PDA

View Full Version : Coyote Rob Attempting Calendar Triple Crown

royalusa
03-14-2012, 18:57
Looks like per his website (http://www.triplecrownhike.org/) he's attempting to do the triple crown between March 9th and Thanksgiving or the end of the year - first the PCT (Nobo), then the CDT (Nobo) and then the AT (Sobo).

Malto
03-14-2012, 20:26
Here we go again. From his FAQ on his blog:

How much backpacking experience do you have?
Only two trips, both less than a week. One in the Ansel Adams Wilderness, the other in the Sawtooth range. Plenty of bike touring experience though, and they're remarkably similar.

Why is it that folks can't do something simple like a thru hike. It also kills me that there is such a lack of planning. The logic behind doing the PCT first is:
"PCT, then CDT, then AT. I figured the Continental Divide Trail should be done in the Summer months since it's at the highest elevation. Decided to do the Appalachian Trail last for the Fall colors. Pacific Crest Trail won the coveted first spot by default.PCT, then CDT, then AT. I figured the Continental Divide Trail should be done in the Summer months since it's at the highest elevation. Decided to do the Appalachian Trail last for the Fall colors. Pacific Crest Trail won the coveted first spot by default."

He want to finish the PCT in June meaning he will be hitting the Sierra in April. With no resupplies open in April this plan seems suspect. I would have done the AT first at a warmup speed, then hit the PCT in May and the CDT in August SB.

His goal is to do 30 mile days. His first two days he did an average of 24/day. I would have expected a stronger start given his "background of endurance events."

fiddlehead
03-14-2012, 20:46
Interesting.
Another attempt with no experience.
Well, I wish him luck.
Looks like a low snow year so far for the west but I worry that springs will be dry later on on all the trails because of this fact.

About_Time
03-14-2012, 20:49
Per the website: "To date, only a handful of people have completed all three in their lifetime, only two have completed all three in a calendar year, and only one has thru-hiked them all in a single year."

Any one know the story of the hiker who actually pulled this off?

Malto
03-14-2012, 20:52
Flyin' Brian Robinson and Squeaky Mat Hazley

Rasty
03-14-2012, 21:13
Didn't the other start in January?

Maren
03-14-2012, 21:20
As usual the gear list is...interesting: http://www.triplecrownhike.org/gear.html

Leanthree
03-14-2012, 21:26
I wish him the best even if I would need pretty good odds to bet he completes all 3 in the year. Considering how mild this winter has been, he seems to have weather on his side.

Malto
03-14-2012, 21:42
I wish him the best even if I would need pretty good odds to bet he completes all 3 in the year. Considering how mild this winter has been, he seems to have weather on his side.

Not going through the Sierra in mid April. I have snowshoed the high Sierra in April and it doesn't matter what the snow is, it will be miles and miles of snow that will make 2011 on regular timing seem like a cake walk.

P1nkPanther
03-14-2012, 21:44
His FAQ says his going to SOBO the AT. But his mail drops say his ETA in Damascus is 9/18 and then Hanover, NH on 11/6. I am geographically challenged, but that doesn't sound quite right...

fiddlehead
03-14-2012, 21:46
His FAQ says his going to SOBO the AT. But his mail drops say his ETA in Damascus is 9/18 and then Hanover, NH on 11/6. I am geographically challenged, but that doesn't sound quite right...

He'll have to SOBO the AT to be successful IMO.
He'll figure that out by then. (if he hasn't already)

ChinMusic
03-14-2012, 22:22
Something tells me he has not heard of Squeaky.

Sly
03-14-2012, 23:46
Looking at his map he's seemed to make progress. http://www.triplecrownhike.org/progress.html However, at this rate he'll be into the the High Sierra early April. With so little experience, I don't think it's going to happen.

Slo-go'en
03-14-2012, 23:59
"Woke up after it was light, but before it was warm. Hiked only half a mile before I found a campground, complete with running water, picnic tables, and trash cans. Woulda been nice to know. Oh well, I got good sleep anyway."

Apparenty not using a guide book either. Seems like a nice guy, not arrogant like some of them. He might have a better chance if he did his research better. Hope he's a fast learner. It will be fun to see how far he gets. Wish him well.

Sly
03-15-2012, 00:24
"Woke up after it was light, but before it was warm. Hiked only half a mile before I found a campground, complete with running water, picnic tables, and trash cans. Woulda been nice to know. Oh well, I got good sleep anyway."

Apparenty not using a guide book either. Seems like a nice guy, not arrogant like some of them. He might have a better chance if he did his research better. Hope he's a fast learner. It will be fun to see how far he gets. Wish him well.

Judging by what his map looks like I camped in a similar spot about 1/2 mile before what's probably the same campground. I'd do it again too as the campground wasn't anything special (actually closed because of rare frog mating or something) and the area before it pretty nice. However, you're right, I knew it was there, had the book, and had been through there before.

Maren
03-15-2012, 00:49
I don't get the whole biking = hiking thing. My husband bikes, I hike. I can't just jump on a bike and do 90 miles in a day; my husband wouldn't jump into a similar hiking/backpacking situation. Very different beasts.

