PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Channel fires Bear Grylls...!!

Pathfinder1
03-13-2012, 19:17
I usually don't trek very far,
when all around Bear Grylls are.

Hi...

According to a spokesman for the Discovery Channel, The Hollywood Reporter was told that they have terminated "all current productions" with Grylls, apparently after trying to get him to participate in two projects that he was contracted to do.

So...waddya think of that?

double d
03-13-2012, 19:21
Bring back the Canadian guy and forget Bear Brylls

B-Rabbit
03-13-2012, 19:25
Im sure he'll miss all those hotel stays after the camera shuts off.

conburn
03-13-2012, 20:35
Les Stroud*. he was true blue. hauled every piece of equipment and was completely solo for his trips....understandable why he didn't continue

Wise Old Owl
03-13-2012, 20:55
Damn that was so thirty minutes ago... ya beat me to it.... my smart ass fone notified my brain and you posted first.... great.

Kookork
03-13-2012, 20:55
I like both Les Stroud and Bear Grylls. They depict two different aspects of survival. Les is more about how to survive and Bear is more about how to reach to civilization. Both shows are great. It is sad that there will be no more Man VS Wild. I liked it very much but sometimes Bear's moves were way over the abilitis of a normal person and was too Dramatic.

Slo-go'en
03-13-2012, 21:06
I'm glad I don't have cable...

Juice
03-13-2012, 21:11
Who?

Says Juice, but my post does not contain enough characters.

Wise Old Owl
03-13-2012, 21:26

ya missing out on vios cable sucks.

Lone Wolf
03-13-2012, 21:32

Hi...

According to a spokesman for the Discovery Channel, The Hollywood Reporter was told that they have terminated "all current productions" with Grylls, apparently after trying to get him to participate in two projects that he was contracted to do.

who is he and what did he do?

Rasty
03-13-2012, 21:38

Hi...

who is he and what did he do?

Pretended to survive in the wild. Demonstrated risky techniques that would get you killed.

HiKen2011
03-13-2012, 21:39
Les Stroud*. he was true blue. hauled every piece of equipment and was completely solo for his trips....understandable why he didn't continue

I agree......

JAK
03-13-2012, 21:51
I like Les Stroud, but anyone can eat scorpions when starving out on your own.
It takes a real man to such water out of elephant dung when the camera crew has gatoraid and beer a few yards away.

Kookork
03-13-2012, 21:55
Pretended to survive in the wild. Demonstrated risky techniques that would get you killed.

Yeah,True. I am one of the people who followed one of Bear Grylls risky techniques and was killed.:)

Sent from my Blackberry just before entering the Hell's infamous gate(sorry, no coverage in hell yet).

streetgang
03-13-2012, 21:57
I like Les Stroud too but Bear is a former British SAS operator. He doesn't have to prove anything to me.

Carbo
03-13-2012, 22:28
They should change those survival themes to putting someone in a big city with no money, no phone, etc., and seeing how long it takes to get back to the wilderness.

pdcolelli42
03-13-2012, 22:36
Lulz! You should pitch that idea to discovery. I'd love to watch that show.

Wise Old Owl
03-13-2012, 22:38
on the other hand he taught how to save your own ass.

Rasty
03-13-2012, 22:53

Yeah,True. I am one of the people who followed one of Bear Grylls risky techniques and was killed.:)

Sent from my Blackberry just before entering the Hell's infamous gate(sorry, no coverage in hell yet).

Can you hear me now? Just checking to see if hell has cell service for my upcoming section hike! Gotta check in with the wife when possible.

Kookork
03-13-2012, 23:29
I barely hear you. You might consider a thru hike here. End to End of the hell is less than 50 miles and you better bring a hammock since the ground is too hot..:)..

Rasty
03-13-2012, 23:50
I barely hear you. You might consider a thru hike here. End to End of the hell is less than 50 miles and you better bring a hammock since the ground is too hot..:)..

I thought it was cold. Darn I was going to pick up a -40° sleeping bag.

jersey joe
03-14-2012, 15:33
Bear Grylls had a very entertaining show. I'm sure he has a pretty good following that he will take with him to a new network.

