morning, so it was fine. Since I only stop to camp when I ready for bed, I don't mind being in a bivy or just wearing a headnet to bed even if the bugs don't leave. Those who like to hangout in camp for a few hours, probably prefer a tent to hide in. The advantage of cowboy camping is your camp setup/take down is very quick compared to those with tents. A bivy sack works well for those who prefer this since you can stuff your sleeping bag and pad in the bivy and throw it on the ground and your camp is set up.

Sounds like my cup of tea, Ill probly get a equinox bivy and siltarp. Thanks for the inspiration and great advice.

TRAUMAhead
03-15-2012, 02:58
Last year on the John Muir Trail I took a bivy sack and hate it. Had problem with condensation I cowboy camp when ever I could. This year am taken a Gatewood cape for the rain plus their net tent for the bugs. For me think this combo will work out nice for the way I like to backpack. If all works out I hope to go on the AtWhat kind of bivy do you have?

q-tip
03-15-2012, 10:31
I just got a Six Moons Wild Oasis. First tarp, I got it primarily because it has netting along the bottom to keep out the bugs. I have my Tarp Tent Congtrail as a back up if this doesn't work too well..