PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Deals on Good Stoves?

hikin_jim
03-13-2012, 15:22
So, where can you get a cheap deal on a stove? Well, eBay of course. Some of the stoves on eBay are unbelievably cheap -- pretty much too good to be true. But are you really going to risk trek on a cheap, no-name stove? I wouldn't.

But maybe there's a better way. What if there were a good but relatively unknown brand available, a brand that would afford you some Cheap Deals on Good Stoves (http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2012/03/cheap-deals-on-good-stoves.html)?

Please join me in today's post as we examine just such a brand.

HJ

swjohnsey
03-13-2012, 16:22
Lotsa stoves on eBay are American stoves made by Americans. Tell me about this Korean stove.

hikin_jim
03-13-2012, 20:11
Lotsa stoves on eBay are American stoves made by Americans. Tell me about this Korean stove. There aren't a lot of small gas stoves that I know about that are made in America. MSR is an American brand, but MSR's small gas stoves are made in Korea. The MSR SuperFly, a larger gas stove, is made in the US, but I actually don't know of any small gas stoves that are made in the US.

Of course there are dozens of alcohol stoves made in the US, but if it's a small gas stove, I almost think you have to get an imported one.

HJ

jdg
03-14-2012, 17:15
i am looking as well, anyone else?

Bags4266
03-14-2012, 18:06
You didn't say what type of fuel. If your burning alcohol this guy's stoves are a work of art and very light. Of course people will chime in saying make your own cat stove. But if you want cheap and good quality he has many styles to choose from. http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/super-stove.php

swjohnsey
03-14-2012, 20:58
The Super Venom is a work of art and a conversation starter.

Derek81pci
03-14-2012, 21:05
Get a Pocket Rocket. Done deal. $34-39 retail. Reliable and virtually every resupply has the canisters.

cabbagehead
03-14-2012, 22:06
I sell alcohol stoves ($7 or $8) each (BottleStoves.com)
- rugged
- fuel efficient
- about 30 grams

I didn't design the stoves I make, but the design isn't patented.

hikin_jim
03-15-2012, 01:56
Get a Pocket Rocket. And where is the PocketRocket made? Korea. And who makes it? Kovea.

Thank you for making my point for me. :)

HJ

swjohnsey
03-15-2012, 08:52
When did MSR move their production overseas?

kreate
03-15-2012, 09:18
I'm guessing that the "outdoor" industry is like the bicycle industry (and most others for that matter). Where a couple of companies make most all of the "different" brands, label them and ship them to us. giving the illusion of choice. A good deal of the big name bicycles on the market are made by the company "Maxway" out of Taiwan, some of the best as a matter of fact. I'm assuming that Kovea is a sort of Maxway company. I'd buy from them, I probably already have and didn't know it at the time.

hikin_jim
03-15-2012, 10:15
When did MSR move their production overseas?I'm not sure that MSR has moved their production. It depends on the stove. Most MSR stoves are made in the US.

However, the PocketRocket and MicroRocket are both made in Korea by Kovea. The PocketRocket has always been a Korean product.

HJ

hikin_jim
03-15-2012, 20:33
I'm guessing that the "outdoor" industry is like the bicycle industry (and most others for that matter). Where a couple of companies make most all of the "different" brands, label them and ship them to us. giving the illusion of choice. A good deal of the big name bicycles on the market are made by the company "Maxway" out of Taiwan, some of the best as a matter of fact. I'm assuming that Kovea is a sort of Maxway company. I'd buy from them, I probably already have and didn't know it at the time.
There's a lot of truth to what you're saying. The good stoves generally come from relatively few factories in Korea, Taiwan, and China. There are some stoves made in Japan and Eastern Europe. MSR is something of an exception: MSR makes many of their stoves in the USA.

MSR does not however make it's small gas stoves in the USA; the MicroRocket and the PocketRocket are made in Korea by Kovea.
MSR does make it's large gas stoves, the SuperFly, the Reactor, and the WindPro, in the USA.

HJ