PDA

View Full Version : New pack ?

dturb
03-12-2012, 14:53
So I've been looking at updating my pack. I currently have an older (60 or so years old) REI Valhalla which as of late is just too big. The price you pay for upgrading to smaller & lighter equipment. I'm leaning towards two brands....Deuter & Osprey. Somewhere in the area of 50L (3,000 cubic inches of space +/-). Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

One more month til the 1st hike of the year...can't wait!!!

dturb
03-12-2012, 14:55
6 or so years (not 60....LOL!!)

HiKen2011
03-12-2012, 15:23
osprey exos 46 is a great pack

bigcranky
03-14-2012, 07:00
The Exos 46 is a nice pack, though it didn't fit me well at all - I think it's made for thinner people. The Kestrel series is nice, though not particularly lightweight.

turtle fast
03-14-2012, 11:26
Check out ULA packs...the Catalyst might be right for you...possibly the Circuit. Made in the USA, built well and would be relevant 10 years from now. Made by a thru hiker for hikers. They are intuitive and once used it is clear that thought was put into the design of it from a hiking perspective like the "catch all" pocket on the back or the roll down top. The packs ride well and importantly do not weigh a ton.

T-Rx
03-14-2012, 14:01
Definitely check out ULA packs. I have a catalyst and have been very pleased. They also have great customer service which is a rare thing these days.

swammie
03-14-2012, 14:24
Has anyone given the new REI FLASH 52 or 62 a look or a try? 2lb 14oz for 59 liters of capacity.

turtle fast
03-15-2012, 02:29
Yep saw one a few weeks ago. The REI Flash I looked at was nice looking, but the pack I looked at needed better stitching work. I was curious of any reviews on it too...as the light weight caught my eye. I thought it was a daypack at first.

swammie
03-16-2012, 00:11
http://sectionhiker.com/rei-flash-62-backpack-review/

larkspur
02-20-2013, 19:56
the best backpack i've used was an ll bean continental rucksack. it was light, comfy, relativity durable, and a good size(for me)

i_Hike
02-21-2013, 08:44
In love with the Osprey Atmos 50. Airspeed suspension is phenomenal.
However, just bought a ULA Circuit for JMT thru hike this coming summer. Alittle more room, a little less weight, ability to fit bear canister.
Both great packs in my opinion. Atmos will handle heavy loads (30-35lbs +) a little better. Though if your other gear has not been updated in 50-60 years either, these packs may not be the best option.

i_Hike
02-21-2013, 10:01
Sorry, missed that 3rd sentence about "smaller and lighter equipment". If you want the best service around, light( 39 ounces) , quality pack, go with the ULA Circuit. Catalyst would be too big for you if you are looking for 50L, 3000 cu in. pack. The Circuit is around 4000 cu in. Catalyst is considerably bigger. At the very least google search "ULA reviews"and see what others are saying.

BougalouBlain
02-01-2014, 17:45
Is the marine corp's ILBE pack a good pack for thru hiking the entire AT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hill Ape
02-01-2014, 18:21
depends, are you Marine?

seriously, i'd say no. that ruck is heavy and designed for 1. combat 2. to be modular with MOLLE gear. one of the companies that produces the ILBE, makes very high quality civilian packs as well. granite gear

Magic_Mack
02-01-2014, 20:11
I own 3 Deuters

sillar68
02-01-2014, 22:09
I don't hear about these much, but this seems like a good deal for 47L.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/exped-lightning-45-mens.html?gclid=CMmcpKTuhrwCFY9lOgod_koADA

bigcranky
02-01-2014, 22:15

I'm sure it's been done. It will certainly carry all of the gear needed for a thru-hike. I've seen some prior-service hikers using military packs and clothing on their thru-hikes, so that stuff does work.

It's not ideal, as Hill Ape points out, because it's totally overbuilt for civilian hiking. So it'll work. Not sure if that makes it "good" or not. :)

The Army gave me an ALICE rucksack. Might have been a few years ago.... Even with the optional frame it would have been murder on my back for a long hike. That ILBE looks pretty sweet for its intended purpose.

