PDA

View Full Version : help! Cell reception at Dick's Creep gap?

Stats 2012
03-12-2012, 13:12
I need to call my family to come get me from Dick's Creep Gap, GA on US 76. can I make a call from there? My carrier is Verizon. My phone is a Droid Razr. Thanks for the help!

max patch
03-12-2012, 13:53
I can't give you specific Verizon intel, but Dicks Creek is well known as a location where there is no cell service. Hiking NOBO you need to call before you get there. Most common advice is to call before you make your descent to the gap. Ron Haven, whose info can be trusted, recently posted that you can call from the Deep Gap shelter (which is about 3 miles from Dicks). He also advised that if you get to Dicks and still need to call you can hike about a mile on 76 (he didn't say but almost certainly to the west towards Hiawassee) and you will get service.

generoll
03-12-2012, 14:25
I'm told that if you go up to the top picnic table you may be able to get a signal. What I usually advise people to do is to watch for the green bench beside the trail just trail south of the gap and try your call from there. It's roughly 15 minutes from the gap and either right there or back up the trail a bit will give you a usable signal. As the trees put out new leaves the reception deteriorates so you may have to back track farther as the summer comes. If you call when you hear trafic you won't be too far wrong.

waywardfool
03-12-2012, 14:46
And...lots of times you can get a text out when you can't make a call.

waywardfool
03-12-2012, 14:47
And...lots of times you can get a text out when you can't make a call.

to clarify...in general, not necessarily at that particular location.

flemdawg1
03-12-2012, 15:40
I got a strong enough T-mobile signal at Deep Gap Shelter that my boss at work called me during lunch and read to me the mandatory workplace training I neglected to sign off before leaving. Worst 1 hour of the whole trip.

Stats 2012
03-19-2012, 11:27
Thanks all! Just came from there and your advice was on target! Hit a hitch to Hiawassee anyway!