PDA

View Full Version : Crunch time.....cameras

conburn
03-13-2012, 15:19
I know very little of cameras. I want a compact point and shoot waterproof camera that takes good pictures. PLEASE HELP ME. I have found 3 cameras that might do the trick, but I was wondering if anyone here has used them or have suggestions for other cameras in this category. Some of them have things that I don't think I would use such as an altimeter and gps....I really just want awesome pictures to remember the good times on the trail with. I'm freaking out because this is my last purchase before I start my hike and it's crunch time. The cameras that I have for comparison are the canon powershot d10, panasonic dmc ts3, and the nikon coolpix aw100. Like I said I'm open to suggestions and I really really would appreciate the help.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005IGVY8I?tag=wac-seo-us-20&link_code=as3&creativeASIN=B005IGVY8I&creative=373489&camp=211189

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-D10-Waterproof-Stabilized/dp/B001SER460/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331665229&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-TS3-Waterproof-Stabilized-2-7-Inch/dp/B004KKZ0KG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

StichBurly
03-13-2012, 15:33
I have the aw100. My aw100 250miles on it. I have never had a problem with it. It is very durable. I have dropped it at least 20 times. Still no problems. The gps feature is cool for setting way points on your pictures.

RWheeler
03-13-2012, 15:41
Avoid the cameras with altimeter/GPS. They'll likely just drain battery faster.

I've personally used an Olympus Stylus Tough camera before. They're fantastic in my opinion, for the price that is. Only waterproof camera I have personal experience with, though.

Try going to a Best Buy or some brick & mortar store that you can actually use some of the cameras hands-on. Take pictures with different pre-settings. Take pictures while moving the camera, etc. See how quick they power up, how quick they respond, etc. In addition to Best Buy, Target and Wal-Mart can have some nice cameras as well. And then there's always camera shops. They'd probably be more willing to let you do other things to test the camera, too (like altered light levels, etc).

If I was going to pick from what you posted, though, it'd be between the Nikon or Panasonic. Nikon makes phenomenal cameras, I've yet to come across one that isn't a fantastic unit. And the Panasonic one just seems to be a really solid piece. The Canon... eh, I've personally had less than ideal experience with Canon cameras.

Maren
03-13-2012, 16:06
+1 on the AW100. Awesome, compact, lightweight camera with all the features you could possibly need. I love mine. As for the GPS draining the battery, just don't leave it on, and you won't have a problem.

MJW155
03-13-2012, 17:31
+1 on the AW100. Awesome, compact, lightweight camera with all the features you could possibly need. I love mine. As for the GPS draining the battery, just don't leave it on, and you won't have a problem.

Yep, have it, love it. Perfect camera for hikers.

swjohnsey
03-13-2012, 17:38
Canon S95 or the newer S100 will beat any other point and shoot hands down. Not waterproof. Will shoot RAW and HD video with stereo sound.

Bear-bait
03-13-2012, 17:49
You may not realize it now, but the power of having RAW images is tremendous. I would highly recommend either the Canon or the Nikon, if they shoot RAW (the Canon discussed above appears to have this feature). A year from now, when you decide you like an image but need to brighten a portion of it and darken another portion of it, you will have far greater capacity to do so, if you shot in RAW.

The only other comment that I would have is that you seem to be focused on waterproof camera's. I would simply get a sil dry bag and go with a cheaper (but comparable in image quality) camera. You are not going to go diving on the AT, just keep it dry with appropriate encasement.

Maren
03-13-2012, 17:50
Canon S95 or the newer S100 will beat any other point and shoot hands down. Not waterproof. Will shoot RAW and HD video with stereo sound.

But the Nkon is waterproof, shockproof, shoots in full HD and with stereo sound. Plus it's thinner, smaller, lighter, has a longer battery life, and is cheaper. When it comes to a point and shoot for hiking ​it makes more sense.

Pages
03-13-2012, 18:47
does the nikon aw100 have a tripod mount?

