PDA

View Full Version : Record Highs

Transient Being
03-12-2012, 13:02
So, what's up with the record highs this year? Making me want to get out there a.s.a.p. Would like to get in some cool nights, before the heat sets in. I just checked the weather for Hot Springs, NC, and over the next 10 days only three make it into the fortys. 49, 47, and 45 are the three coldest on forecast, with the other seven being in the low 50's.

So the question is, who thinks there's gonna be another cold snap or two and if so, how cold? I'm talking southern VA AT. I'm planning a 40 day trip and trying to decide between 15 or 30 deg. bag. There's a considerable weight difference between the bags, so I'd like to go with the 30. It's 1-1/4 pounds lighter, and I'm thinkin' I could take it to 25 comfortably, 15 liveable.

I know some of ya'll are probably gettin' tired of all the questions. Take comfort, I'll be on the trail soon. :D

coach lou
03-12-2012, 13:13
I don't see the savings out-weighing your comfort at nite, I mean, you say it's only a pound.25. If you sleep better, you'll eat less in the morning and walk better during the day. That's just the way I think, that's all.

swjohnsey
03-12-2012, 13:57
It could still get into the teen. Are you gonna carry a bag for the one cold night or the 39 warm nights. I'm carrying a 35 degree bag but plan to sleep in all my clothes on cold nights. Record low for Hot Springs on May 1st is 32 degrees.

MJW155
03-12-2012, 14:05
Seriously doubt it's going to get into the teens. This is just one of those years where it's warm. Take advantage of it!

Gray Blazer
03-12-2012, 14:09
Record low for Mar 21 in Damascus ... 4degrees

swjohnsey
03-12-2012, 14:18
Record low for Mar 21 in Damascus ... 4degrees

My almanac show it as 14 degrees.

Chaco Taco
03-12-2012, 15:23
Its 68 in Concord NH!. This time last year we had about 2 feet of snow on the ground

Blissful
03-12-2012, 15:39
It will get cold again, and probably snow too. We had 70s in the Smokies mid march in '07. It snowed Easter in April on Roan.

Chaco Taco
03-12-2012, 16:04
Snowed 10 inches here on March 3-4. Only places there is snow now is in parking lots and thats melting very fast. Will be an easy thaw from last year even if it gets cold again.

coach lou
03-12-2012, 16:13
Another bad sign is the water in the streams and small rivers......they look like August, low and clear. They should be raging and muddy!!!

doritotex
03-12-2012, 17:03
I live 20 miles from Hot Springs, and am on the trail between Hot Springs and Erwin 12 months of the year. Tomorrow I'm doing my first overnight of the year, (I'm from Texas so I'm a wimp with anything colder than 45). Temps will be in the low 70's and mid 40's at night this week, but remember it's 8 to 10 degrees cooler in the mountains. We usually get one last snow or freeze the first week of April.
The extended forcast for next week shows the same temps, but a cold front is supposed to come in on Sat March 24 with a low of 30. Then warming back up.
Last April 17th, I awoke in my tent at Jerry's cabin with ice all over the rain fly and my water bottle inside the tent partially frozen. The day had started out in the high 60's. I was warm with a 32 degree bag and was surprised to see ice.
I wouldn't worry, if there is one last cold snap it probably will warm up during the day, and not be that cold at night. Take the warmer bag.

Hennessy
03-12-2012, 17:22
I blame Al Gore. He had to go and invent global warming... now we're looking at 80 degrees in the Ozarks tomorrow.

swjohnsey
03-12-2012, 17:22
I blame Al Gore. He had to go and invent global warming... now we're looking at 80 degrees in the Ozarks tomorrow.

I thought he invented the internet.

Hennessy
03-12-2012, 17:26
I thought he invented the internet.

And pants, too... from what I hear.

Tomorrow looks nice for a little walk. Might see if I can find time for a good 17 miler around the wilderness area.

GrassyNoel
03-12-2012, 17:57
I think I might have hiked the last two days of winter in NY on Friday and Saturday. It might have been a bit cold, but I'll probably look back on those temps fondly very soon!

Gray Blazer
03-13-2012, 07:01
My almanac show it as 14 degrees.

Stupid me. I was going by weatherchannel.com and it says the record low was 4 degrees in 1965. 4 or 14, either is cold. You never know, there could be record heat. I can't believe someone mentioned the goreacal in this thread and didn't get deleted yet.

Transient Being
03-13-2012, 15:53
Thanks for the suggestions everybody! I'm going with the 30. I agree with swjohnsey take the 15 for the one cold night or the 30 for the 39 not so cold nights. Also, thanks Doritotex for the advice, sounds good!

pdcolelli42
03-13-2012, 19:58
Hopefully it's not too late to chime in. I'd say it depends a little on what other insulation you plan to carry. If it gets down 20 or below and you have only light insulation (ie: nanopuff) and the lighter bag you could be uncomfortably cold. Then what? Do you make a fire, do sleeping bag situps? Also something to consider is what you use for a sleeping pad. A CCF pad may be chilly at temps below freezing. A neo air may do a bit better but unless it's insulated you could get cold from below at the low low temps.

For the record I'm using a 28* quilt, neo air, merino base layers, merino hoody, nano puff, down booties, and down balaclava. I expect to be fine to 20*.

Spools
03-15-2012, 18:22
I'm in the same boat as the OP, the heat is making me question my gear selection. I'm getting dropped off at springer on sat. Mar 17 and i was planning on using a modular sleeping bag system. I have a MH phantom 32, but found it to be a about a 45 degree bag. Thinking this to be insufficient for my needs i purchased a SnugPak jungle bag(syn), also rated at 45 deg. and with the down bag inside the snugpak I slept comfortably at 14 degrees. With the combined weight just under 40 oz would it be worth it to bring both? Or should i just bring the MH bag and just suffer through some cold nights?

rocketsocks
03-15-2012, 18:50
I'm in the same boat as the OP, the heat is making me question my gear selection. I'm getting dropped off at springer on sat. Mar 17 and i was planning on using a modular sleeping bag system. I have a MH phantom 32, but found it to be a about a 45 degree bag. Thinking this to be insufficient for my needs i purchased a SnugPak jungle bag(syn), also rated at 45 deg. and with the down bag inside the snugpak I slept comfortably at 14 degrees. With the combined weight just under 40 oz would it be worth it to bring both? Or should i just bring the MH bag and just suffer through some cold nights?Go for the suffering!builds character

Pedaling Fool
03-15-2012, 20:24
NASA says you don't even need a sleeping bag ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztz3ZdPbdKo

Transient Being
03-15-2012, 20:48
Arrgh, making it difficult eh? lol...jk. I've got a WM Flash hooded down jacket, fleece balaclava, capeline 2 bottoms and capeline 3 top, some thick socks, and might bring a montbell UL down jacket also. That way I can stuff a down jacket around my feet and wear the other one if it get's that cold. I could also boil some water and put in a water bottle to put down in my bag. I've always wanted to try that trick out.