PDA

View Full Version : First time hiker

starr_child
03-14-2012, 23:12
I will be taking 4 weeks to hike as much of the trail as i can starting from VA. I've bought most of my gear (to the tune of $997 at the sporting goods store and another $205 online at REI). I still need hiking boots and was hoping I could get a option on the hiking shoes I should buy. I went to sports Authority and found some COLUMBIA Women's Dillon Ridge Hiking Boots (http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12238355&cp=3077570.3079721.2867030&fbc=1&f=Brand%2F951%2F&fbn=Brand%7CColumbia&lmdn=Brand&parentPage=family) (here's the link to look at them: http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12238355&cp=3077570.3079721.2867030&fbc=1&f=Brand%2F951%2F&fbn=Brand|Columbia&lmdn=Brand&parentPage=family) I realize even though I am only doing 4 weeks I will still need some decent shoes. So if someone could let me know what they think of those shoes or have other suggestion. I also had a question about food. I bought 2 weeks worth of Mountain House Foods (I have 14 meals for dinner). Hauling it home and looking in the bag it looks like I'll be carrying a lot of food. Do I really need that much food? The guy at the store wanted me to buy 3 weeks worth of food, Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time..

Kelli

Maren
03-14-2012, 23:22
If you're not already conditioned to hiking boots you might look into trail shoes such as: http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/search/Google/Merrell%20Glove?s_kwcid=TC|13029|merrell%20trail%2 0shoes||S|e|11509061045&cm_mmc=ps_google_OW-_-Category%20-%20Footwear-_-Footwear_Brand_Merrell_Minamalist-_-merrell%20trail%20shoes&gclid=CPDYudn3564CFYuK4AodoEftjA or trail runners like Brooks, Inov-8, Saucony, etc. The boots you're looking at might not be the best choice when you consider break-in time and that boots aren't really necessary.
As for food, there's really no reason to carry that much food at one time. If you check the articles on the home page there's an excellent resupply article that lists resupply points. You'll be much happier carrying 3-4 days (or as needed) food and buying what you need along the way. The Thru-Hikers' Companion or Awol's AT guide also have detailed resupply info. That food weight adds up fast!
There are many great articles and threads that could point you in the right direction, but I'm going to take a note from Spokes and suggest you check out this gear list: http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

trucker2015
03-14-2012, 23:48
How long before you start your hike? Don't want so start with new boots.

if your not use to boots Maren is right I would go with trail shoes.

OK guess I should have read it all before butting in She really said it all.

Creek Dancer
03-15-2012, 08:46
+1 to what Maren said. In addition to trail runners, you might want to look at trail shoes, like Keen Voyageur. I just bought some of these and so far I don't see any break in time. In fact, they feel pretty amazing so far. Trail shoes are kind of in between trail runners and boots.

No need to carry two weeks worth of food. Good grief, your pack would weigh a ton. You can resupply along the way or possibly mail yourself food. And 14 days of Mountain House dinners may give you some wicked....ummm...stomach issues. Just sayin'.

Have an amazing journey!

Nutbrown
03-15-2012, 09:40
The Va section is not too rugged. +3 on don't buy new boots. Use a pair of runners that you already have. Your feet will thank you. Trick is to keep your pack weight down so your poor feet aren't pounding as much. Are you using poles? I have found that poles are better for ankle support than boots. I'd spend the $ on poles instead of new boots.
Mt House is ok, but the salt will drive you crazy after a while, at least it did me. They take up a lot of room though. You can take them out of their original packaging and use sandwhich bags. Keep one Mt house pack, rinse it out, and use it over again. That will save a lot of room. Are you going to have someone mail you the food? Think about taking 1/2 of it back and just do the resupply on the trail.
Have a GREAT hike!

Rocket Jones
03-15-2012, 11:03
Definitely check out the articles listed along the sidebar on the main page. You'll find tons of great information there.

I'd suggest practicing with all your gear at home before heading out, including cooking with your stove and eating two or three of your Mountain House dinners. Set up your tent, set it up again when it's almost dark, and in the rain if you can. Spend a few nights sleeping in your bag outside (tent, porch, whatever) and make sure you can stay warm.