Maren
03-13-2012, 18:53
It does have a tripod mount.

kidchill
03-13-2012, 19:04
I was heavily into photography but stopped shooting due to school. I have a Nikon D300 and D80 with multiple lenses; however, these are way too heavy for me to bring on the trail. I'm kind of at odds with this though... This will probably be the only time in my life that I'm on this trail attempting a thru-hike...So, does that justify the weight? If you're not familiar with RAW, I would definitely suggest spending a little time researching RAW format and photo-editing. I'm planning on SOBO hiking starting in July so I have some time, but I have started researching point and shoots (I'm much more knowledgeable about DSLRs). Here's a few links to get you started: http://blog.photoshelter.com/2010/07/15-digital-point-and-shoot-cameras-used-by-pros/ http://www.chi-photography.com/best-performance-compacts-top-10-compact-point-and-shoot-cameras-2012/ http://www.squidoo.com/top-5-point-and-shoot-cameras

As far as the waterproofing, I would suggest buying the camera with the greatest picture quality over the camera with the greatest weatherproofing...Also, read up a little bit about using manual settings and general composition. You're gonna be out there, you might as well get the best pics possible. One last thought, check out backpackinglight.com, they have a photography sub-forum and some of the posters do have an understanding of photographic gear and use. How long before you leave? I'll post any info I come across.

Lyle
03-13-2012, 19:10
No experience with any of the cameras you list.

In general, Canon has a much better reputation for their P&S cameras than Nikon has. I love all of my Nikon SLRs, both digital and film, but generally steer away from their P&S, based solely on reviews and other Nikon lover opinions.

I have owned Canon P&S, Fujifilm P&S and Olympus Stylus 600 P&S. I liked them all except the Olympus Stylus 600, couldn't get consistent, in focus shots. Possibly due to it not having a viewfinder. Being able to hold the camera against your head and steady it with a viewfinder as opposed to at arms length without a viewfinder makes a world of difference in the quality of your shots. At least it does for me. All of the Fujifilm cameras I've had have been tremendous, but all with viewfinders.

As others have said, shooting RAW gives you the best potential to improve the photos at home that you get. Doesn't help out-of-focus shots one bit however. You either obtain focus or you don't, no fixing it later.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!!

Lyle
03-13-2012, 19:22
I was heavily into photography but stopped shooting due to school. I have a Nikon D300 and D80 with multiple lenses; however, these are way too heavy for me to bring on the trail. I'm kind of at odds with this though... This will probably be the only time in my life that I'm on this trail attempting a thru-hike...So, does that justify the weight?

My vote is yes. I usually only do longer section hikes and I have gone back to carrying a dSLR, currently either a D40 or D5100 with one or two of Nikon's lightweight plastic lenses: 35mm and either the 18-55 or the 18-105. I also have a D90, but agree it's to large and heavy when other options are out there. I'm much more satisfied with my photos since going back to a SLR. Years ago I carried a FM2n and 35-105 and was never satisfied with the P&S that I tried.

I clip a wedge pack to my shoulder straps to keep the camera readily accessible while hiking.

conburn
03-13-2012, 19:33
I leave mid april kidchill.

kidchill
03-13-2012, 20:57
Okay. I'll probably be done with the rest of my gear selection in the next week or 2 and I'll start researching the cameras more in-depth. I'll post anything I can find. Just remember, the camera does make a difference, but I've seen some amazing shots with crap-tastic gear! So, that's why I say to do some light reading on composition, lighting, settings, etc... It's the difference between a casual snapshot and something you would hang on the wall with pride.

Wise Old Owl
03-13-2012, 20:58
Avoid the cameras with altimeter/GPS. They'll likely just drain battery faster.

I've personally used an Olympus Stylus Tough camera before. They're fantastic in my opinion, for the price that is. Only waterproof camera I have personal experience with, though.

Try going to a Best Buy or some brick & mortar store that you can actually use some of the cameras hands-on. Take pictures with different pre-settings. Take pictures while moving the camera, etc. See how quick they power up, how quick they respond, etc. In addition to Best Buy, Target and Wal-Mart can have some nice cameras as well. And then there's always camera shops. They'd probably be more willing to let you do other things to test the camera, too (like altered light levels, etc).

If I was going to pick from what you posted, though, it'd be between the Nikon or Panasonic. Nikon makes phenomenal cameras, I've yet to come across one that isn't a fantastic unit. And the Panasonic one just seems to be a really solid piece. The Canon... eh, I've personally had less than ideal experience with Canon cameras.

