PDA

View Full Version : Hampton,tn

Toolumpy
03-14-2012, 07:04
IYO which way is the best way to reach Hampton for resupply? The short 1.0 mile trail before town or use 321? I think that is the road number.

Tennessee Viking
03-14-2012, 08:45
If you stop at Kincora or Black Bear hostels at Dennis Cove Road, you can shuttle into town to resupply. From what I heard about Black Bear, they may have a small hiker store set up.

But to walk into Hampton, take the blue blaze out of the gorge instead of climbing Pond. You will come out to US321 on the very edge of Hampton. Take a left. You will walk pass the Post Office, Brown's Grocery, Dollar General and there will be a couple gas stations/McDonalds/Pizza Plus/Subway over at 19E. There were a couple restaurants but not sure of their status now.

The AT crossing of US321 spits you out at Watauga Lake about 2 more miles further out of town with no resupply points.

Kerosene
03-14-2012, 08:54
What TV said. Note that "climbing Pond" means "climbing Pond Flats", which isn't flat by a long stretch, is pretty rocky in places, and there wasn't any water when I went through a few Octobers ago.

Serial 07
03-14-2012, 12:05
take the short 1 mile trail...it's real pretty and so much easier than climbing up pond flats and then trying to get a hitch...i've had to walk that 3 miles or whatever into town before...take the short trail, you will not miss anything skipping pond flats...

Montana AT05
03-14-2012, 16:34
I agree with the others, if you need to resupply (or just want a cold drink, ice cream, whatever) and you didn't do a shuttle during a stay at Kincora, then take the 1 mile blue blaze to town. It meanders near a nice stream and is a pleasant walk.

If you want to connect all your steps via a trail, just hike it back and go up and over Pond Flats. It's only a few extra miles and you avoid a road walk.

Or, once in Hampton, you either hitch up the road or walk it..but beware, the road doesn't always have a good berm and the traffic can be heavy--large trucks included.

I've done all three options, as well as one other, when I walked up the road Kincora is on that runs directly into Hampton. It was harder than following the trail to the blue blaze because the road is a steep winding paved one. Luckily it isn't often used so traffic wasn't too bad.

Mando12
03-15-2012, 20:58
What TV said. Note that "climbing Pond" means "climbing Pond Flats", which isn't flat by a long stretch, is pretty rocky in places, and there wasn't any water when I went through a few Octobers ago.

I hiked it today and there is a small spring on Pond flats. I was up there in January and it was flowing then too.

Tennessee Viking
03-15-2012, 23:20
If you did the Gorge approach, how were the new relos?

Mando12
03-16-2012, 10:40
The gorge approach is improved IMHO. More switchbacks. There are still a couple of pretty steep part climbs, like the one right before Pond Flats, but overall, I like it.
There have also been some relocations between Hughes Gap and Roan High Knob. Again, more switchbacks. Mo better.