DocMahns
02-01-2014, 22:22
I was going to use the ILBE Gen 2 that I tactically acquired... however, it's about 8 lbs empty, if your baseweight is 35 lbs (seems to be about average from what I've been reading, could be wrong) that's almost a quarter of your baseweight. I'm currently looking at the ULA Catalyst as a replacement which will save me around 5 pounds that could be extra gear or get my baseweight down to 30 lbs.

RinoaPops
02-02-2014, 09:39
A pack is one of the next pieces of equipment that I'm looking at. Lots of good information and thoughts in the preceding posts.

Busky2
02-03-2014, 03:12
I have gone from a 2lb zimmerbuilt to a Deuter 65 +10 ACT and I am happier for it. Yes it weights more but feels better everywhere it hugs my core and supports my poor back and transfers the load more comfortably to the hips that my zimmer ever did. Oh, and at half the price too!

brancher
02-03-2014, 07:03
REI Flash 45 works well for a great price at 50L for a large size - Once in awhile last year's model will show up on REI clearance site for about $65-$85 bucks. Decent stays and suspension but must be packed correctly for UL stuff at just over 2 lbs. Also ULA Ohm is a great pack as is the ULA Circuit. Try Elemental Designs Kalais or Aduro for the best suspension/weight ratio. The Kalais is only about 27 oz and is widely regarded as one of the best ul pack/suspension combos.

Drybones
02-03-2014, 09:16
Has anyone given the new REI FLASH 52 or 62 a look or a try? 2lb 14oz for 59 liters of capacity.

I have an earlier version of both packs, the Flash 65 band Flash 50. They're okay packs but can't compare with the Granite Gear Crown 60 I now use. I do still use the REI packs for shorter hikes to save the GG for long hikes.

Drybones
02-03-2014, 09:23
I have gone from a 2lb zimmerbuilt to a Deuter 65 +10 ACT and I am happier for it. Yes it weights more but feels better everywhere it hugs my core and supports my poor back and transfers the load more comfortably to the hips that my zimmer ever did. Oh, and at half the price too!

Lightweight doesn't neccessarily mean less comfort, and a lot of it depends on the individual. I also have the Deuter 65 + 10 but find the GG Crown 60 much more comfortable with the loads I carry (< 35 lbs). If I were carrying loads > 35 lbs for several days the Deuter might work better, I started with 42 lbs for a week in the Rockies and the Deuter was pretty comfortable.

Mountain Springs
02-13-2014, 02:51

I have an IBLE pack, but is overkill in every way for thru hiking. Huge and deadly strong though. I can carry my four children in it at once (ages 2-6.)

kennyxedge
02-13-2014, 22:23
Echoing the ULA suggestions. Great packs, and great people to deal with.

Biggie Master
02-13-2014, 22:39
Another vote for ULA. Love my Ohm2

G2outdoors
02-13-2014, 22:59
I LOVE my osprey Exos 58. It's a bit overkill for summer so I'm thinking of picking up an Ohm for hotter weather.

Sent from my Hammock.

Vthiker77
02-22-2014, 08:39
Another ULA endorsement here. Great, user friendly, rugged packs. And light too :)

kunzman
02-22-2014, 10:32
Another vote for ULA. Love my Ohm2

I second that!

Weather-man
02-22-2014, 20:50
I just switched from a ULA Circuit, which I really like, to a Zpack 52L blast. I made the switch due to an injury that's driving me to go as light as practical. I haven't yet had a chance to shake the Zpack out on the trail yet but am hoping to to get to Ocala for few days in a week or so. I will say that it's absolutely comfortable loaded with 20 lbs which is my avg pack weight, with food, for a 4-5 trip. Looking forward to putting some miles in with this pack.

bamboo bob
02-22-2014, 21:11
http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/index.php?cPath=25 My favorite.

bfayer
02-22-2014, 21:34
...if your baseweight is 35 lbs (seems to be about average from what I've been reading, could be wrong)

A base weight of 35 lbs is actually on the heavy side. I would call that an average for fully loaded, but not base. If your base weight is 35, and you add 4 lbs of water (2qt), 6 pounds of food (3 days @ 2 lbs a day), and another 1 lb of fuel and other expendables, you are at 46 lbs. Add more food, or water and...

