PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Sandals?

jtlee1
03-11-2012, 10:07
I'm considering trying a pair. It seems like they would be lightweight, and nice and cool for a pair of hot feet! Obvious concerns are stability, grip, support, etc., but I have always hiked in the lightest jogging shoes I can find, and I have strong ankles, so now I'm just considering something even lighter and, maybe, easier on the toes on downhills. Are sandals a valid option for the AT?

Any hiking sandal proponents out there? What do you like/dislike about them?

Anyone violently opposed to hiking in sandals?

ScottP
03-11-2012, 10:12
plenty of people have thru-hiked in chacos. They're fine.

sandals didn't work out too well for me, because my feet dried out and got a bunch of bloody cracks. Using lotion and wearing socks with the sandals would have helped, had I known.

rjjones
03-12-2012, 18:55
Ran into a thru hiker last year wearing sandals.Asked him about them and he said he had no ploblems with them at all.When i look at all the scrapes on the sides and toes of my boot i'm sure i would have problems.

Texico
03-13-2012, 01:56
I'm hoping to do a significant portion of my thru this year in Chacos. We'll see how it goes. I love how stiff they are for underfoot support. I like to hop from rock to root to rock when I can (just 'cause it's fun), and Chacos allow me to do so more than any other shoes I've worn. I'll probably be starting and finishing in trail runners for the extra warmth, but I can't say for sure since I'm not at that point yet.

d.o.c
03-13-2012, 07:50
did a healthy portion of new england in my chacos.. would do it again to. it was a major plus in maine VT/NH/ME with water crossings and flooded section due to lots of rain.

jk83
06-12-2012, 23:48
Shoes give better and overal protections, but heavy when wet, take 1-2days to dry out under sunshine. And if you like some air between fingers, travel sandals is the option. Many travel sandals giving blisters after long walks, that they say the insole has something to avoid the bad smell. Try Waylong, an Australian brand. Have many things you need for travel. Lightweight, fast dry, comfort footbed, durable. Use for raftings, climbing, skydiving, hiking, trekking, they're last more than 1year. To avoid bad smell, just wash/clean it, dry out undersunshine, make sure till dry, then no more bad smell becoz of the dirts / sweat. If you are more into the comforts rather than fashion, Waylong gives what you need. Beside, it's very good for your pocket. There is Waylong Travel Australia fan page in facebook.