Iceaxe
03-15-2012, 01:19
I wish him well.
One thing i just noticed checking his resupply mail drops is that he lists Crater Lake Post office. The PO is 4 miles down the highway. If he sends the package to Mazama village store instead he can save himself a hitch. That address is: Your name c/o Crater Lake General Store Mazama Village Crater Lake, OR 97604
Actually i found the store had plenty of stuff to resupply from despite having sent myself a package there.
Like GG Man said the Sierra is going to be incredibly challenging in April. Even now we are getting many feet of fresh snow up in the Sierra. Might have been slow in coming this year but Spring time is unpredictable.
Early April means nothing will be open for resupply up there. Muir Trail Ranch, Vermillion Valley Resort, Reds Meadow, and Tuolumne Meadows will be closed.
I suppose he could go out over Kearsarge and resupply at Independence the same as many thru hiker do later in the season. Just not sure if they close Onion valley road or if there is much traffic there in April.
If he can get someone to pack in a resupply at Tuolumne that would be clutch.
He has a lot of guts. I hope he makes it.

Half Note
03-15-2012, 22:57
Hope he doesn't plan on hiking in those blue jeans he's wearing in some of those pictures...best of luck to him though.

Malto
03-18-2012, 20:52
At the end of day 9 he writes that is at the Underpass of I-15 where he hitched a ride to REI in Rancho Cucamongo, Day 10 he spends with his grandpa waiting out a storm.. This has to be Cajon Pass, mile 342 since that is the only place that I-15 crosses the PCT.

But here's the problem. He spent night 3 at mile 79, at a B&B near Sissors Crossing. That had him averaging 28mpd for the first three days. Day 4 he broke mile 100, then it sounds like he camped day 5 near Herrera's, mile 127. He got lost and torn up on Day 6, likely in Nance Canyon. He ended Day 6 in Idyllwild, which he could have only hitched to from RT 74 at Mile 152.

So now the bizarre part, he rapidly increased his daily mileage getting to Cajon in three days, a total of 190 miles. That means that he averaged 63mpd. That is really moving. But going at that speed he is missing a lot. His journal only says:

"Nothing in particular sticks out about those days, though I'd say the terrain is getting better. More trees, more water, less rocks inhabiting the trail. In their stead, actual dirt! The hills have gotten a little bigger, but I don't mind."

No mention of Whitewater or Mission Creeks, San Jacinto, Fuller Ridge, the caged animals, deep creek hot springs, Big Bear etc. He should slow down and see some of the scenery. But there were a lot of pictures of his war wounds.

stranger
03-19-2012, 07:29
Um...Nobody averages 63 miles a day, a few people can pull a 63 on a good day, but the reason he did 190 miles in 3 days is because some yellow-blazing is involved. Andrew Skurka has never come close to averaging 63 miles per day on anything he's done, either has Justin Lichter, but this guy has?

It's not bizarre....I think someone is sticking out their thumb : )

Jeff
03-19-2012, 08:24
Read somewhere that the trail along the Deep Creek area north of Big Bear was heavily damaged. He might have "skipped" that section.

nufsaid
03-19-2012, 09:50
Read somewhere that the trail along the Deep Creek area north of Big Bear was heavily damaged. He might have "skipped" that section.

It sounds like Coyote Rob may have something in common with Rosie Ruiz.

fenderbenderfc
03-20-2012, 00:45
Based on his lack of simple backpacking concepts and 60 mile days, this seems like BS.

leaftye
03-20-2012, 01:23
So now the bizarre part, he rapidly increased his daily mileage getting to Cajon in three days, a total of 190 miles. That means that he averaged 63mpd. That is really moving. But going at that speed he is missing a lot. His journal only says:

"Nothing in particular sticks out about those days, though I'd say the terrain is getting better. More trees, more water, less rocks inhabiting the trail. In their stead, actual dirt! The hills have gotten a little bigger, but I don't mind."

No mention of Whitewater or Mission Creeks, San Jacinto, Fuller Ridge, the caged animals, deep creek hot springs, Big Bear etc. He should slow down and see some of the scenery. But there were a lot of pictures of his war wounds.

That's because he skipped around the taller parts of Mount San Jacinto. I hiked from Snow Creek up to Fuller Ridge a few days ago before the storm and the only prints were from animals until the last 1/4 mile. The trail was very soft and fluffy, so prints would have shown up well. Even the snow in the lower region lacked prints, and there weren't many prints in any area. Fwiw, there were drifts a couple feet deep with surprisingly soft snow.

Even though he skipped miles, it's probably best that his skip allowed him to get past Baden Powell because southern California mountains just got walloped with several days of snow.

Mikey Appleseed
03-24-2012, 12:32
Id rather be hated for who I am, than be loved for somebody im not-Unknown Author-Portola,CA Bar Wall Letter. Im just gonna throw out some numbers,about 25% of average thru-hikes are successful, divide that by 3, -at least half of whats left do to pct timing and lack of REAL prep. Add 1%, because he must be crazy to think, other hikers cant do math. Ill give him a 5.15% or so chance of actual completion and the honor of the Triple Crown(I use honor loosely in this case). Think the ALHDA crowd gives him a standing O(after the interigation!)? Its tough to watch.