Get to know your equipment and get comfortable with it. The time to gain that experience is before you're out there on the trail. It won't guarantee success, and not doing it won't guarantee failure, but you're doing this for fun and it makes sense to prepare as much as you can so you can not worry so much about details.

When you have real results with your practice, then come on back and search for related threads. If you can't find the answers you need, ask questions and you'll hear lots of suggestions and opinions. The trick is to figure out what works best for you.

Have fun. Hike your own hike. It's not about the miles, it's about what you experience along the way.

lunchbx
03-15-2012, 11:44
Another advocate of not bringing new boots to the trail. I would suggest not using boots at all but running shoes/"trail runners" instead. I can almost garuntee that you will not regret using lightweight sneakers instead of boots. I would say you have about a %90 chance of regretting the decision to take boots especially if they are brand new. Also its too late now but it seems like you spent way too much on your gear altogether, but that is a common mistake when first starting out. I know that I bought a lot of stuff that I later regretted because I found that it just wasn't the right type of gear, or just a piece of gear that is totally useless. Your whole setup shouldn't cost more than $700 from head to toe, but that is just my opinion.

Feral Bill
03-15-2012, 12:34
If you want to post a gear list, people stand ready to pick it apart like pirranahs on a cow. Your choice.

NLaeger
03-15-2012, 13:39
+1 To Creek Dancer and the Keen Voyagers!!! I love love love mine, both on and off the trial... and break in time on them is very minimal. I wear mine for work as well, and I work at a job where I am sometimes on my feet anywhere from 5-12 hrs a day and these shoes are great....I replace them once a year and seriously just put them on and head out the door to do whatever and have never had a problem!

Best of luck with your Journey :)

starr_child
03-15-2012, 16:26
Well I wanted to leave soon, but I'm not sure not. That's another good question. I was told you really don't want to hike in the summer because it's too hot. I was thinking maybe Sept, but how cold is it then? I bought a Marmot women's -15 degree sleeping bag. Is Marmot a good brand? Will that be enough to keep me warm at night in Sept? I also bought 2 pairs of "cold to very cold" thermals. Thank you so much for all your input. It is a very big help.

Kelli

Spokes
03-15-2012, 16:49
Yes, take a look at the gear list Maren mentioned. It's a tried and true cold weather list that yields a 16-18 lb base weight pack. Tweak it for summer and go lighter. Only thing to add is a trash compactor bag as a pack liner. Gloves and fleece beanie are assumed. Maybe you have time to do a couple overnighters to get comfortable with your equipment?

Lots of people always seem to rate Keen boots high but picking the right footwear for you can be tricky. If you have access to a descent outfitter go there and try on several pairs. A good outfitter will always have an incline board for you to test the shoe/boots fit. Basically, you don't want cramped toes on the downhill or excess heel lift on the ascents. So much more to it.......

Cheers!

starr_child
03-15-2012, 17:27
hahaha Ok where do I begin. I think I bought out Sportsman Warehouse. Here goes:

Camelbak 100 oz antidote reservoir
Hiker Pro micro Filter Pro edition
Jet Boil Flash personal cooking system
Jet Boil stabilizer kit
Marmot women's -15 degree sleeping bag (Is Marmot a good brand to buy?)
Kelty Women's Red Cloud 80 Internal Frame Backpack (which I paid $179 at the store, then found it on Amazon for $35 cheaper w/free shipping, so it's going bck)
50 ft of rope
small shovel
hiking poles
Large brimmed hat
insect repellant
Waterproof matches (28)
Snake kit
Blister kit
moleskim
Tenton camp pillow
Lifeline 85 piece first aid kitCounter assault bear pepper spray
Dri Ducks Ultra lite jacket pants set
Cold pruf thermals top/bottoms X2
Infinity plastic plate/bowl/cup
Campware utensil set
Tikinna head lamp
Camp towel
4 pairs of fox river outdoor performance hiking socks
Camp soap

I think that's everything so far.. I still need to get the trail staples, oatmeal, GORP etc.

Please let me know what I need to return. Thank you again for your help.

swjohnsey
03-15-2012, 17:41
You have everthing including the orange poopie trowel! The sleeping bag is at least 30 degree and three pounds too heavy. Might consider swapping for a lighter bag. Maybe you can get a refund on the first aid, bear spray. Most folks carry a couple of Gatorade bottles for water, lighter and cheaper. You don't need a shovel or trowel. You need some light cord like mason's twine to hang your food.

