PDA

View Full Version : Resupply after the Smokies?

squirrely
03-14-2012, 17:07
I was curious what most of you did for resupply after the Smokies? It seems like there's not really anything in between Fontana and Hot Springs unless you want to go to Gaitlinburg (which I don't). I was talking with this guy I work with who's hiked bits and pieces of the trail and he couldn't think of anywhere good to resupply there either? Granted his last hike of the trail in that area was 20 years or so ago.

Anyway, any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks!

cowpoke
03-14-2012, 17:14
You can resupply at Standing Bear hostel....Curtis will take good care of you....enough food to get you to HS's...about 3 miles north of the Park.

pdcolelli42
03-14-2012, 17:21
2nd standing bear hostel, I plan to mail drop there most likely. Also 2nd curtis, he might like to make it out like he doesn't like hikers but I know he does! He was very entertaining on the shuttle to newfound last year. He liked to poke fun at one particular hiker when he wasn't around and we got a laugh out of it.

Wuff
03-14-2012, 17:48
Was really sorry I missed Standing Bear Hostel.

I decided at the last minute to experience Gaitlinburg. It was horrifying, but probably worth the experience.

SCRUB HIKER
03-14-2012, 18:48
I highly recommend a stop in Gatlinburg, if anything just to give some reinforcement to your decision to be in the woods for 6 months. I think Standing Bear is the only option between Newfound Gap and Hot Springs. The resupply there isn't huge, but it'll cover everything you need for 30 miles or whatever it is to Hot Springs. A cold soda and some otter pops feel great if it's a hot day there too.

Heald
03-14-2012, 19:20
It's fairly obvious that Standing Bear Farm is probably where you want to go. You know there is a guidebook? I mean for the AT. There's actually more than one, maybe even more than two, I'm not sure. You might like the guidebook. It's easy to read, and tells you about all kinds of stuff. It will even tell you where the water is, and one guidebook even told me how many calories I would need to burn to break all the cobwebs I'd go through on a hike from maine to georgia. Amazing.

Bati
03-14-2012, 22:10
Standing Bear is a good option, but you can make it to Hot Springs if you need to. That used to be the only real option other than a very chancy hitch (and a very chancy return hitch).
It's a heavy load of food, for sure, but not any worse than the 100-mile wilderness was.

squirrely
03-14-2012, 22:47
It's fairly obvious that Standing Bear Farm is probably where you want to go. You know there is a guidebook? I mean for the AT. There's actually more than one, maybe even more than two, I'm not sure. You might like the guidebook. It's easy to read, and tells you about all kinds of stuff. It will even tell you where the water is, and one guidebook even told me how many calories I would need to burn to break all the cobwebs I'd go through on a hike from maine to georgia. Amazing.

Yea, I have a copy of the 2011 data book, but it was kind of vague. Just listed a road. I'm not really sure where this road leads, but apparently there are groceries on it. I will definitely look into Standing Bear farm when it gets closer to time!

Do you happen to remember what the book with the calories was? That sounds like some very good information to have.

Thanks, you guys are awesome!

turtle fast
03-15-2012, 01:44
You can go to Cherokee, or Gatlinburg...but better yet is hike on to Standing Bear Farm like many have said. Cherokee is kinda neat and because they do not get throngs of hikers and they treat them pretty well.

Blissful
03-15-2012, 14:36
I did a small drop at SBF, but you could buy to get you thru.

Kerosene
03-15-2012, 16:44
If you really want more options than Standing Bear Hostel can supply, then I'm sure that you could convince Curtis to shuttle a handful of hikers to a local grocery store for resupply. Certainly this would be a lot easier than spending a day+ getting down to Gatlinburg.

Of course, a group of hikers could also arrange for The Hike Inn to meet you at Newfound Gap with re-supply boxes. Expensive, but it was worth it to me as a section hiker with limited time and old knees that didn't want to carry 5+ days of food through the Park.

bigcranky
03-15-2012, 18:09
Yea, I have a copy of the 2011 data book, but it was kind of vague. Just listed a road.

The Databook is not the same as the guidebooks. It just has mileage and very little detail. The guidebooks have much more detail on what is available in each town, road crossing, etc. -- much more useful information. Oh, and they have the mileage, too. I would not want to do a long hike without one.

squirrely
03-15-2012, 20:51
I will certainly be getting one next year before we leave so I have one that's up to date. I'm assuming they re-do these yearly like the data book...

bigcranky
03-15-2012, 21:59
I'm assuming they re-do these yearly like the data book...

Yes, good assumption. I have used all the guides, and I really like The AT Guide (http://www.theatguide.com/).

squirrely
03-16-2012, 20:21
Judging from the website that looks like a pretty good book! I'll be checking it out for sure.

Thanks!

QiWiz
03-16-2012, 20:53
You can resupply at Standing Bear hostel....Curtis will take good care of you....enough food to get you to HS's...about 3 miles north of the Park.

+1; you can also send a mail drop there

error
03-27-2012, 07:48
I did resupply in Gatlinburg. It's fine as long as you know where you're going in advance, and avoid the expensive tourist traps...and the tourists. I skipped the tourist trap Happy Hiker and went farther into town to Smoky Mtn. Outfitters which was much cheaper, and then farther up the same road to Food City. All of these, including post office and 24 hour laundromat, are on the blue line trolley. The only touristy thing I did there was Corky's AYCE BBQ ribs. Because let's face it, protein is good! Then I spent two nights at Standing Bear :)

turtle fast
03-27-2012, 11:39
The Appalachian Trail Thru hikers Companion is filled with all the relevant things you need in more detail than the Data Book like road crossings, shelters, maps of trail towns, hiker services for an area, resupply, etc. Listing directions like for Standing Bear Farm "After walking under I40, continue North on the A.T. 1.0 mile beyond the stone stairs to the first gravel road (Green Corner Rd.), turn left, walk 200 yards to a white farmhouse." Could not get clearer than that...lists hiker services, says has pizza and sandwiches, etc. That is why I like the Companion by the ALDHA, Appalachian Long Distance Hikers Association any profits from my purchase for them is a good thing.