I found that very interesting! thanks

But the Nkon is waterproof, shockproof, shoots in full HD and with stereo sound. Plus it's thinner, smaller, lighter, has a longer battery life, and is cheaper. When it comes to a point and shoot for hiking ​it makes more sense.

Maren wins the golden post award... hands down... Empowered!

kayak karl
03-13-2012, 21:11
i carry the Pentax Optio W90 (http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-W90-Waterproof-Pistachio-Green/dp/B0039237H4) others froze, drowned and broke. 2 years and this one still good. been froze, dropped and underwater.

Kookork
03-13-2012, 21:39
I have the aw100. My aw100 250miles on it. I have never had a problem with it. It is very durable. I have dropped it at least 20 times. Still no problems. The gps feature is cool for setting way points on your pictures.

Welcome to WhiteBlaze. Hope you will have good time here.

You mentioned your Aw100 has 250 Miles on it and you have dropped it at least 20 times??!! You have the best dropping rate I guess. Congratulations on your dropping rate .

swjohnsey
03-13-2012, 22:57
A pint Ziploc is a good solution to the waterproofing problem. A waterproof crappy camera is still a crappy camera.

bflorac
03-13-2012, 23:10
I have the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3. This is a great camera! You can turn off GPS and such to conserve battery. Avoiding a lot of flash photos, you should be able to go weeks on one charge. And yes, it is waterproof. I took photos under water and in the rain. The only thing you have to remember in the rain is to clear the lens of rain drops or things could be a bit fuzzy. I also keep a screen protector on to prevent scratches.

The TS3 is begin replaced by the TS4 (March 28th) so if you can still find the TS3 it should be a good value. There is also a TS10 that is about 1/2 the price and a replacement, TS20, is also due March 28th

Shutterbug
03-13-2012, 23:32
I know very little of cameras. I want a compact point and shoot waterproof camera that takes good pictures. PLEASE HELP ME. I have found 3 cameras that might do the trick, but I was wondering if anyone here has used them or have suggestions for other cameras in this category. Some of them have things that I don't think I would use such as an altimeter and gps....I really just want awesome pictures to remember the good times on the trail with. I'm freaking out because this is my last purchase before I start my hike and it's crunch time. The cameras that I have for comparison are the canon powershot d10, panasonic dmc ts3, and the nikon coolpix aw100. Like I said I'm open to suggestions and I really really would appreciate the help.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005IGVY8I?tag=wac-seo-us-20&link_code=as3&creativeASIN=B005IGVY8I&creative=373489&camp=211189

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-D10-Waterproof-Stabilized/dp/B001SER460/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331665229&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-TS3-Waterproof-Stabilized-2-7-Inch/dp/B004KKZ0KG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Any of the three will take good pictures, but if it were me, I would buy the Nikon for one reason. It has an eye piece rather than a screen for determining what picture you are taking. Outside in the bright sunlight, it is difficult to see what is on the screen. It is particularly difficult if you are trying to zoom in on a bird or animal.

If you were trying to zoom in on a bird like this American Kestrel, you would have trouble with Canon or the Panisonic. You can see exactly what you shoot with the Nikon.

slims
03-14-2012, 00:16
Shutterbug I think you're confusing the lens with a viewfinder. From what I can tell none of those cameras have optical viewfinders.

Out of those three I'd go with the AW100 or the Lumix. I do remember reading that the picture quality on the Powershot D10 isn't the best. The Lumix and AW100 have received good reviews and I don't think you'd be disappointed with either camera.

Maren
03-14-2012, 00:21
The AW100 does not have a viewfinder. It does have a giant screen which is pretty nice.

StichBurly
03-14-2012, 00:31
Welcome to WhiteBlaze. Hope you will have good time here.

You mentioned your Aw100 has 250 Miles on it and you have dropped it at least 20 times??!! You have the best dropping rate I guess. Congratulations on your dropping rate .

Thank you for the welcome. I am very surprised at how durable the camera is. I was hiking the Grand Canyon in January this. My came took an almost 20 foot drop. All it got was a scratch on the side still works perfect. Btw it doesn't shoot in RAW. Still a good camera.

Shutterbug
03-14-2012, 00:52
Shutterbug I think you're confusing the lens with a viewfinder. From what I can tell none of those cameras have optical viewfinders.

Out of those three I'd go with the AW100 or the Lumix. I do remember reading that the picture quality on the Powershot D10 isn't the best. The Lumix and AW100 have received good reviews and I don't think you'd be disappointed with either camera.