The Solemates
03-26-2012, 10:11
from day 12 -

"...the next time the trail crossed Highway 2 (which parallels/criss-crosses the trail), I decided to hike on it instead."

leaftye
03-26-2012, 14:00
from day 12 -

"...the next time the trail crossed Highway 2 (which parallels/criss-crosses the trail), I decided to hike on it instead."

From earlier in the day:

Today saw me in the highest elevation and heaviest snowpack thus far. At around 8,000 feet, a couple things started getting dodgy.

That seems to confirm that he started his skip from at least Fobes Saddle (mile 166), but more likely started the skip at Hwy 74 (mile 151) or Anza a few miles earlier. The skip lasted to at least Hwy 18 (mile 266), but more likely got back on the trail at Silverwood Lake (mile 324).

So he's skipped nearly half the trail already, and was lost on part of the remainder. If he's having this much trouble already, and due to the timing, I bet he skips most of the Sierras too.

fredmugs
03-29-2012, 07:53
Who knew there was someone more full of crap than nature boy. I wonder where he'll be pulled from his tent and beaten???

leaftye
03-29-2012, 19:13
I wonder where he'll be pulled from his tent and beaten???

At this rate, and considering the trail conditions ahead of him, he'll be on the AT in a couple weeks.

fiddlehead
03-29-2012, 21:21
I'm following his blog and see that almost all of his problems (OK, all of them) have to do with inexperience.
Hiking through cactus seems new to him, frozen gloves in the morning, wire fences, cooking beans, turning around and wasting a day or two just to get new gloves!
He is not prepared enough either gear-wise or mentally for a triple crown one year hike IMO.
Worried about his cell phone battery, trying to cook dry beans, etc.

He should've spent a few hundred hours on whiteblaze. Or, better yet, should've done some hiking.

Malto
03-29-2012, 21:42
Ok, this is now foolish.......

I hiked the PCT last year at the speed that Mr Coyote is attempting so I have a real good feel for the tempo that he should be doing. But his skipping has now hit a new low. Day 15 had up in Aqua Dulce at the end of the day. Yet Day 16 had him hiking along the CA aquaduct which took me almost two days to hit from AD and the first day out of AD I did 38...... so, how would a hiker that was "ethically conflicted" about road walking the frog detour now end up doing a 60 mile day. Either he has the worst memory in writing his journal or he is flat out lying. You decide.

Maren
03-29-2012, 22:41
Folks, in his gear pics I spotted a shower pouf. 'Nuff said.

StichBurly
03-29-2012, 23:15
He now only plans on doing the PCT and the AT this year. This is per his website. http://crhiking.org/

leaftye
03-29-2012, 23:25
He said he's too early for the Sierras. He wouldn't be nearly as early if he hadn't skipped so much. I certainly advise him to go back and do those sections right now because if they were difficult before tougher, they're even tougher now that the last two weekends have brought much more snow to those areas.

That said, he said he plans on going south. I haven't hiked up there yet, but I bet that's completely covered in snow too.

fiddlehead
03-30-2012, 03:29
I hope he knows how to use an ice ax.
The northern PCT in April/May can be treacherous with steep traverses.
Maybe even more so than the Sierras.

If he's smart enough to practice with one along the way, he may be OK.
I wonder how he'll find the trail when it's snow covered up there.

Again, I wish he had some experience before setting off on such an extreme adventure.
Thinking that is going to be easier in WA than it is in southern CA is a little naieve.
At least he'll have some road crossings in WA.
Not many in the Sierras this time of year.

Malto
03-30-2012, 06:50
If I were in his trail runners I would go hike the AT then do the PCT SB. The northern PCT is much more rugged than the Sierra with snow. Some of hairiest snow crossing on the trip last year were up in Or and WA.

nitewalker
03-30-2012, 07:10
shoulda started on the AT this year with the temps being so warm all winter.

nufsaid
03-30-2012, 07:39
. 'Nuff said.

What?

swammie
03-30-2012, 14:15
He's updated his status from triple to double:

CDT: cancelled
PCT: rescheduled 2012 from NOBO to SOBO, currently ZEROing in the Bay Area
AT: still planned for 2012

Feral Bill
03-30-2012, 15:26
He's updated his status from triple to double:

CDT: cancelled
PCT: rescheduled 2012 from NOBO to SOBO, currently ZEROing in the Bay Area
AT: still planned for 2012

Snowpack is still building in the Northwest. It will be a while before he can even try to start southbound. Maybe late June?

Malto
03-30-2012, 15:42
Can't start in late June SoBo doing 20 miles per day and get to AT in time. At 20/day, it would take a bit over 4 months getting him on the AT Nov 1st. I don't think there is a good SoBo PCT plan that allows an AT hike without doing serious miles per day which he seems to have lost enthusiasm for.

