PDA

View Full Version : Southern Highlands 2005: July 1-8

Stuart
03-27-2005, 10:29
Any feedback from those that have previously attended this or similar ATC conferences? Worth going to or not? Looks good on paper... numerous workshops, numerous hikes. Any idea as to past or expected attendance?

Event Website: Southern Highlands 2005 Website (http://www.southernhighlands2005.org)

July 1-8
East Tennessee State University
Johnson City, Tenn

hikerjohnd
03-27-2005, 10:59
Any feedback from those that have previously attended this or similar ATC conferences? Worth going to or not? Looks good on paper... numerous workshops, numerous hikes. Any idea as to past or expected attendance?

Event Website: Southern Highlands 2005 Website (http://www.southernhighlands2005.org)

July 1-8
East Tennessee State University
Johnson City, Tenn

Isn't this the meeting where the new name officially begins? I suspect there will be more people attending than usual if that is the case...

hiker33
03-27-2005, 15:09
I've attended six out of the last eight meetings. Attendees tend to be retirees, some of whom seem to use it as an elderhostel by attending the excursions and not attending the meetings, workshops, etc. or showing much interest in the Trail. But overall the experience is a positive one. Since you've never been I'd recommend attending at least once.

Hope to see you in JC.

Peaks
03-27-2005, 18:56
Trail Days gives you one type of experience. The Gathering gives you a different type of experience, and the ATC Conference gives you yet another different experience.

The generation gap definately shows. The average age of conference attendees certainly qualifies for senior citizen discounts. However, for the most part, they are very spy, and are certainly dedicated to the AT. These people are the nuts and bolts who make the AT what it is. For the most part, they are dedicated maintainers and trail builders.

I have been to the last two in New England. Enjoyed them both.

DebW
03-27-2005, 23:01
I'll be attending, and I was at the previous meeting in Waterville Valley. Parts of the program are really geared towards maintainers and club leaders, other parts are suitable to all hikers.

Stuart
03-28-2005, 18:36
Answering my own question about attendance levels... In the current Appalachian Trail News it is stated that expected turnout will be less than 4 percent of the 33,000 members... so that's about 1200 people.

MOWGLI
03-28-2005, 18:48
Answering my own question about attendance levels... In the current Appalachian Trail News it is stated that expected turnout will be less than 4 percent of the 33,000 members... so that's about 1200 people.

That's a good turnout! I'll be there and will be giving a presentation on Satrday July 2. Come on by and say hello if you plan on attending.

Jeffrey Hunter

TJ aka Teej
03-28-2005, 22:31
The new ATN has the entire program. If you're not a member and didn't get the magazine, you can read it online at: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about/pubs/atn/archive/ATN05Mar.pdf

Big Guy
03-28-2005, 22:39
Currently registered. Planning on a number of hikes that week. Hope to meet some other whiteblazers at the meeting. Never been to one, but since I live in Johnson City couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Peaks
03-29-2005, 08:50

If they get 1200 people there then that's more than other recent conferences. I'd guess it will be closer to 900. Still, probably the largest gathering of hikers.

MOWGLI
06-22-2005, 17:07
Hey! The ATC Biennial is less than 2 weeks away! Who is attending? I'll be there for sure on Friday night and all day Saturday.

Scrunchy
06-22-2005, 21:36
I'll be there Friday through Tuesday. Leading an excursion to Cumberland Gap National Park on Saturday, and a hike from Allen Gap to Tanyard Gap on Sunday. Hope to meet some Whiteblazers there and maybe see you on a hike.