DBCFlash
03-15-2012, 09:09
How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls did grill bears?

coach lou
03-15-2012, 10:17
We don't watch TV, and now I'll never know who this Grylls guy, who people [tv outside people]keep relating to me when they ask me about hiking and camping.....................it's TV folks.

turtle fast
03-15-2012, 11:01
The situations presented to Bear is interesting. I do know that from his show he has already saved some people whom watched the program and applied the techniques. We recently had a hypothermia case with two 10 year old aged boys whom one fell into a frozen lake and the other utilized techniques to rescue the other boy and get him stable for medical attention. Though it is television, sometimes folks are just visual learners and if it gets people out there in the outdoors the better.

coach lou
03-15-2012, 11:23
The situations presented to Bear is interesting. I do know that from his show he has already saved some people whom watched the program and applied the techniques. We recently had a hypothermia case with two 10 year old aged boys whom one fell into a frozen lake and the other utilized techniques to rescue the other boy and get him stable for medical attention. Though it is television, sometimes folks are just visual learners and if it gets people out there in the outdoors the better.
You make a valid point, but I'd like to see those kids learn stuff at a BSA or GSA meeting...........oh wait, that is another multipage HOT thread!!!

lunchbx
03-15-2012, 11:30
I like both Les Stroud and Bear Grylls. They depict two different aspects of survival. Les is more about how to survive and Bear is more about how to reach to civilization. Both shows are great. It is sad that there will be no more Man VS Wild. I liked it very much but sometimes Bear's moves were way over the abilitis of a normal person and was too Dramatic.

I agree completely two different shows with two different points. Bear was more for show and to demonstrate extremely unlikely situations. Les was more reality based but consider the following. Due to regulations imposed by "hollywood", or whatever powers that be in the production of television programs, even Les Stroud was required to have a crew on hand for safety reasons. I can guarantee that support was never more than a few miles away for Les on his "adventures". As far as Bear Grylls is concerned I give him mad respect for having the physical ability that he has. I could only hope to be able to pull myself hand over hand up a rope on a 100' cliff face. I will miss his show if his termination is in fact true.

Nutbrown
03-15-2012, 11:56
He's a hottie. I have a job for him riiiiight here. ;)

Ferrousknight
03-15-2012, 15:20
Les Stroud quit making Survivorman for a reason. First of all, every episode meant at least a week away from his family. 3 seasons of the show is a lot of time. Secondly, unless you get into ridiculous things like Bear did, there are limits to what there is to tell about practical survival. The number of possible settings is limited. The later episodes, you'll notice, involve more testing out of survival products and such than the early ones, in an attempt to not just be repeating himself.

paradoxb3
03-15-2012, 20:40
FYI...

http://lesstroud.ca/news/survivorman-returns

Sarcasm the elf
03-15-2012, 21:38

We don't watch TV, and now I'll never know who this Grylls guy, who people [tv outside people]keep relating to me when they ask me about hiking and camping.....................it's TV folks.

You mean like this :D

http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-man-constantly-mentioning-he-doesnt-own-a-tel,429/

Don't worry, I'm one of those non-television types too, and I can't stop myself from mentioning it whenever I get the chance. Wait, did I just do it again? Drat!

coach lou
03-15-2012, 22:31
Right around the time Star Trek was ending, 'The American Sportsman' had William Shatner hunting Kodiak Bear, with a bow and arrow!!!! He was hacking his way thru scrub, and in the shadows there it was...twang.... more shadowy movement..... Taa Daa....Capt Kirk with a big ole bar! I'd like to see one of these young bucks take on the Lizard Captain, with nothin' but a I-phone!

dornstar
03-16-2012, 01:32
Man vs Wild > no Man vs Wild

Personally, I'll take any outdoor show I can find, so losing another really blows.

Half Note
03-18-2012, 20:39
Can't say I've ever seen a show of his but this is the only thing I have seen...it was enough for me to continue to not watch it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is)

Miami Joe
03-19-2012, 01:17
Does this mean my Bear Grylls knife is going to be a collector's item?

turtle fast
03-19-2012, 12:55
With Les Stroud coming back and Bear on the outs right now, does that mean in another year or two Bear comes back and Les takes a breather? Hop scotch survivalist hosts.