Slo-go'en
03-30-2012, 16:16
Looks like another dream shatterd by reality, a lack of experiance, proper planning and training. Why do people set themselfs up for failure like this all the time?

fiddlehead
03-30-2012, 23:33
Anyone think he'll give the money back?
I have my doubts on him finishing even one of the 3 trails at this point.
I'm sure he's doing some serious soul searching at this point.

double d
03-31-2012, 07:37
Looks like another dream shatterd by reality, a lack of experiance, proper planning and training. Why do people set themselfs up for failure like this all the time?
thats a good point, maybe people live their lives this way until they learn (wisdom?) that life works out better and happier with a little planning (such as using guidebooks).

SCRUB HIKER
03-31-2012, 08:53
"Experience is the best teacher, but a fool will learn from no other." - Benjamin Franklin. I first read that quote in Walking With Spring.

garlic08
03-31-2012, 10:19
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Half Note
04-02-2012, 18:11
I don't understand why someone would start a calendar year triple crown 3 months into the year.

leaftye
04-02-2012, 21:04
I don't understand why someone would start a calendar year triple crown 3 months into the year.

Southern California would have been easier to hike if he had started on January 1st, at least for a while.

As others have noted, he has no idea what he's doing. He lacks the very high level of knowledge, skills, experience, physical fitness and luck it takes to do something like this. Scratch the last one because there's been good luck in that this has been an okay year to try something like this, but he didn't take advantage of it.

Malto
04-04-2012, 07:59
Yesterday evening I picked Mr Coyote up at the ATL airport and delivered him to Springer for the start of the AT. It was interesting to hear the back story of his little adventure. He had a few things going in his favor, physically he is in decent shape and he has done some very long cycling trips that proves that he could handle the day to day hours of walking. But he lacked even the 101 knowledge of the trails he was hiking so he was basically done before he started. It would have been interesting to see how he did if he would have started on the AT first rather than the PCT. This appears to be the perfect Triple Crown year with low snow in the East and West.

I think Mr. Coyote learned a lot from his PCT adventure. He seems to have a great attitude and I wish him well on his trip.

Half Note
04-04-2012, 08:50
Did he say that we was going to hike what he skipped on the PCT (start all over) or pick up where he got off?

BobTheBuilder
04-04-2012, 09:49
I believe Squeaky started in May and finished his triple crown on Springer on December 30th or 31st. This guy is not Squeaky, but then none of us are.

Malto
04-04-2012, 11:28
Did he say that we was going to hike what he skipped on the PCT (start all over) or pick up where he got off?

His intent is to hike the skipped miles. But there is a lot of between before then that will likely change a plan.

Slo-go'en
04-04-2012, 13:08
At least he was smart enough to skip over to the AT, otherwise he would be done. Hopefully, he'll get a little farther on this trail.

Odd Man Out
04-04-2012, 16:04
Yesterday evening I picked Mr Coyote up at the ATL airport and delivered him to Springer for the start of the AT...I think Mr. Coyote learned a lot from his PCT adventure. He seems to have a great attitude and I wish him well on his trip.

From his Blog; "Gonna be nice to ditch the bear can for a few thousand miles. Considering ditching the tent too, what with the shelters on the trail. And I hear Appalachia is nice this time of year."

Also wishing him the best, and hopes that the shelters are not full.

Malto
04-04-2012, 16:37
From his Blog; "Gonna be nice to ditch the bear can for a few thousand miles. Considering ditching the tent too, what with the shelters on the trail. And I hear Appalachia is nice this time of year."

Also wishing him the best, and hopes that the shelters are not full.

He did a quick google search and discovered the folly of not bringing a shelter. He brought one.

swammie
04-08-2012, 18:54
Balls and Sunshine's trailjournal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=372346) mentioned Coyote on April 7, 2012. Did anyone think Coyote had hiked 700 miles of the PCT this year?

"Later, we even ran into a hiker that wanted to talk with us. His name is Coyote. He hiked the first 700 miles to KM on the PCT already this year so he is conditioned and fast. Sunshine can still keep up with any hiker as long they have interesting stories. She's pretty chatty as last years PCT hikers can atest to. So we walked with him a couple hours till we arrived in camp, but he continued on as he is up to 25 mile days already."

Dogwood
04-08-2012, 21:21
I'm getting too old, maybe a bit wiser, for this. I have better things to do- LIKE HIKE MYSELF! I will wisely stand on the sidelines with-holding harsh judgements and hard analysis. To jump into the fray with my own comments about this proposed endeavor is akin to making comments about someone who publicly proposes to be the starting quarterback in the Super Bowl when they have yet to be the starting quarterback on a High School or College Football team. Nothing but the best though to whoever attempts the Triple Crown in a calendar year. For myself, it was hard enough achieving the Triple Crown over 6 years.

HiKen2011
04-08-2012, 23:01
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Profound Garlic......so true!!!

swammie
04-09-2012, 15:57
It will be nice to see this bunch of hikers progress on the trail this year. And to read about them meeting/interacting on the trail is so cool!

tenn_hiker
04-12-2012, 16:10
I recently ran into Coyote Rob on the AT this past week. He blew by us going up a steep climb, we saw him the next day at the lodge in Fontana, and he stayed at the Fontana Hilton with us that same night. We talked to him for a while, he's a pretty cool guy. on 04/11/12 (yesterday) he was heading into the GSMNP. Just thought I'd give a little update on his location. He said he planned to finish the A.T. at the beginning of July i believe.

