PDA

View Full Version : Davenport Gap (I40) to Sams Gap (I26)

jduncan7998
03-12-2012, 03:08
I'm currently planning a hike for next February, from Davenport Gap (I40) to Sams Gap (I26)...is there any parking at Sams Gap? Any opinions on this section of the trail? Planning for Feb 2nd-Feb 9th, am i giving myself enough time?

Stir Fry
03-12-2012, 03:16
yes good parking add, 3 days and go to Erwin park at Uncle Jonneys

BabySue
03-12-2012, 06:51
To park and/or access the AT at Sam's Gap from I-26, you must go to the next exit past Sam's Gap to the south (exit 3 in NC). That is, take the first NC exit if you're coming from TN, or take the last NC exit if you're coming up from Asheville area. This is the same exit as Wolf Laurel ski area. Take the access road east for a few hundred yards to US hwy. 23 and go north up to the state line where the AT goes under Interstate 26. As mentioned above, there's good parking there.

Kerosene
03-12-2012, 10:01
Follow BabySue's directions for Sam's Gap parking. There's probably room for at least a dozen cars in a paved parking lot straddling the trail crossing.

Instead of parking at Davenport Gap, I suggest you park at the Standing Bear Farm Hostel a mile south of I-40 on Green Corner Road.

7 days should be enough time to cover this section, although you probably won't be able to stay in Hot Springs for a night. At least treat yourself to a beer at the Iron Horse Saloon just to your right before you cross the railroad tracks and river north of town. I went from Erwin to Davenport Gap in 8 days a few years ago, and that was with a balky knee.

There are a number of highlights on this section, including views from Snowbird, Max Patch, Lover's Leap (just north of Hot Springs), Rich Mountain Firetower, Camp Creek Bald Firetower, White Cliff Rocks and Big Firescald Knob. It will likely be pretty brisk atop many of these mountains in early February (2013?) however. A mid-May or mid-October hike would be preferable in my opinion.

jduncan7998
03-12-2012, 10:45
Thank you for all of the information. I am currently in Afghanistan on an 8 month deployment, that's why i'm planning on a feb 2013 hike. I wish i could do an October 2012 hike but i won't be able to take leave until December, and i do not want to go hiking in December. But i know things can change. I will however, once i return home, will be completing two sections that i have missed...the NOC to Fontana Dam and NewFound Gap to Davenport Gap. I did Fontana Dam to NewFound Gap this past December. I will take into consideration of adding 3 days and ending in Erwin. I average about 11-13 miles a day.

Stir Fry
03-12-2012, 13:01
11 to 13 miles a day you can do Davenport to Erwin in 8 day 9 if you dont want the last day to be 16 miles. Keep in mind the last 5 miles is mosly down on switch backs easy hiking. I'm doing that section for the 3ed time in April I'll have two new hikers with me. I'll let you know how they do. The are both in the 40s so it will give you an indication of dificulty.

wornoutboots
03-12-2012, 17:18
It's a Great Section!! I 2nd the Erwin to Standing Bear idea!! & the beer at the Iron Horse!! You can park at Standing Bear & Curtis will shuttle you to Erwin. Happy Hiking & Thank You for serving Our Great Country!

jduncan7998
03-12-2012, 23:23
Thanks!! I'm really looking forward to getting back on the trail. I'm kinda, i guess you would call, OCD about hiking Northward. lol. Stir Fry, i will be interested to hear how your trip goes, and how your new hikers do. When i do this section, it will either be with one of my brothers or both of my brothers, and they are younger than me. jduncan7998 at ya hoo dot com