Maren
03-15-2012, 19:10
You can also toss the snake bite kit, you don't need a plate, bowl and cup (most eat from their cooking pot), only need a spoon or spork, don't need bear spray or that monster first aid kit, swap rope for spectra cord, and ditch 2 pairs of socks.

starr_child
03-15-2012, 21:37
The sleeping bag only weights 3.5 lbs. The rest of the stuff I can understand. When I looked at shoes the guy said I really didn't need the bear spray. I'll be glad to return it. It was $58. What about the Jet Boil Flash personal cooking system? All I'll be doing is boiling water. That thing was $99.95 and another $14.95 for the stabilizer. I'll be going this weekend to do all my return, so more help would be greatly appreciated.

Kelli

Sarcasm the elf
03-15-2012, 22:02
The sleeping bag only weights 3.5 lbs. The rest of the stuff I can understand. When I looked at shoes the guy said I really didn't need the bear spray. I'll be glad to return it. It was $58. What about the Jet Boil Flash personal cooking system? All I'll be doing is boiling water. That thing was $99.95 and another $14.95 for the stabilizer. I'll be going this weekend to do all my return, so more help would be greatly appreciated.

Kelli

Jetboils are very convenient since they're designed to primarily boil water and can do so faster and with less work than any other stove I've used, but there are lighter/ cheaper options, it comes down to personal preference. If you do keep it, you can ditch the other plates and bowls, most people just eat directly from the pot.

+1 on ditching the bear spray, no need for it in the East coast. Drop the snake bite kit (useless) and the trowel (they get nasty quick), bring more moleskin and ibuprofen that you think you will need. I agree that you will likely find that your bag is warmer that you want, but only you can be the judge of that. Also consider adding a bit of duct tape and a small bic lighter, they both come in handy. If you're looking to save some money, think about swapping your filter and replacing it with aqua-Mira, again that's a matter of personal preference. Plenty of other things in the list that you might end up tweaking, but you're off to a good start so go have fun and see how you like everything.

Maren
03-15-2012, 22:07
Here's a great stove kit that has everything you need if you're considering dropping the jetboil: http://www.antigravitygear.com/antigravitygear-mama-s-kitchen-3-cup-original-non-stick-cook-set.html

starr_child
03-15-2012, 23:02
I heard that those purifier tablets make the water taste nasty, or is that the iodine ones? The only reason I wanted the shovel was in case I had to potty in between the shelters. I will definitely be bringing a lighter as I am a smoker.

Kelli

Feral Bill
03-15-2012, 23:38
I assume your sleeoing bag is +15 degrees, not -15. No?

starr_child
03-16-2012, 00:15
Yes sorry for the mistype. Would that work if I went in say September? I'm thinking of starting in VA, but not sure yet.

Rocket Jones
03-16-2012, 07:07
The iodine are the 'tasty' pills for water treatment, but some people don't mind it, or add powdered drink mix to their water to hide the taste.

Aqua Mira, on the other hand, has no taste that I can discern. That's my personal choice for water treatment.

You really don't need the trowel. If you need to dig a hole, you can use your heel, a hiking pole, or just find a stick to use. Just in case the method isn't clear: 1. do your business 2. dig hole next to business 3. push business into hole and cover. The trowel never touches the business.

Looking at your list, the one that really jumped out at me was 50' of rope. I carry a bit of paracord, but for hanging my bear bag I use about 50' of braided mason's line - available at your hardware store. Very strong and a fraction of the weight of rope.

If you bought carabiners, did you buy the smallest ones you could find?

As others have mentioned, you can lose the snake bite kit and the first aid kit is serious overkill. You don't need the soap. Likewise the matches, you have a lighter, so having 28 'backup' matches isn't necessary. Might even want to carry a second lighter instead of the matches. Maybe cut the camp towel in half or a quarter?

I'd also cut back on the number of socks. Two pairs for hiking and a third 'camp-only' pair are plenty.

Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!