Slo-go'en
04-19-2012, 11:39
I wonder what happend to Coyote Rob? Last blog entry was 4/11 and last GPS location was 4/13 at Standing Bear. Hopefully he's just too busy doing big miles to check in or is still having phone problems.

Malto
05-03-2012, 07:37
Looks like Coyote Rob is finished....... His blog no longer exists. It is a shame that folks have to plan such epic world class adventures instead of just doing a simple little thru hike.

Slo-go'en
05-03-2012, 11:41
Looks like Coyote Rob is finished....... His blog no longer exists. It is a shame that folks have to plan such epic world class adventures instead of just doing a simple little thru hike.

He changed the url to http://www.crhiking.org The original "triplecrown.org" was re-directed to this one, maybe that re-direct isn't working anymore. I guess he figured since he wasn't going for a triple crown anymore he needed to change the name of the blog. He is now planning on hiking just the AT and the PCT this year. His last entry was on 4/26.

I got a kick out his complaining about all the rocks in the trail and how someone should move them all. He ain't seen real rocks yet! Wait untill he gets to New England and finds not only the rocks, but the tangles of roots and slicker than baby poop bog bridges...

Rasty
05-03-2012, 12:54
Aren't there just more rocks under those rocks. At least until you get to the molten rock part which is also uncomfortable walking on. If someone moved all the rocks would you have to climb over the rock wall?

He changed the url to http://www.crhiking.org The original "triplecrown.org" was re-directed to this one, maybe that re-direct isn't working anymore. I guess he figured since he wasn't going for a triple crown anymore he needed to change the name of the blog. He is now planning on hiking just the AT and the PCT this year. His last entry was on 4/26.

I got a kick out his complaining about all the rocks in the trail and how someone should move them all. He ain't seen real rocks yet! Wait untill he gets to New England and finds not only the rocks, but the tangles of roots and slicker than baby poop bog bridges...

BabySue
05-16-2012, 22:03
Coyote Rob has bowed out. See crhiking.org. It seems he's leaving the trail with some new knowledge about himself, a high level of respect for the AT & PCT, some honorable goals, & without having lost his love of the outdoors & even backpacking.

Coyote Rob
03-28-2013, 18:00
Coyote Rob here. Had no idea this many people were keeping tabs on my little adventure ‘till now. A year later, here’s my side of the story.

Yep, I was pretty inexperienced. Had only been on two true backpacking trips, both only about 3-4 days. I really did think that bike touring would translate well, not because of the muscles used, but because it’s similar in terms of preparation. As it turns out, in some ways yes, others no. And for what it’s worth, I did read about a half-dozen books about thru-hiking before setting out. As far as physical shape, well, I was (and still am) in pretty good shape.

It’s always been my nature to take challenges on, and generally in a big way. I ran my first marathon six months after I took up running, and I did it in a better-than-average time without walking. In fact, that was my first footrace, without bothering to do a 10K or half-marathon. Less than a year later, in my second marathon, I qualified for Boston. My introduction to long-distance biking was a 70-day, 4,500-mile ride (http://www.texas4000.org/) from Austin, TX to Anchorage, AK. When I signed up, I didn’t own a bike, and I only got one to train on two months before departure, yet logged over 1,300 training miles in that time, while taking a full course load as a physics major. And wouldn't ya know it, I wound up being one of the stronger riders on the team. My first triathlon was a half-ironman, and I did better than average, despite having about the worst bike there. So my first venture into thru-hiking, I was gonna go big there too. Why the hell not?

You know one thing that was kinda weird? On the PCT, people looked at my pack and said “Not bad....you might be carrying a little too much though. I’d try to go with a smaller pack.” On the AT, the reaction was “45-liter pack?!? 20 pounds?!? You’ll never make it!” When I asked why they carried a 40-pound, 75-liter pack, the argument was “I need it for comfort.” What on Earth is comfortable about a 40-pound pack? And I might add that from my experience, the PCT requires more gear than the AT. Cultural difference, I guess.

Oh, and the lufa? Scrunched down, it takes up barely any space, it only weighs about an ounce, and just getting it wet in a stream and scrubbing a little makes a big difference. Laugh all you want, but it’s a very “affordable” luxury item. Works well to scrub out bowls and pots too, if you carry ‘em (I didn’t). I’d rather carry a one-ounce lufa to get the same effect as another set of clothing.

A few people have wondered why I started the PCT so early, in March. Others wondered why I waited so late to try and finish all three in a calendar year. So....what would you do instead, earlier or later? I guess I coulda snowshoed the PCT in the winter or something, but I obviously wasn’t any good in the snow. I think the answer is that my timing wasn’t necessarily that bad, but my ability and level of expertise simply wasn’t enough this time.

A lot was made about me skipping a part of the PCT, in the San Gabriels, during a snowstorm. Yep, I was being dishonest. And if you read every one of my blog entries (which are no longer up), you got to see me fess up later. From the start, I had every intention to come back and hike those miles later on, perhaps after I’d finished all the trails, I could go back to visit my family in the area and knock out those last ~150 miles in a week or so. I guess I was ashamed that I skipped it, because I had the notion that hopping around and piecing together the trail bit-by-bit wasn’t a “true” thru-hike. And honestly, I had no idea anyone but my friends and family were reading the blog. But I should’ve been more honest in the first place.

