PDA

View Full Version : ATC guidebooks digitalized for Droids/

jima59
03-11-2012, 11:28
I'm wondering if the ATC will ever spend the time to ebook the Guides and maps for those that want a electronic version. I've added the topo maps I bought and also the ALDHA guidebook and it works great. I know there is a weight factor involved for the Kindle or other tool but can't wait till they do it.

Jim

Wise Old Owl
03-11-2012, 11:55
There is a way to scan your favorite paper maps Photoshop stitch and move the images as photos into any droid I give them a separate folder called Camera Maps and you can retrieve and zoom to any level of detail... it is not too much work but a little time consuming...

jima59
03-11-2012, 16:04
Yes that can be done. I was thinking that they might like to be a bit greener and make it available for us to buy and download off the internet and save a lot of paper resources. Then each year they could sell the updates and changes.

Dodds1990
03-22-2012, 16:17
If you have a smart phone you can put the ALDHA book on there. It should very in PDF format which smart phones can read. I have it on my phone for my upcoming thru-hike in April and it works great.

imscotty
03-22-2012, 16:58
I second your request to see the complete ATC Guides in eBook form. The geological, environmental and historic descriptions the guidebooks offer would add to my hiking experience in a way the Data Books cannot.

Also waiting for the Peterson Field Guides to come out in eBook form. Don't know why this has not happened, it would seem to be a no-brainer. I would love to be able to carry all these books with me on a Kindle while hiking.

Kirby
03-22-2012, 22:46
Just hope you're phone doesn't die, become lost, or have no cell signal.

Because these, obviously, aren't common problems when hiking.

--Kirby

Don H
03-23-2012, 13:45
I think AWOL was doing a version of the AT Guide Book.

4eyedbuzzard
03-23-2012, 13:53
Just hope you're phone doesn't die, become lost, or have no cell signal.

Because these, obviously, aren't common problems when hiking.

--Kirby
Agreed that phones can be lost or batteries die and cell coverage is spotty on the AT, but given that the guide/maps can be stored in the phone or microSD, I think it's certainly an option. Guidebooks and maps can be lost just as easily, so it's mostly a battery life issue.

pdcolelli42
03-23-2012, 16:39
You can get the ALDHA thru hikers companion in pdf on their website. $8 for non-members, free for members. I really want to use just the pdf but I like AWOL's AT guide so much I may still take a few pages from it. For the record, each book has some features/town info that the other does not.