Sunny Daze
03-16-2012, 18:24
I have those same Columbia boots that were very comfortable for 3 and 4 days Summer and Fall hikes. For my next and longer 2 month summer hike I plan to buy light wt trail shoes. Thanks to every one for their shoe suggestions.

starr_child
03-16-2012, 20:59
OK I found a sporting good store that has Keen and Merrel shoes at decent prices, so I'm gonna go check it out. Thanks for all your help.

Kelli

starr_child
03-16-2012, 23:36
OK another question. I bought hiking poles for $79.95 (2). Do I really need expensive ones the first time out or is it one of those you get what you paid for things? I'm only going 4 weeks, but I would like them to last the whole time. Walmart has 2 for $19.99. Let me know what you think.

BTW: I'm going to do some returns and it looks like it's gonna add up to about $504. Pheew.. more money in my pocket.

Kelli

JAK
03-16-2012, 23:47
Enjoy your hike. Don't worry too much about the gear and clothes and stuff. Smell the flowers.

ScottP
03-17-2012, 00:20
You'll notice a range of opinions on this site. Here are mine, for what they're worth

Camelbak 100 oz antidote reservoir:
I dislike camelbak-type systems for hiking. They're heavy, cumbersome to remove and refill, and often encourage people to carry absurd amounts of water on the AT. Plus, I had one spring a nasty leak on me while i was crossing the Mojave in June. Ick. I use 3 empty 32 ounce gatorade bottles for the AT. You'll rarely find yourself carrying more than 1-2L of water, and 3L is enough to camp away from water should you so choose.

Hiker Pro micro Filter Pro edition
Filters just aren't super useful on the AT. The vast majority of the water is clean and clear. There's a bit of a skill factor in getting the good water--I usually hike upstream just 5-10 yards. If you're afraid of waterborne illnesses then chemical treatments may be a better option. I dislike chemical treatments myself, I'd rather get sick once every 10,000 miles or so than constantly drink chemicals. You can use iodine and then add neutralizer tablets (those are just vitamin C, I think?) which turns the iodine into a flavorless and inert chemical. Aqua mira and bleach are OK too. A steripen is probably a great option too (kills stuff with UV light) But really, I just drink the water.

Jet Boil Flash personal cooking system
Jet Boil stabilizer kit

Jet Boil is kind of a silly system, in my opinion. If you're cooking real food a basic canister-stove and titanium pot is much lighter. If you're just boiling water for mountain houses, ramen, mashed potatoes, etc. then an alcohol stove is a better option.

Marmot women's -15 degree sleeping bag (Is Marmot a good brand to buy?) in

You want an appropiate sleeping bag. Marmot is a good brand, but a -15 bag is overkill. You'll roast! A 30 degree bag is probably fine, or even a 40 if you're already carrying a down or puffy insulating layer that you can wear to sleep. But really it depends on the time of the year you decide to plan your trip. In my opinion western mountaineering and montbell are the two best major sleeping bag manufacturers. Marmot's excellent as well.

Kelty Women's Red Cloud 80 Internal Frame Backpack (which I paid $179 at the store, then found it on Amazon for $35 cheaper w/free shipping, so it's going bck)

That's just massive. About 3 times the size of what you actually want. I've hiked thousands of miles on the AT with a <20L pack. If you need a 80L pack you're doing something odd. Or wrong.

50 ft of rope

That's a lot of rope. I don't carry any. I don't really think that bear-bagging is responsible since it doesn't actually work. It's actually illegal in lots of places out west because all it does is give bears a fun game to play before dinner.

small shovel
Keep it at home. When there isn't a privy handy sticks, rocks, and hiking poles work fine for digging.
hiking poles
The cheap ones are fine. You may not even like using them. Or you may love them.

Large brimmed hat- not needed. You'll probably be under the leaves most of the day anyways.

insect repellant- probably not needed on the AT in Virginia. I live a few miles from it and I've never had bug problems that were more than very localized.

Waterproof matches (28) - 2 mini bic lighters are probably more useful
Snake kit- not needed. Not like they work anyways
Blister kit / moleskim- in my experience moleskin makes blisters worse, not better. If the problem is rubbing, then building up the area with the rubbing isn't super useful. Covering it with duct tape is an OK solution, but really

Tenton camp pillow- use the clothes you aren't wearing as a pillow
Lifeline 85 piece first aid kit- you're probably more likely to hurt yourself by carrying pounds of stuff that isn't useful than you are to help someone with a large medkit. Unless you're like a nurse or a doctor or something keep it to the essentials.

