PDA

View Full Version : Easiest way to get to the Harrisburg Greyhound Station?

Bobcat'12
03-12-2012, 21:44
What is the easiest way to get to the Harrisburg, PA Greyhound Station from the AT?

ShakeyLeggs
03-13-2012, 06:09
There are three ways to skin this cat.

First would be get to Boiling Springs and catch a shuttle to the station.

Second would be get to Boiling Springs catch or hitch to Carlisle then take Capital Area Transit bus to the station.

Third would be to hike into Duncannon catch a shuttle to the station.

GoldenBear
03-13-2012, 10:40
The AT goes across the Pennsylvania Turnpike, US Highway 11, and I-81 at Carlisle.

Do a map search for "Appalachian Drive" in ZIP Code 17015 for the exact placement.

This is why the Super Eight there advertises itself with these words: "Whether you just emerged from an Appalachian Trail hike or a long drive, our Super 8 Carlisle North hotel is located off Interstates 76 and 81, close to Carlisle Fairgrounds and Dickenson College."

Route 'C' of the Capital Area Transit goes from that highway to downtown Harrisburg about ten times a day, WEEKDAYS ONLY.

This PDF gives the exact route and schedule:

http://www.cattransit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Route-C-Carlisle-Local-2011.12.12.pdf

Because the intersection of the AT with US Highway 11 is still in Zone 1, the fare is $1.75

The Greyhound Station is at 411 Market Street.

paradoxb3
03-14-2012, 16:34
I hit the Greyhound station in Harrisburg, PA in 2010 via Duncannon to visit family for a few days mid-thru hike. I got a shuttle into Harrisburg from the operator of the campground/bait shop heading north on the AT out of Duncannon, and Trail Angel Mary picked me up and brought me back to the trailhead when I returned 5 days later. Both charged me $20 I believe... I certainly suggest a shuttle -- you most likely WONT get a hitch there, and the Greyhound station appears to be in a not-so-friendly area of town... I wouldn't have wanted to hoof it anywhere in that part of Harrisburg.

trailangelmary
03-15-2012, 11:46
Because of gas prices my shuttle cost presenty is $25.You can reach me at 717-834-4706. I live in Duncannon, PA

trailangelmary
03-15-2012, 11:49
The AT goes across the Pennsylvania Turnpike, US Highway 11, and I-81 at Carlisle.

Do a map search for "Appalachian Drive" in ZIP Code 17015 for the exact placement.

This is why the Super Eight there advertises itself with these words: "Whether you just emerged from an Appalachian Trail hike or a long drive, our Super 8 Carlisle North hotel is located off Interstates 76 and 81, close to Carlisle Fairgrounds and Dickenson College."

Route 'C' of the Capital Area Transit goes from that highway to downtown Harrisburg about ten times a day, WEEKDAYS ONLY.

This PDF gives the exact route and schedule:

http://www.cattransit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Route-C-Carlisle-Local-2011.12.12.pdf

Because the intersection of the AT with US Highway 11 is still in Zone 1, the fare is $1.75

The Greyhound Station is at 411 Market Street.

There is also a once a day CAT bus into Harrisburg and once a day CAT bus out of Harrisburg (geared to state employees) from the parking lot at the 147 trailhead (just on the other side of the Clarks Ferry Bridge from Duncannon).