PDA

View Full Version : Smartwool Socks?

SylvanHiker
03-13-2012, 21:02
Based on the reviews I've read Smartwool socks seem to be the way to go, but which ones does the Whiteblaze community recommend? I'm planning on making a through hike and I'll most likely be wearing trail running shoes (not hiking boots). How thick should the socks be? Is it better to get lower socks (because of the heat higher socks produce) or higher socks (for better protection)?

ChinMusic
03-13-2012, 21:53
I wear Smartwool socks all year long, work or of the trail. PHD Outdoor Light Mini (previously Adrenaline).

cabbagehead
03-13-2012, 22:25
I recommend Darn Tough wool socks (about 30% polyester). The thread is tightly wound, and the fabric is dense and tightly woven. I love how they feel. They usually cost between $15 and $30 a pair. They are guaranteed forever, and the company honors the guarantee. If you get a hole in your socks, just bring them to an outfitter that sells them, and you will get a new pair free.

ljcsov
03-13-2012, 22:41
I have both a pair of Darn Tough socks and Smartwool

Darn Tough socks tend to be thinner and a little bit more "rugged" than the Smartwools. I don't find them as soft yet they seem to be just as comfortable. They also don't seem to show any wear. However, they do accumulate sweat and won't dry until you take your shoes off. If you search around Marshall's Stores you can find them for about 10 bucks with some sort of "irregularity". I don't know what the irregularity was in mine, but a hole appeared in the heel after first use. I have a sewing machine and stitched it. No problems since!

As for Smartwool, I have their normal line of hiking socks, though I hear the PHD's are pretty nice. You can get various types of cushioning from light to heavy. I went with the medium and the length that goes just above the ankles. They are super soft and stay dry no matter what even when I still have them in the shoe. The downside, they seem to get really frizzy with lots of wool fibers popping out all over. I don't really find it an issue though.

Hope this helps...

Wise Old Owl
03-13-2012, 23:13
Your kidding? your feet can tell the difference? Nope!

WallyWorld >>>> Hunters's Wollies... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hunter-s-Specialties-Tek-4-Scent-A-Way-Heavy-Weight-Crew-Socks-Medium/16439983

Papa D
03-14-2012, 00:06
I wear Smartwool socks all year long, work or of the trail. PHD Outdoor Light Mini (previously Adrenaline).

me too! purchase DARK colors - - when they are wet and need drying in the sun on a rock, the dark colors will absorb more heat and dry faster.

SylvanHiker
03-14-2012, 00:22
Thanks for all the tips! Dark colors do seem like a good idea. Anyone care to weigh in on the long vs. short?

SCRUB HIKER
03-14-2012, 02:36
I like long socks as a defense against bugs. I keep em scrunched down when I'm hiking to let the most skin breathe, and pull them up to mid-calf the minute I stop moving. That's just one consideration, though; I don't think short vs. long socks really matters too much in the long run.

ljcsov
03-14-2012, 12:07
Your kidding? your feet can tell the difference? Nope!

WallyWorld >>>> Hunters's Wollies... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hunter-s-Specialties-Tek-4-Scent-A-Way-Heavy-Weight-Crew-Socks-Medium/16439983

Not after my feet get used to them. I have a pair of cheap Timberland ones that I got at a discount store. They can itch like a mother when you first put them on but they are as good as any wool socks once you get going.

dla
03-14-2012, 16:44
Costco Kirkland brand Merlino wool blend socks are the best value I've found.