PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with minimal mail drop

josh12
03-12-2012, 22:51
has anyone done a nobo thru hike without using alot of mail drops? or heard of anyone doing it? i only ask because it just seems like it would be a hassel to deal with the postal service. i would much rather resupply both food and supplies when needed.

wawatea
03-12-2012, 23:03
I just spoke w/ a friend who thru-hiked last year and said he may have sent 4 boxes ahead of time. Only to certain places such as Fontana Dam and places in Maine which had minimal resupply options.

SCRUB HIKER
03-12-2012, 23:26
Search the forum for threads about mail drops. You'll see that lots and lots of people thru-hike both directions without them, myself included.

Lando11
03-12-2012, 23:43
I thru hiked last year and never mailed food to myself. The only things.I had mailed to me were shoes, that I usually had sent to outfitters instead of post offices. Better option in my mind, longer hours and usually open 7 days a week. But, there are a few places where a mail drop of food wouldn't hurt. The main 1 being Fontana dam, but the p.o is closed I believe? The general store is way overpriced. Maine in several towns it doesn't hurt to have food sent, unless you can do a full resupply at gas stations, which I managed to do just fine. Overall, if I was to hike the AT again, I would not have any food mailed to me. What you think you'll like early on, and what you actually enjoy eating will change.

BrianLe
03-13-2012, 00:29
I had five mail drops on the AT, and ditto, all for shoes, plus gear swaps, but included some food in a couple of cases since the box was going anyway. Mine were Fontana Dam NC, Pearisburg VA, Harpers Ferry WV, Kent CT, and Glencliff NH. Worked well, though I understand the P.O. is closing (closed?) in Glencliff; maybe the hostel there will accept boxes.

turtle fast
03-13-2012, 01:57
It can be done, but realistically you will need 3 or 4 food drops (add toilet paper, many forget to). You will need to as well for gear resupply if something breaks or wears out. The resupply article by Baltimore Jack here on Whiteblaze is excellent. Fontana Dam resupply can be more expensive at the store, but can be done...if you add up the shipping cost to your resupply box to Fontana Dam post office, I would argue it would be even with the stuff you would buy there.

stranger
03-13-2012, 04:48
You certainly don't need to pre-prepare any maildrops, but it does make sense in some places to have them. I've never thrued but have done three hikes over 500 miles, so have been around a little...what I like to do is buy extra food in a place like Hiawassee or Franklin, then mail it to Fontana Dam, where the grocery store is unreliable, especially in thru-hiker season. There are a few places like this on the AT, but overall you can deal with it as you go, just look ahead a couple towns stops to see if the grocery stores are limited. Many, many hikers do the whole trail with NO maildrops.

Lone Wolf
03-13-2012, 07:21
has anyone done a nobo thru hike without using alot of mail drops? or heard of anyone doing it? i only ask because it just seems like it would be a hassel to deal with the postal service. i would much rather resupply both food and supplies when needed.

i've done 5 thru-hikes and never had a food drop. they're not needed

swjohnsey
03-13-2012, 07:29
Interesting how folks have different perceptions of the same situation. I found that the store at Fontana Dam had a good selection of the stuff that thru hikers needed and no more expensive than an other convenience store. NOC on the other hand . . . You can get by without mail drops but it makes life easier for me. I can get everything I need in one spot in a few minutes, food, toiletries, batteries, meds and even fuel canisters. I even like post offices for mail drops because they are secure and responsible. If you don't show up for some reason you package will be forwarded/returned.

Spokes
03-13-2012, 09:13

Six of one, half dozen of the other. You have the choice to do either one or a combination.

So what about swapping out equipment (cold/warm weather items)? Most thru's enjoy the ability of sending the heavy stuff home near Pearsiburg and getting the cold stuff back around Hanover.

garlic08
03-13-2012, 09:36
It pays to be flexible especially on your first hike. If you haven't done this before, it makes little sense to assume that you know what kind of food you're going to be wanting to eat after hiking 1200 miles and it's really hot out. Maybe you don't really want to cook up a pot of warm, salty glop in a cloud of mosquitoes. Mail drops keep you to a set diet and a schedule--not my hike. Part of the fun for me was not knowing exactly what I'd be eating after the next town.

I hiked the AT without a single food drop. (I solved the Fontana Dam problem by stopping at Robbinsville, 15 trail miles before the Dam, where there's a good grocery store an easy hitch from Stecoah Gap.) I used mail drops for some new shoes and guide book sections, about every 700 miles. On a busy trail like the AT, food is simply not a huge problem. There was a pretty long stretch in the mid-Atlantic where I was able to eat at a restaurant within a mile of the trail every day, for about a dozen days in a row.

Of course, if you're a planner and enjoy schedules and spreadsheets, and/or have specific dietary needs, mail drops could be a good idea, I suppose.

Grampie
03-13-2012, 10:09
No mail drops needed. All towns along the trail cater to hiker needs. Don't tie your hike to a post office schedule.

takethisbread
03-13-2012, 11:46
No mail drops needed. All towns along the trail cater to hiker needs. Don't tie your hike to a post office schedule.
I agree. I never used them. I'd say 25% or so simply don't, but there is a guess. Waste of time unless you have out of the ordinary food, gear or fuel needs.

jeffmeh
03-13-2012, 11:51
I would not want to be tied to a post office schedule, but many outfitters, hostels, motels, etc. accept mail drops, sometimes for a fee. Many also provide internet service to print postage and will allow you to mail out also. Bouncing a box can be useful.

Pony
03-13-2012, 17:45
I bounced maps up the trail and cold/warm weather gear. Other than that the only food was in care packages from family. I found that even if it is at a gas station with a crappy selection, there will most likely be enough to get you to the next town for a proper resupply.

swjohnsey
03-13-2012, 20:20
You might end up eatin' jerky, Twinkies and Snikers for a few days.

Spokes
03-13-2012, 20:26
You might end up eatin' jerky, Twinkies and Snikers for a few days.

Ha ha. You heard about the hiker who said he didn't like Ramen Noodles because they were too plain? He kept throwing away the flavor packet thinking it was a moisture absorption pouch!

swjohnsey
03-13-2012, 20:37
Ha ha. You heard about the hiker who said he didn't like Ramen Noodles because they were too plain? He kept throwing away the flavor packet thinking it was a moisture absorption pouch!

The magic flavor packet! Add a can of chicken, a can of VegAll, a little Tobasco and you have a real meal.

bobtomaskovic
04-01-2012, 22:05
I only did one to Caratunk,ME and it was worth it.

COG 2011

bobtomaskovic
04-01-2012, 22:10
Oh I forgot I sent it from Stratton,ME

COG 2011

owl
04-01-2012, 22:17
Really anymore you don't need any drops in the real trail towns they have what you need unless your making your own dehydrated stuff than a mail drop may be needed