Counter assault bear pepper spray- leave it at home.
Dri Ducks Ultra lite jacket pants set- those are fine. depending on the time of year leave the pants at home. I pretty much never use rainpants.
Cold pruf thermals top/bottoms X2- Probably fine
Infinity plastic plate/bowl/cup- keep all this stuff at home and eat out of your pot.
Campware utensil set- all you need is a spoon or a spork. Leave the rest at home.
Tikinna head lamp- it's fine.
Camp towel- use a cotton bandanna instead. Those camp towel things turn into nasty bacteria colonies
4 pairs of fox river outdoor performance hiking socks-3 pairs of socks is a good number
Camp soap= leave this stuff at home, please. Not very environmentally friendly.

as far as footwear goes, find what works for you. There isn't a good reason for most people to be hiking in boots. In my opinion the major shoe companies make higher quality trail shoes than the hiker-specific companies. Check out New balance, brooks, saucony, etc. But really you want a shoe based on a model that fits your foot, so choose based on that first.

As far as food goes, the mountain house things are ok. They're expensive, very high in salt, and can cause some digestive problems for some people. Maybe use them as part of your food strategy, but not as all of it.

What are you doing for shelter at night? It's considered poor form/bad manners to rely on the lean-to's.

starr_child
03-17-2012, 02:30
Well I was planning on returning a majority of the stuff I bought.. As far a back back it is going back as well. I'm going to look at other options. I was considering a tent, but planned on using the shelters on the trail. I had no idea it was bad manners to use them. I thought that's what they were there for. I looked at tents, but I couldn't find one that didn't weight a ton or cost an arm and an a leg. My sleeping bag is actually a 15 degree sleeping bag. I talked to someone at REI and he suggested a Marmot Angel Fire 30 degree down sleeping bag. He said they are lighter and can compact a lot better. Good news is as a member of REI they are having a sale next week. The sleeping bag is $169 and I'll get 20% off, I'd like to go soon, but if that doesn't work, I'm thinking September. Is a 30 degree sleeping bag going to be warm enough even with thermals that time of year? Thank you for your input.

Kelli

Spokes
03-17-2012, 06:52
Bring a tent. Never know when the shelter will be too full to squeeze in another body. Don't try and hike the AT with one sleeping bag. It'll either be too heavy for the summer or too light for the winter. Most NOBO thru hikers swap out their winter gear in Pearisburg, VA and get it sent back around Hanover, NH.

Preventing the buy/ return cycle you seem to be going through is accomplished by good research and doing several shakedown hikes to hone your system. Read the article link Maren sent you earlier.

Hit the Appalachian Trail Conservancy webpage and scoure their resource pages.

Here's another great 10 page article from Backpacker Magazine about hiking the AT. It covers pretty much every aspect you need to know (ignore the popup)

http://www.backpacker.com/november_2008_american_classic_hiking_the_appalach ian_trail/destinations/12530/

Cheers!

coach lou
03-17-2012, 08:04
Definitely check out the articles listed along the sidebar on the main page. You'll find tons of great information there.

I'd suggest practicing with all your gear at home before heading out, including cooking with your stove and eating two or three of your Mountain House dinners. Set up your tent, set it up again when it's almost dark, and in the rain if you can. Spend a few nights sleeping in your bag outside (tent, porch, whatever) and make sure you can stay warm.

Get to know your equipment and get comfortable with it. The time to gain that experience is before you're out there on the trail. It won't guarantee success, and not doing it won't guarantee failure, but you're doing this for fun and it makes sense to prepare as much as you can so you can not worry so much about details.

When you have real results with your practice, then come on back and search for related threads. If you can't find the answers you need, ask questions and you'll hear lots of suggestions and opinions. The trick is to figure out what works best for you.

Have fun. Hike your own hike. It's not about the miles, it's about what you experience along the way.

rocket Jones makes the most sense here.We can tell you allsorts of dos & don'ts, what gear works for me, but a first time hiker needs experience more than anything else. Do some short trips, and take all your trash with you and fine tune it as you go, then hit delete............I don't remember the milage total just most of the fun.

