PDA

View Full Version : How is the trail around Glasgow, VA?

rowan
03-11-2012, 16:25
Hey folks,

I am thinking of trying to meet my girl on the trail for a 2 nighter near Glasgow and would love to hear from anyone who has been through the area on how pretty it is, spots to see, etc. I live near Charlotte NC and she is near Washington, DC - this makes the drive about 3 hours and 30 min for both of us. I like how that splits the trip evenly between us but know nothing of the trail conditions, things to see, etc. in that area. Never been that far north on the trail. I'm basically just looking to make sure there are some pretty views and some good hiking before I randomly pick that spot - I'm definitely open to suggestions for hikes in the general area. Thanks so much,

Rowan

Spools
03-11-2012, 16:33
Tell her to meet you at Rt. 60. (next rd. crossing north of rt. 501) IMO much prettier, cold mtn bald, spyrock, lots of creeks. my favorite section so far. granted only 200 miles of AT ive hiked.

on_the_GOEZ
03-11-2012, 16:49
There is some fantastic trail in that area, however I would suggest even further north near the town of Buena Vista would be better. Trail north of there is fantastic (Bald Knob, Tar Jacket Ridge, Cold Mountain, Hog Camp Gap) I must also suggest overnighting in Lexington, VA at the Brierley Hill B&B. Ken and Joyce are fantastic people and incredibly nice to hikers. There is a reduced rate, also!

rowan
03-12-2012, 12:43
There is some fantastic trail in that area, however I would suggest even further north near the town of Buena Vista would be better. Trail north of there is fantastic (Bald Knob, Tar Jacket Ridge, Cold Mountain, Hog Camp Gap) I must also suggest overnighting in Lexington, VA at the Brierley Hill B&B. Ken and Joyce are fantastic people and incredibly nice to hikers. There is a reduced rate, also!

Sounds like a plan... how is the parking situation as far as leaving cars for a few nights near buena vista? i see coordinates in my AT guide...

Kerosene
03-12-2012, 16:35
I parked my car for a week at the Long Mountain Wayside on US-60 at the AT crossing back in October 2002 (wow, 9 years ago already!) without incident. However, I must admit that I was concerned about doing so with a brand new Lexus IS-300.

The section from US-60 to the James River (outside Glasgow) would be ideal for a couple on a 2-nighter. In my 2003 journal, I noted that "the first 6 miles from US-60 to Pedlar Dam would be a perfect weekend introduction to backpacking for the newbie." There is a campsite just after the dam along Little Irish Creek that is accessible by dirt road, although I don't recall the name of the site or if you need to reserve a spot. We stayed at the Punchbowl Shelter 10.6 miles in, with the last half-mile having the toughest climb of the day. You might be able to camp atop Bluff Mountain, but the next available shelter is at Johns Hollow, which is only a mile or two from the James River.

Deer Hunter
03-12-2012, 16:37
I don't believe anybody will bother your vehicle if you park on Rt. 60(Long Mountain Wayside). If you are worried, you can leave a vehicle at my house in Buena Vista.