PDA

View Full Version : Nemo Air Supported Tents

Stuart
03-27-2005, 10:58
Anyone used, or even seen, a NEMO tent? No poles.... you inflate the thing!

Interesting idea.

The 1 person BURRITO weighs 3.75 pounds. It is singled walled, using Epic and SilNylon... Here is the NEMO spiel:

Burrito is the ultimate replacement to the damp, claustrophobic bivy sack. It’s big enough to fit your gear inside and still be able to stretch your legs, read a book, and enjoy a comfortable night’s sleep. The double doors allow you to get in and out easily and sit up to get dressed. Mesh doors, unique split outer door vents, and front and rear strutted vents provide excellent ventilation. Durable, scratch-resistant windows let you keep an eye on what’s happening outside, no matter the weather.

The 2-3 person SAKO weighs in at 6.25 pounds, but includes 3 big mesh doors, looks like a full featured Cadillac-type tent.

From their website:

Sako is designed for the weight conscious backpacker who isn’t ready to sacrifice comfort. It’s a streamlined design, with enough space inside for gear, and plenty of headroom. Ventilation is top priority with Sako. Three doors with mesh and six vents insure excellent air circulation whether it’s a clear starry night, or pouring rain.

I have not seen these tents, but thought the idea was at least novel. Too heavy for me, but may be the ticket for someone.

Here is a link to NEMO's air support technology (http://www.nemoequipment.com/products_tech_inflatable.asp)

hikerjohnd
03-27-2005, 11:10
Neat concept - I think if they can lighten the overall weight, they may have solved the broken/bent tent pole problem. I'd consider buying a lighter one...

The Solemates
03-28-2005, 10:20
that is the oddest concept ive ever seen.

tlbj6142
03-28-2005, 12:09
I agree it seems like a great idea. But it could be lighter.

mumblez
03-28-2005, 12:46
The Hypno looks especially interesting at only 3.25 lbs. Although I be afraid of puncturing the tent, seems like a cool innovation.

http://www.nemoequipment.com/products_tents_hypno.asp

grrickar
03-29-2005, 15:17
Huh? Air tubes instead of poles? How would air tubes offer support in moderate to high winds? Some tents with poles don't even fare well in winds. I'm thinking one of these on Max Patch on any given night would be a nusiance.

Nick
04-04-2005, 10:35
I've done some gear testing for these guys and let me tell you, they are thinking ahead. Why has no one has ever done this before? well, I think if you saw the tents they are making you would understand. They are some of the most well-designed tents I have ever used and I can't wait for them to be available commerically (they are saying May, 1st).

Another guy I knew who was testing these tents had "Sako" out in the desert in Red Rocks, Nevada. He reported a storm with 80 mph wind and said he hardly knew how bad it was until he poked his head outside the tent... everyone elses stuff was flying all over the place, but he had it staked out good and couldn't believe how well it stood its ground.

Brock
04-04-2005, 11:12
How easy is setup and take down?

One advantage of the poles is that you don't have to puff air into the chambers (either using your lungs or a pump [heavy]) which seems like it could be tiring and time consuming. Another advantage (think about those air mattresses) is that you don't have to squeeze all the air out to roll up the tent. I have bad memories of trying to squeeze all the air out of the matteresses during some car camping.

Interesting idea, and I hate to bash it before I try it, but it seems kinda sketchy IMO.

Stuart
04-06-2005, 09:19
How easy is setup and take down?

One advantage of the poles is that you don't have to puff air into the chambers (either using your lungs or a pump [heavy]) which seems like it could be tiring and time consuming. Another advantage (think about those air mattresses) is that you don't have to squeeze all the air out to roll up the tent. I have bad memories of trying to squeeze all the air out of the matteresses during some car camping.

Interesting idea, and I hate to bash it before I try it, but it seems kinda sketchy IMO.

Brock,

I believe the tents are inflated with a small pump rather than by mouth.