Creek Dancer
03-17-2012, 08:07
I am not sure what ScottP meant by "It's considered poor form/bad manners to rely on the lean-to's". I don't think it's bad manners, but it's not a good idea because they could be full when you get there. And without a tent, what would you do? So taking along some type of shelter is a good idea.

Also, it's important to treat your water in some way. There are methods to reducing your chance of getting sick from bad water, like don't get water from a pasture where animals graze, water near a road, water downstream from a privy, etc. But you just never know what will make you sick, and what will not.

Lots of good advice on this thread. Have a great time!

Creek Dancer
03-17-2012, 08:15
Looks like the Marmot Angle Fire bag on sale at REI is actually a 25 degree bag, which I think would be sufficient for Virginia in September. At 2 lbs. 13 oz., the weight is not too bad. Since this is a down bag, be extra careful to keep this bag dry by using a waterproof stuff sack. Marmot is a very good brand and I don't think you can go wrong with this bag.

starr_child
03-18-2012, 02:02
Looks like there is a change of plans. I went to Spots Limited today. The guy suggested hiking the Pacific Crest Trail because it's a nice hike and right here where I live. Has anyone ever hiked this trail? I was also looking at down sleeping bags. He suggested a Kelty Down 20, but also said Kelty was a bottom of the line product. What is your feeling on this product. I tried on a Osprey Kestrel 68 backpack.To be honest I didn't like the way it felt. I know my Kelty is heavy, but it feels comfortable on my back. I put everything I have so far in my backpack (package and all) just to get a feel for how it would feel on my back. I also weighted myself with the pack on. It weighted roughly 23 lbs. The guy also suggested a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core. Because I sleep on my side I need something with good padding. I laid on this pad and it felt great. Doesn't seem to weigh a lot or be too bulky. Any feelings?

Kelli

Spokes
03-18-2012, 08:30
Mags website has a lot of great information about the PCT.......

http://www.pmags.com/pacific-crest-trail-planning-info

ScottP
03-18-2012, 10:10
The PCT is a much more beautiful and scenic trail than the AT. It isn't technical most of the year, but doing it safely requires a lot more knowledge and fitness than the AT. Most areas on the PCT are only nice for hiking a few months out of the year. Most of the AT is good hiking pretty much year round.

The beauty of learning on the AT is that it's pretty much idiot-proof--it's a better trail for the beginner. On the other hand, most PCT hikers are somewhat skilled, so you'll be in a community that can teach you and help you learn. Most AT hikers are inexperienced, so it's hard to learn from your peers.

If you can get a good deal on a round trip flight out east, then by all means do the AT.

IMO the sleeping bag is pretty much the only piece of gear that needs to be nice. Buy this first, and budget around getting everything else next. My sleeping bag was more costly than the rest of my gear combined.

starr_child
03-18-2012, 11:25
Ok Scott are you saying skip the Kelty sleeping bag and maybe go for a Marmot instead? I've also been looking at tents and again the guy showed me a Kelty Salida 2. Do you think Kelty is bottom of the barrel as far as gear?

moongoddess
03-18-2012, 12:00
Kelty gear isn't bottom-of-the-barrel, but you can probably do better for not much more money. The Kelty Salida 2 is heavy for its size. And if you're hiking solo, you don't need the room (and extra weight) of a two-person tent! What's your maximum budget for a shelter? There are lots of lightweight tent and tarp options out there, but you won't find most of them at REI; you need to go online and buy them directly from small manufacturers. If you can give us an approximate idea of how much you are willing to spend, we can make some suggestions. The Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout or Skyscape Trekker, the Tarptent Contrail or TarpTent Moment, or the Lightheart Gear Lightheart Solo tents are just a few of many possibilities you might want to check out.

starr_child
03-18-2012, 12:19
Well I'm sure how much I want to spend. At this point I am definitely going over the $700 max that one other person thought I should spend. I did take a lot of stuff back to Sporsmans Warehouse. I got about $460 back and still have some stuff to exchange/return at REI. I looked for those tents are REI and didn't find any of them. Can you go to the site and see what tents you suggest? Thanks for your help.

