PDA

View Full Version : Socks

dmperkins74
03-11-2012, 10:01
I'm a day hiker with occasional 1-2 night outings as well. I've been using the same two pairs of socks for the past couple of years... can't even recall what brand they are and they're a bit warn out. I'm looking for new ones. Recommendations? Was thinking of getting these, but not sure: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/33721?feat=906-CL1

Any input appreciated,
alphaPig

HiKen2011
03-11-2012, 10:07
Darntough sox

Hooch
03-11-2012, 10:11
You'll get a lot of recommendations, but Smartwool and Darn Tough are both great. Personally, I'm a Smartwool guy.

T-Rx
03-11-2012, 10:25
+1 on smartwool. But I have read so many good things about darntough socks that I am considering giving them a try.

MaybeTomorrow
03-11-2012, 10:33
Lycra dive fin socks. 80% nylon 20% spandex

Don H
03-11-2012, 10:53
+2 on Smartwool, I like the Hiker style ones.

Amanita
03-11-2012, 11:04
Darn Tough. Lifetime guarantee. I've got some wool and some of the coomax ones, I wear them as my every day socks.

Dawg
03-11-2012, 13:16
Lots of good sox out there. If you like thinner sox you should check out DeFeet, either Wooleator (thin) or Woolie Boolie (a little thicker). Excellent, long wearing, made in North Carolina.

Tinker
03-11-2012, 14:44
I did a short section hike with Darn Tough and liked them for their durability. I'm thinking more and more, however, that Smartwools tend to be a little smoother inside and easier on the soles of the feet (but I've been laid up for a couple of months and my feet are pretty tender for an old hiker).

I'll second DeFeet's Woolie Bullie socks (fairly heavy and well padded for an ankle sock). I can buy them for cost at the bicycle shop where I work. Comfy and durable.

Wise Old Owl
03-11-2012, 18:40
I stopped purchasing the namebrands above a few years ago - I get the Hunter Socks from Walmart that are in the hunters section for cheap... & toss them after two years. Works Brilliantly.

AnnLee
03-11-2012, 20:19
I wear Thorlos since I am allergic to wool.

jcazz
03-11-2012, 20:30
Drymax http://www.drymaxsocks.com/

trucker2015
03-11-2012, 21:07
I stopped purchasing the namebrands above a few years ago - I get the Hunter Socks from Walmart that are in the hunters section for cheap... & toss them after two years. Works Brilliantly.

I have always done the some.

wythekari
03-11-2012, 21:18
My preference is the REI Expedition weight sock - I like wool and a heavy wght sock; extra cushioning, even it is just in my mind.

Rayo
03-11-2012, 21:21
Darn Tough,de here's why, I own both, and smartwool are too easily stretched out. Darn Tough maintains shape and doesn't lose shape or freshness/firmness, etc., plus there's a lifetime guarantee on DT, smartwool no.

The decision should just have gotten a lot easier.

Shovel
03-11-2012, 21:45
Darn Tough,de here's why, I own both, and smartwool are too easily stretched out. Darn Tough maintains shape and doesn't lose shape or freshness/firmness, etc., plus there's a lifetime guarantee on DT, smartwool no.

The decision should just have gotten a lot easier.

Yep, what Rayo said ! :-) Darn Tough socks will last forever and with comfort ............ light or heavy pack.

jbsbestfan
03-11-2012, 21:54
Darn tough with the fox river liners.

McPick
03-11-2012, 22:16
While restocking food supplies at a Wal-Box store somewhere along the AT, I searched the sock section to see if I could find a non-cotton sock that might be cooler. I found these... Dr. Scholl's Diabetes and Circulatory Health Crew Socks.

(From a retail web site...) Dr. Scholl's Diabetes and Circulatory Health Crew Socks are engineered to enhance circulation and provide dry use all day long. Featuring excellent moisture-wicking properties for maximum dryness and comfort. The DSM-9125 utilizes a non-binding top to improve circulation and to keep the legs unrestricted. The Diabetic Health Crew socks showcase non-irritating, smooth toe seam construction to provide added comfort in the toe area, while anti-Odor fabrication keeps your socks fresh.

The Dr. Scholl's Circulatory Health Crew socks are specifically treated with an antimicrobial agent that resists bacterial odors, even after repeated washings, allowing for long lasting use and wear wash after wash. A classic crew length provides mid-calf coverage while a 2-pack design provides great value. King Size (big & tall) is designed with extra length in the foot and leg for a custom fit and extra comfort.

Features include:
• Fabric Content: 51% Polyester, 41% Acrylic, 7% Nylon, 1% Spandex
•Non-Binding Top Allows For Better Circulation
•Non-Irritating Smooth Toe Seam
•Keeps Feet Drier
•Odor Resistant
•Made In The U.S.A.
•Accepted By The American Podiatric Medical Association
•Sold As A 2-Pack ( I think I paid $12 for the 2-Pack.)

I really like these socks. They are light, durable, comfortable, easy to wash and dry fast. They come in several styles (low cut, crew, etc.) Thankfully, for me, they come in size 12.5 to 14. Plus, the price is right. I still have all my other "hiking socks" and wear them in cooler weather. But in the heat of the late spring, summer and early fall, I'll wear these Dr. Scholl's socks every time!

Miami Joe
03-11-2012, 22:42

F- Wal-Mart. No offense, Wise. I just can't stand that place. SmartWool and Darn Tough are both made in America. Buy them at your locally owned outdoors retailer.

QiWiz
03-12-2012, 11:39
Vermont Darn Tough socks are my favorites, bar none. If you use/need liner socks, I'm a fan of SmartWool merino liner socks.

cabbagehead
03-13-2012, 22:28
I recommend Darn Tough wool socks (about 30% polyester). The thread is tightly wound, and the fabric is dense and tightly woven. I love how they feel. They usually cost between $15 and $30 a pair. They are guaranteed forever, and the company honors the guarantee. If you get a hole in your socks, just bring them to an outfitter that sells them, and you will get a new pair free.