The reasons I left the PCT were bad timing, lack of preparation, and improper gear. Switching to the AT was easily the most logical choice at that point. The reasons I left the AT, and ended the journey altogether, were a combination of financial, vocational, and mental. I was actually doing great on the AT, no equipment problems, and was averaging about 33 miles/day in my last week. I know I could’ve finished, and was on pace to knock it out in three months. But there were other things I needed to do. Like start working on my grad school debt, rather than adding to it.

When I got back to Texas, I almost immediately did a shorter, different adventure (http://texasbbqposse.blogspot.com/2013/03/bikes-blues-and-barbecues-father-and.html) that I think was even more meaningful and rewarding. And as soon as that was over, I started my job hunt, which included applying for my dream job at Google. Three months later, I got it and moved out to California (Google has a famously long hiring process). My team had a flurry of hires in the summer and fall, and I was about in the middle of it. No hires have been made since November. Had I waited until I’d completed both of the trails, or even just one, I probably would’ve missed my spot.

I still want to give both the PCT and AT another shot. I learned an awful lot, and quickly, from the experience I had. And I’d be willing to wager that I got more miles under my belt (over 1,000) in two months than a lot of people do in a lifetime. As far as the CDT, I dunno. Less maintained, less access to water, high altitude, and scenery-wise, I’ll put California’s mountains up against the Rockies any day of the week. But as much as I wish I’d finished what I’d started, it’s hard to regret it entirely, since it led to other great things. So I’m glad I made the choices I did. And the trails are still on my list. It’s not like they won’t still be there later.

Oh, and never go to Idaho. Ever. It’s just like Colorado, only the scenery isn’t as good, it’s filled with a metric crap-tonne of tourists with a bunch of noisy kids, and everything’s way overpriced. Unlike Colorado, it feels more like a Disney resort than being alone in the wilderness. You won’t see any wildlife. There isn’t even any good fishing. And the weather, it’s cold and rainy all summer long. If you have to go, try and go in winter, when the weather’s perfect. Yeah. Don’t go to Idaho. I’m not just saying that so it can be my little secret.

If you’re curious how I stumbled across this thread after all this time, it’s because I’ve started another blog (http://coyoterob.blogspot.com/) about a whole new series of smaller challenges, and I just Googled “Coyote Rob” to see if my blog was one of the top results. Imagine my surprise to find myself a small center of attention! In any case, my love of the outdoors is unflinching (I even asked for a new backpack for Christmas), and the same goes for being active and challenging myself. And like hell I’m ashamed that I tried something hard, even foolishly. That’s farther than a lot of people get.

Coyote Rob
03-28-2013, 18:04
Sorry for the bold font up there. I dunno how that happened (first post here), and I can't figure out how to edit it.

RedBeerd
03-28-2013, 18:44
Right on dude.

leaftye
03-28-2013, 18:47
Thanks for posting here. It says a lot about your character. It's hard to face up to failed expectations on a personal level, and must be much harder to do so on a public level. Feeling some shame or disappointment is understandable, but you did something amazing that you should be proud of. It's a big accomplishment even if it isn't the one you initially hoped for. Maybe you went in with a big dose of hubris, but you've learned from that, so whatever shame you might feel isn't for the person you are now.

As you read, I was one of the people that said you weren't in shape for a venture of this magnitude. Maybe I was the only one. I don't remember what I meant. Usually I mean that it takes a very long time to get the joints and feet in great hiking shape. Muscles and heart respond to exercise very quickly, so I don't see those as a limitation except very early in a hike. Joints and feet tend to break down over the course of an uninterrupted hike.

I also discounted your preparation. It's really good to see that you read a few books, but as you learned, they miss a lot of details about what a thru hike really entails. You can learn much of that at home if you spend a lot of time reading journals and communicating with other thru hikers online.

Congratulations on getting a job with Google. That is another great accomplishment.

If you ever try this again, I recommend two things. Give yourself a lot of time to prepare. Talk to some triple crown hikers one-on-one. I'm sure most of them would talk your ear off, and you'll learn so much that you could regret not recording the conversation.

While I may have given you a hard time earlier in this thread, I'd look forward to meeting you on the trail. It'd be great if you stick around this forum too.

Kookork
03-28-2013, 18:54
Hi Coyote Rob.

Hope we see you here frequently. There is nothing wrong with being ambitious. You are now practically an experienced hiker. If someone tell you that he/she wants to do a calendar year Triple Crown with limited hiking experience like when you started your hike what would be the chance you give this fellow?

Now you have had enough time to reevaluate the experience and I am happy that AT or PCT did not make you dislike hiking. Ambition is not a bad thing , how we feed it makes the difference.
Welcome to WhiteBlaze:welcome

Malto
03-28-2013, 20:40
Mr Rob,
I gave you the ride from ATL up to Springer. Great meeting you. There is another thread on here that reminds me an awful lot of your story. Hopefully that hiker reads this and sees the parallel. Congrats on the job. You will have to get out and hike some more of the PCT. good luck in the future!