Kelli

moongoddess
03-18-2012, 13:18
As I said, you won't find a lot of the very best lightweight gear at REI (although they do have some, if you know where to look for it). Here are a number of possible tent suggestions, with links:

Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout: http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/SkyscapeScout.html
Six Moon Designs Skyscape Trekker: http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/Trekker.html
Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo: http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tents/LunarSolo.html
TarpTent Contrail: http://www.tarptent.com/contrail.html
TarpTent Moment: http://www.tarptent.com/moment.html
TarpTent Notch: http://www.tarptent.com/notch.html
TarpTent Rainbow: http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html
Lightheart Solo: http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=15&zenid=1d95385875cdd786b1aaf31d8c17ee57

And now a few you can find at REI:

MSR Hubba: http://www.rei.com/product/810036/msr-hubba-1p-tent
REI Quarterdome T1: http://www.rei.com/product/827783/rei-quarter-dome-t1-tent
Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1: http://www.rei.com/product/827912/big-agnes-copper-spur-ul1-tent
Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1: http://www.rei.com/product/779612/big-agnes-fly-creek-ul1-tent
Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1: http://www.rei.com/product/830977/big-agnes-seedhouse-sl1-tent

These are all proven performers and they all weigh at least 2 pounds less than the Kelty Salida. They're all relatively easy to set up, which is important when you're just starting out. It's just a matter of what features you want (single-wall versus double wall, freestanding versus non-freestanding, total weight) and how large your budget is. You have a LOT of great options when it comes to tents!

ScottP
03-18-2012, 13:45
if I were you I'd gear up like this (some prices and weights are estimates):

Things get heavy and expensive at the same time when you start carrying/buying stuff you just don't need.

any cheap/light 25-30L pack. Here's one at 1.5 lbs, $100 http://www.rei.com/product/827115/rei-stoke-29-pack You don't even need a fancy one. I did most of the PCT, including the high sierra with a kid's school backpack (pink!) and thousands of miles on the at with a 18L pack.

thermarest ridgerest short, $25, 10 oz
Thermarest alpine down blanket, $250, 21 oz
6x10 flat silnylon tarp, $90 9 oz
groundcloth: painter's dropcloth (plastic) hardware store 3 oz $10

MSR pocket rocket $35, 4 oz
REI brand titanium 1L pot, $55, 6 oz
Ti spork 1 oz $10
aqua mira 1 oz $15
3x 32 oz gatorade bottles $5, 4 oz

o2 rainwear/dri ducks type rain jacket (o2 rainwear is a cheap knockoff of dri ducks/frogg toggs)
fleece hat
running shorts/skirt
poly t-shirt
MWT long sleeve shirt
3 pairs running socks
running shoes that fit you and are comfy +1 extra size up

If you think bugs might be a problem just bring a headnet. If you're going to be in colder weather add fleece pants and a nice down vest. Same sleeping bag will be fine until you hit winter.

If you're in mosquito hell (spring/early summer in new england, or parts of the PCT) bring a lightweight bug bivy (a-16)

If you're in the desert on the PCT add 2-3 more gatorade bottles.

moongoddess
03-18-2012, 13:51
Oh, and here's another option for a lightweight 1-person tent which I don't think REI stocks, but which your local stores may have (if you don't want to buy it online): Eureka Spitfire http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___23889

moongoddess
03-18-2012, 14:08
ScottP's list is a good one. With any piece of gear, always ask what benefits you're really getting if you go with a larger/heavier/pricier option over the lightest/cheapest/most basic model. For instance, since you're a side sleeper you might want an inflatable air mattress like that Big Agnes pad you looked at rather than a Ridgerest. It will be heavier, but better sleep may be worth the weight increase. Likewise, you may decide you prefer the bug protection and slightly easier setup of a tent over a tarp since you've not had much experience hiking yet, even though the lightest tent on my list weighs at least double the weight of the tarp ScottP has suggested. But what do you gain by carrying a 5 pound, 2-person tent instead of a 2 pound, one person tent? Nothing of value, just extra weight. Why carry an 80 liter pack if everything will fit into a 30 liter pack? The larger pack will be heavier, and the extra room isn't something you need; again, that's carrying extra weight for no gain. What does a 1 pound traditional pump filter offer that Aqua Mira or a 2 ounce Sawyer Squeeze filter doesn't - apart from complexity and extra weight?