My mistake. I just looked at the picture and thought the Nikon had a view finder. In any case, if I were buying a point and shoot, I would get one with a view finder.

MJW155
03-14-2012, 11:26
A pint Ziploc is a good solution to the waterproofing problem. A waterproof crappy camera is still a crappy camera.

The AW100 is not a crappy camera. It's not even close to being a crappy camera.

moongoddess
03-14-2012, 11:33
My mistake. I just looked at the picture and thought the Nikon had a view finder. In any case, if I were buying a point and shoot, I would get one with a view finder.

Unfortunately, there are almost no point and shoot cameras made today that have viewfinders. Canon was a holdout for a while, but even thy have dropped viewfinders from nearly all of their point and shoot models. It's unfortunate, because viewfinders really do help when shooting outdoors in bright sunlight.

swjohnsey
03-14-2012, 12:03
The AW100 is not a crappy camera. It's not even close to being a crappy camera.

O.K., a mediocre camera. Most/all of the "waterproof" cameras, even Canon's, don't take great photos and can't be relied on to be waterproof. G9/G10/G11. . . Canons still have optical viewfinders but are 'xactkt point and shoot.

Maren
03-14-2012, 14:28
Huh. Mine is fantastically waterproof, and while it doesn't take the same quality pics as a dslr or other camera that isn't classified as rugged and intended for, and here's the keyword, amateur photogs who just want to have decent images to show their friends and family, it does take fantastic pics that I highly doubt will cause your mother to say, "oh dear, the noise at that ISO is unacceptable". There's no point in recommending a camera that will be too much camera for the user. I agree that having RAW files is great, but, honestly, most people who "don't know much about cameras" really don't need to be bothered with that. A solid camera with lots of settings that allows the user to take usable images from the start negates the need for a top-of-the-line kit that requires the user to acquire an entire new skill set in order to get anything out of it. The AW100 and similar rugged cameras are ideal for outdoor situations that call for a simple, direct approach to photo taking while offering features such as waterproofing (no need to remove camera from a ziplock when trying to quickly capture a bear disappearing into the brush), able to handle falls (inevitable when dealing with hands full of water bottles and hiking poles), and able to withstand below-freezing temps.

conburn
03-15-2012, 18:26
I am heavily leaning towards the nikon aw100 but the panasonic is still in the mix. I do agree with Maren that I'm in no need for dslr quality pictures and even if I had the camera, I couldn't get the full potential out of it. I have a question though for Maren and the others who have used it though, what is the battery life like? Would you carry another battery for the A.T? I had thought about a New Trent battery pack to charge both my phone and camera multiple times while out in the bush which would eliminate the need to carry wall chargers for both devices (just usb cords) as well as extra charged batteries. Is this a good idea? Thanks to everyone that put their two cents in, I really do appreciate all of the input from all of the angles.

Maren
03-15-2012, 19:04
It's rated for 250 shots per charge. I'd say that's accurate with my experience with GPS turned off. As for the battery pack, the Nikon cannot be charged via USB.

Heald
03-15-2012, 22:31

Both the Canon, and the Panasonic you linked to have CCD sensors. The Nikon you linked to has a CMOS sensor. A CMOS sensor is subject to jelling, or rolling shutter, and many times unless the camera is completely stabile (like on a tripod) even the slightest hand jitter will warp the shot. The CCD sensor uses lines, it basically takes burst images and stings them together. The CCD sensor does not cause jelling to the video. Both these sensors have their advantages of course. One advantage of the CCD sensor is that you can pan around with the camera in hand, and the video is somewhat still enjoyable to view. One advantage of a CMOS sensor that maybe relative to your application is that it uses less power. So there's that...

Maren
03-15-2012, 22:48
Regarding the CMOS sensor, the AW100 has vibration reduction. I had similar concerns about that but my test shots have shown that stability isn't an issue. The VR seems to perform remarkably well.

waywardfool
03-15-2012, 23:11
for the camera nuts....the new Canon G1X is looking good, an "almost" point and shoot with a big, almost APS-C sized sensor... 1.5" vs. 1/2.3" common to many p&s boxes.

Approaching DSLR quality/features.... in "only" 17.4oz ...and 8 big'uns.