PDA

View Full Version : Reservoir cleaning kit question

Eywa Dude
03-12-2012, 13:08
I bought a cleaning kit for my Platypus reservoir which consists of a 16" reservoir brush and a long, flexible tube brush. The kit weighs 88 grams. These may be a really stupid questions, as I'm new to using a reservoir, but here it goes:

1. Do I really need to carry this kit with me, or can I send it ahead in my bounce box at specific intervals? (I will be putting only water in my reservoir - no sports drinks). What are your thoughts and suggestions on dealing with this kit?

2. How often do I have to clean my reservoir? Is it a whiff/taste test kind of thing?

3. Do I have to use reservoir specific cleaning tabs, or can I use something like Polident? And if I do have to use reservoir specific tabs, are they readily available on the trail?

4. Sorry for using the word "reservoir" in this post so much! Thanks guys.

moof53
03-12-2012, 15:34
I use a Camelbak but it should be about the same. Also, these are just my opinions and not gospel.

1. Carrying the kit. Have used the Camelbak for several years but nothing over more than about 10 days at any one time. For my 2013 thru I plan on putting cleaning items for the water bladder in my bounce box which I will get to ever couple of weeks. As long as I rinse it out, especially the drinking tube, every couple of days along the trail it should be good for a couple of weeks without a complete cleaning. The drinking tube is a little more sensitive to cleaning I think than the bladder itself.

2. Usually I can begin to detect a plastic taste which to me means it is time to clean. Letting it set in the heat for long periods of time without use will decrease the time between cleanings.

3. I know a lot of people use Polident to freshen the bladder because they don't want to buy the tabs. I believe even Camelbak on their site suggests this as an alternative. However, I use the tabs.

Don't know if you are aware but there is another company besides Camelbak and Platypus that manufactures water bladders. According to their website and reviews by some younger military guys I know they use a different material for the bladder and they don't have to be maintained nearly as much. They are very resistant to mold. However, my guess is that the tube probably needs more regular cleaning like Platypus or Camelbak. The website is http://sourceoutdoor.com/

Hope this helps.

Spokes
03-12-2012, 15:43
Never once used a cleaning kit for the platy's I carried. Brush? lol.....

Only carry water in mine. Just cleaned them once I got into town with a couple drops of plain old dishwashing soap and a good swishing. Give it a good rinse and move on.

Not convinced? Throw the kit in your bounce box. You can always send it home once you get comfortable with the daily routine of thru hike equipment maintenance.

Tom Murphy
03-12-2012, 16:01
I am a section hiker and I clean my reservoir twice a year. Once in the fall when I put it away and once in the spring when I add it back into my gear list.

I use the reservoir for WATER ONLY. I avoid adding powder mix like Gatorade or Kool Aid to it. The sugars left behind by those mixes is a breeding ground for bacteria, mold, etc.

Since the reservoir is going to see regular use, it is constantly being cleaned out. IMO it is the long periods of stagnancy that are a concern.

I use a drop of bleach but for dirty reservoirs a few Efferdent Denture Cleanser tabs are the same ingredients as the tabs sold in the cleaning kits.

The Snowman
03-12-2012, 16:40
I just clean mine twice a year with vvinger and baking soda sometimes a little bleach.

Maren
03-12-2012, 17:20
I use Polident once or twice a year and it works fine. Other than that, if I'm using my bladder constantly, I give it a good rinse here and there with a little soap. Never had a problem. I personally wouldn't bother with the kit.

Don H
03-13-2012, 06:03
If you're using Aqua Mira or bleach to treat your water your cleaning it every time you refill.