If I were you I would try to get my base down to as close to 20 as you can, or less if possible.

I am not a thru hiker, but I hike in VA, and see a lot of thrus every summer, it is fairly rare for me to see a thru in VA that has a pack that is that heavy. I would say it is also fairly rare to see any true ultralight thru hikers in VA. I guess it could be the ultralighter's are so fast I miss seeing them however :)

DocMahns
02-22-2014, 21:59
A base weight of 35 lbs is actually on the heavy side. I would call that an average for fully loaded, but not base. If your base weight is 35, and you add 4 lbs of water (2qt), 6 pounds of food (3 days @ 2 lbs a day), and another 1 lb of fuel and other expendables, you are at 46 lbs. Add more food, or water and...

If I were you I would try to get my base down to as close to 20 as you can, or less if possible.

I am not a thru hiker, but I hike in VA, and see a lot of thrus every summer, it is fairly rare for me to see a thru in VA that has a pack that is that heavy. I would say it is also fairly rare to see any true ultralight thru hikers in VA. I guess it could be the ultralighter's are so fast I miss seeing them however :)

Haha, I posted this before learning. I have my actual baseweight less food and water down to 17.8 lbs and now realize that 35 lbs would have been ridiculous.

bfayer
02-22-2014, 22:22
Haha, I posted this before learning. I have my actual baseweight less food and water down to 17.8 lbs and now realize that 35 lbs would have been ridiculous.

Sounds better :)

A base weight like that is normal, pretty good actually. I know, I just made the ultralighters scream.

DocMahns
02-22-2014, 23:14
Sounds better :)

A base weight like that is normal, pretty good actually. I know, I just made the ultralighters scream.

I am super comfortable with that weight, so much so I'm looking at ways (at a great cost to my wallet) to lower my base weight so that I'm not carrying around so much when I do have to add the food and water.

marjirob
02-22-2014, 23:42
We just got the new Osprey Exos packs, a 48 for me and a 58 for my husband. We've been carrying them loaded up all week on our training hikes and are quite pleased with them. They seemed well designed and fit us comfortably. We head out on the AT on March 14th with these new packs and we think they will serve us well. Good luck with your search!

daddytwosticks
02-23-2014, 07:29
We just got the new Osprey Exos packs, a 48 for me and a 58 for my husband. We've been carrying them loaded up all week on our training hikes and are quite pleased with them. They seemed well designed and fit us comfortably. We head out on the AT on March 14th with these new packs and we think they will serve us well. Good luck with your search!
Can you give us more info on these new packs? I'm looking to get the 48 soon. How is the new style hip belts and shoulder belts?

winger
03-01-2014, 18:35
I have a ULA catalyst and ohm and a mystery ranch trance, and a gregory savant 38. I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the six moon designs new pack, the fusion. Comfort in carrying a pack takes precedence over the actual empty pack weight and I'm glad to see SMD pursuing that thought in the Fusion concept. I shave unnecessary weight from my gear, and for me a 2-4 lb pack is worth the extra weight if it supports and transfers it's contents comfortably.

LibertyBell
10-29-2014, 12:00
I am also looking for a new pack and currently have a Gregory Whitney 95 which is way too big and way to heavy, 7+ pounds. I went to REI and looked at several pack in the 3 to 4 pound area and around 4000 cubic inches. The Osprey Volt is under 4 lbs and fits a medium sized guy pretty good. I did not like that it only had top access though. The Gregory Contour series is also under 4 lbs and has lots of options. Both are very adjustable but I think I like the Gregory better. Go and look at them and try them on before you buy. It is like the cereal isle though, so many to choose from and hard to make a decision.