PDA

View Full Version : Tarps on tent platforms

stranger
03-11-2012, 06:45
So, for you hardcore tarp users out there...how do you deal with tent platforms?

Any tricks or tips?

Thanks

Smooth & Wasabi
03-11-2012, 09:10
It helps alot to have a little extra guyline. You can usually find at least one tree to use for the ridge line and either use a another tree or a trekking pole to give the other end of the ridge enough height. For corners and sides I either tie to the platform (usually enough space between boards) or go all the way to the ground. It is nice to have a slightly larger tarp so that you have more flexibility with pitching options, remember that the tarp only needs to provide enough shelter don't worry about how it alines with the platform. I use a 10 x 12 with my wife and a 9 x9 or 8 x 10 would be good solo. It is possible to pitch a 5x8 but you would have less options, even in ideal pitching terrain I find my 5 x8 a little small for all but short fairweather hikes.

Don H
03-11-2012, 09:12
Jamb sticks in the cracks between the boards to tie off to.

4eyedbuzzard
03-11-2012, 09:29

One way is to just pitch it as a teepee using a trekking pole. Tie down the corners to any rings or in between boards and you're all set. That's my 8 x 10 Etowah on a platform at Liberty Springs (NH) tentsite