PDA

View Full Version : GA bear canisters

Edwardo Rodriguez
03-14-2012, 16:14
I just read that the USFS is requiring bear canister in a section in GA is there any other place or section along the AT that I need to have a bear canister.

jeffmeh
03-14-2012, 16:24
No, and the section in Georgia is only 5 miles, with the canister required only if camping, so it is easily avoided.

paradoxb3
03-14-2012, 16:44
if you dont intend to stay at the walasi-yi hostel, camp before blood mountain, and the next day do a long stretch over blood, stop in, buy stuff, and feed your face til it hurts at mountain crossings :D, and just make a day of hiking on thru the canister area.

a few years ago i stayed at blood mountain shelter and the problem bear entered camp and tore down a couple bear lines, ate our food, and left quite a mess to pick up in the morning. when i thru hiked in 2010 i did what i suggested above and didnt have any problems. i stayed in woods hole shelter, then hiked to whitley gap shelter the next day (which sucked because its 1.2 miles off the trail). basically, adjust your schedule as to NOT overnight on or near blood mountain.

additionally, the first bear i saw on my thru hike was in SNP, VA!

jdg
03-14-2012, 17:22
how many did you see total? i am nervous about my first encounter

Edwardo Rodriguez
03-14-2012, 17:43
Great, thanks Jeff. Was worry about have to take a bear can with me along the AT or using one for certain sections along the AT

miloandotis
03-14-2012, 21:01
how many did you see total? i am nervous about my first encounter

Mind you I have not thru hiked, and all our time on the AT has been in Shenandoah and the Smokies. Two years ago in only two weeks we saw 23...yes 23...bears and cubs. NONE of them were during our time on the AT...they were all on the spur trails we took the kids on for waterfall destination hikes...all areas where lots of people go and leave lots of trash. Don't think that is a coincidence.

cascader
04-09-2012, 18:23
why can't they just have bear boxes at the affected shelters? that seems to work in the northeast. asking hikers to carry bear cannisters for just 5 miles of the trail seems a little odd.

seadawg
04-24-2012, 15:46
I did a 10 day hike Mar27 - Apr. 5..... Springer to Dick's Creek. I carried one of those heavy bulky pieces of **** bear cannisters ($58) because I wanted to stay atop Blood and see the sunrise and sunset. Most of the thrus stayed at Lance creek campground (which I did also ....because it was raining and thus ruined the sunrises and sunsets on top of Blood). It's only a 7 mile hike from Lance creek across Blood then down to Neel's Gap. The restricted area starts at Jarrad Gap so you'd have to have a canister to stay at Wood's Hole or Blood. My suggestion is to stay at Lance Creek ....good campsite with easily accessible water.... then hike thru to Neel's gap.