Feral Bill
03-29-2013, 00:01
Deleted post. My mistake.

FB

fiddlehead
03-29-2013, 00:45
Nice to hear your side of the story.
Except the Idaho part.
What's up with that?
One of my favorite states. Best whitewater state in the lower 48 if you are into paddling some great class 4 and 5 water.
Anyway, good luck with google. Can you help me with some SEO? LOL

Coyote Rob
03-29-2013, 02:17
Except the Idaho part.
What's up with that?
One of my favorite states.
I think someone needs to turn their sarcasm meter on.

leaftye
03-29-2013, 02:33
The sarcasm was there, but missed. Unfortunately I couldn't fully appreciate it since I've never been there.

Dr. Professor
03-29-2013, 02:47
I think someone needs to turn their sarcasm meter on.

Welcome to WhiteBlaze Rob, but you still have a lot to learn. You should never let someone off that easily for missing your sarcasm. Run with it; see how far you can take it.

Seriously, thanks for your post. It certainly offers a lot of perspective.

Dogwood
03-29-2013, 04:31
And so the big wheel in the sky keeps on turning. At least he came back and told us what he learned and fessed up about assuming some things he possibly shouldn't have. Should be a mandatory read for ALL those with GRAND ideas and for EVERYONE ELSE TOO. THX Coyote Rob for the character you display. This can really be helpful for everyone to be more successful. In that you have wildly succeeded.

I too disagree almost entirely in your assessment of Idaho. Go back to ID and thru the Centennial trail/route, in record time of course. But I used to think there wasn't anything to do in Utah either. Wow, was I wrong about UT.

DEFINITELY, I've been saying it for years, every long distance backpacker AND CYCLIST should carry a luffa. I've even partnered up with QiWiz here on WB in a joint venture. He's selling his UL Ti cathole trowels and I'm selling my UL all purpose hypoallergenic backpacking luffa.:D

10-K
03-29-2013, 06:14
At least he came back and told us what he learned and fessed up about assuming some things he possibly shouldn't have. Should be a mandatory read for ALL those with GRAND ideas and for EVERYONE ELSE TOO. THX Coyote Rob for the character you display. This can really be helpful for everyone to be more successful. In that you have wildly succeeded.

Right on... it's the coming back part and sharing what happened that earns respect.

Bluster without character isn't very impressive.

WingedMonkey
03-29-2013, 09:43
I know I could’ve finished

No you don't
Is that sarcasm?

:sun

Rasty
03-29-2013, 11:27
The sarcasm was there, but missed. Unfortunately I couldn't fully appreciate it since I've never been there.

The two day hikes in Idaho both sucked really bad for me. Don't bother with Idaho!

Coyote Rob
03-29-2013, 13:35
Goodness, even after the "sarcasm meter" comment, a few people missed it.

For clarification - I love Idaho. It's everything Colorado claims to be, and then some. With less people, lower prices, better fishing, more wildlife, and they're even a lot less in love with themselves. And the weather is perfect all summer long. I haven't been in any other season, so someone else would have to fill you in on that.

Malto - obviously, I remember you. Thanks again for the lift!

I gotta admit, I was a little mortified at some of the earlier comments, especially after people started figuring out that I skipped some miles on the PCT. Goodness, some of y'all can be vicious! But it was nice to see that once people actually met me in person, they generally thought I was a good guy. And to basically everyone that's responded to my post so far, thanks for the kind words. Glad to see we can all be friends here.

Mags
03-29-2013, 13:53
For clarification - I love Idaho. It's everything Colorado claims to be, and then some. With less people, lower prices, better fishing, more wildlife, and they're even a lot less in love with themselves. And the weather is perfect all summer long. I haven't been in any other season, so someone else would have to fill you in on that.

Mrs Mags and I plan on leaving CO for the reasons you said above. I love the mountains here...just getting too crowded.

MT or ID is actually two places we are checking out this summer. The move? In 3-4 yrs.

Dogwood
03-29-2013, 18:32
I love Idaho. It's everything Colorado claims to be, and then some. With less people, lower prices, better fishing, more wildlife, and they're even a lot less in love with themselves. And the weather is perfect all summer long.

No no no. SHHHHHH! If you want it to stay that way, you got to keep telling everyone that asks about Idaho, "it sucks, don't go there, nothing there."

I learned this from some Vermont LT section hikers. In exchange for some of their gourmet chocolate they made me promise to say, "Vermont sucks, you don't want to go there", to anyone that asked, "how's Vermont?" I will keep my promise. Oh, Maine, Hawaii, Montana, Utah and Alaska suck too, don't go to any of those places either. Nothing there to see, lots of mosquitos, prices are ridiculously high, natives are jerks, it's crowded, the weather is always terrible, and there are no Starbucks.

Slo-go'en
03-29-2013, 20:46
I learned this from some Vermont LT section hikers. In exchange for some of their gourmet chocolate they made me promise to say, "Vermont sucks, you don't want to go there", to anyone that asked, "how's Vermont?" I will keep my promise.

Yeap, between the black flies, the mud, the steep climbs and slippery rocks, you all best go someplace else.

Mountain Mike
03-29-2013, 23:03
Yeap, between the black flies, the mud, the steep climbs and slippery rocks, you all best go someplace else.
Same goes for NH & Maine! PCT...You don't want to go there. Nothing but misery.

Marta
03-29-2013, 23:28
Don't come to Montana! It's awful!

garlic08
03-30-2013, 10:43
...You know one thing that was kinda weird? On the PCT, people looked at my pack and said “Not bad....you might be carrying a little too much though. I’d try to go with a smaller pack.” On the AT, the reaction was “45-liter pack?!? 20 pounds?!? You’ll never make it!” When I asked why they carried a 40-pound, 75-liter pack, the argument was “I need it for comfort.” What on Earth is comfortable about a 40-pound pack? And I might add that from my experience, the PCT requires more gear than the AT. Cultural difference, I guess....

The PCT was my first long hike, the AT was my last, and this was my experience, nearly exactly. There's definitely a cultural difference and it shows on this forum. Good observation.

Colter
04-01-2013, 09:20
I gotta admit, I was a little mortified at some of the earlier comments, especially after people started figuring out that I skipped some miles on the PCT.

They had to figure out you skipped big miles because you didn't admit it until caught.

The comments should come as no surprise.

jeffmeh
04-01-2013, 19:55
The PCT was my first long hike, the AT was my last, and this was my experience, nearly exactly. There's definitely a cultural difference and it shows on this forum. Good observation.

Do you think some of it is just the basic east coast confrontational vs west coast non-confrontational thing (e.g., fuggedaboutit vs. tubular)? Gross generalization alert.

Coyote Rob
05-03-2013, 00:21
Do you think some of it is just the basic east coast confrontational vs west coast non-confrontational thing (e.g., fuggedaboutit vs. tubular)? Gross generalization alert.
I think it might be because people on the PCT were from California and other western states, where there are actually outdoors things to do, and people have been hiking, camping, and backpacking before. Seemed like most people on the AT were from the northeast or midwest, not exactly outdoors meccas, and probably couldn't imagine life without hair dryers and lattes.

Yes, that's exaggerating, but I think there's some truth to it.

Dogwood
05-03-2013, 01:24
I think it might be because people on the PCT were from California and other western states, where there are actually outdoors things to do, and people have been hiking, camping, and backpacking before. Seemed like most people on the AT were from the northeast or midwest, not exactly outdoors meccas, and probably couldn't imagine life without hair dryers and lattes.

Ahh, hogwash. I've grown weary of these types of old outdated generalizations about the east coast, northeast, and mid west. There were actually more than twenty west coast, midwest and foreign AT thru-hikers in 2006 when I thrued the AT who thought when we got to NJ and NY that we would be hiking through people's back yards in urban areas. Talk about misconceptions. I've traveled throughout the U.S. having spent time in 47 states hiking and hitch hiking. This idea that wilderness and great hiking doesn't exist on the east coast and the mid west because civilization is always in your face is hogwash.

The Old Chief
05-03-2013, 15:26
Ahh, hogwash. I've grown weary of these types of old outdated generalizations about the east coast, northeast, and mid west. There were actually more than twenty west coast, midwest and foreign AT thru-hikers in 2006 when I thrued the AT who thought when we got to NJ and NY that we would be hiking through people's back yards in urban areas. Talk about misconceptions. I've traveled throughout the U.S. having spent time in 47 states hiking and hitch hiking. This idea that wilderness and great hiking doesn't exist on the east coast and the mid west because civilization is always in your face is hogwash.

Couldn't agree with you more, Dogwood.

Colter
05-03-2013, 20:02
I think it might be because people on the PCT were from California and other western states, where there are actually outdoors things to do, and people have been hiking, camping, and backpacking before. Seemed like most people on the AT were from the northeast or midwest, not exactly outdoors meccas, and probably couldn't imagine life without hair dryers and lattes...

Am I allowed to call someone a buffoon here? If so, I'd like to use that word at this time.

Thank you.

WingedMonkey
05-03-2013, 20:20
Am I allowed to call someone a buffoon here? If so, I'd like to use that word at this time.

Thank you.

10-K says I can only do that if I do this:
:p

jeffmeh
05-03-2013, 20:31

You apparently know very little about the Northeast. I'm 20 miles north of Boston as the crow flies, and I have hiking trails, suitable for x-country skiing in winter, within 1/4 mile of my house. If I want to get in my car and drive for ten minutes, I have numerous options where I can do 10 or 20 mile loops without retracing my steps. Less than 2 hours to the Berkshires, 2 hours to the Whites. Plenty of lakes and rivers, and the ocean is within 30 minutes drive. One need not get too far out of the city to find plenty of open space, and that is true for all of New England, New York, etc.

atmilkman
05-03-2013, 20:33
Same goes for NH & Maine! PCT...You don't want to go there. Nothing but misery.

Same goes for the Pinhoti. You don't want to go there. Suckiest trail you ever been on. If you want to be miserable just try it.