As you've already discovered, your local outfitter and REI are both happy to weigh you down with heavy, cumbersome, unnecessary "necessary" gear. Think in terms of simplicity, lightness, and safety when you put your kit together, and you won't go wrong. Make every piece of gear EARN its way into your pack! Hiking's more fun when you're not imitating a pack mule.

Theosus
03-18-2012, 15:37
The water filtering/purifying thing had me stumped. I must have read fifty articles on water purifying. A hiker friend finally suggested I go with the Sawyer in line filter. They sell just the filter part of their gravity system. I got that and a two liter $10 walmart reservoir for my "dirty water" bag. I can fill the dirty bag, pop the bite valve off my camel bak hose, and let the filtered water drain into it without removing it from the pack. then the empty dirty water bag rolls up and stuffs in a side pouch with the filter. It's lighter than the pumps I looked at, and no chemicals to mess with. I like the camelback unbottle system myself. It's the camel bak reservoir in a cloth support baggie with clips.
For food, since I'm boiling water for food any way, there's no real need to filter that, just boil.
I looked into jetboil, but my little snow peak giga power stove and .7 liter cup look a lot lighter and less cumbersome. I prefer meals in a sack... Either home made or some type of prefab store thing. It keeps me from having to clean the cup, and I can drink something from the cup while eating my food, like cappuccino or something.
I only tried the REI poles. I got them half price but I love them. I was going to get walmart poles but I was worried about them holding up long term, specifically the lock mechanism. I like the flip lock over the twist lock, but that's just me. They've got 25 miles on them now total, that's not much but I'm happy so far.
I'm still a noob too, your miles may vary. I'm going on a group section hike in October, hopefully I can put some of what I'm learning to the test.

starr_child
03-18-2012, 19:33
OK I found this tent: REI Passage 1 Tent total weight is 4 lbs 2 oz, I also look at the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 Tent total weight 1 lb. 14 oz.Marmot EOS 1p tent 2 lbs. 12 oz.Big Agnes seedhouse SL1 Tent 2 lbs. 1 oz.REI Quarter Dome T1 Tent 2 lbs. 14 oz... I couldn't find the ones you suggested on REI or Amazon.. I found these on REI.. Tell me what you think.

Kelli

starr_child
03-18-2012, 19:53
In doing my returns I couldn't find the hiker Pro on my receipt.. The lady checking me out was kinda dingy and not ringing up stuff and it was just a mess I think the filter didn't get rung up, so I think I'm going to keep it. It's not that heavy.. I'm gonna get 2 Nalgene Bottles.. The filter fits right on top to put it right in the bottles. I don't know what to do about the backpack. I really like this one, but you are right it's heavy and big.. The one 2 I tried on at Sports LTD I really didn't care for.. Maybe I need to go back and try on more.. I don't know.

starr_child
03-18-2012, 20:49
Ok I decided to keep my Hiker pro filter. I couldn't find it on my receipt so I think the lady never rung it up. I know it's a little heavy, but I'm going to buy 2 Nalgene bottle and filter it right into the bottles. As far as backpacks i don't know what do except go back to Sports LTD and try on more. The 2 I tried on I didn't really care for. I noticed the straps digging in my shoulders (in front). It may have been because of the weights he had in it.. I don't know, but I will continue to look at backpacks.

moongoddess
03-18-2012, 21:27
OK I found this tent: REI Passage 1 Tent total weight is 4 lbs 2 oz

In my opinion, that's too heavy for a 1 person tent. You want to stay below 3 pounds maximum (and 2 pounds is better).

I also look at the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 Tent total weight 1 lb. 14 oz.Marmot EOS 1p tent 2 lbs. 12 oz.Big Agnes seedhouse SL1 Tent 2 lbs. 1 oz.REI Quarter Dome T1 Tent 2 lbs. 14 oz...

Of those models, my choice would be either the Fly Creek UL1, or the Seedhouse SL1, because they're the lightest. But any of them would work.

I couldn't find the ones you suggested on REI or Amazon.. I found these on REI..

I told you, the very best lightweight gear isn't sold by REI or Amazon; you have to buy it directly from the manufacturer. Try clicking on the links in my earlier post; they'll take you directly to the manufacturer's page for each of those tents. And they're worth looking at! The TarpTent Contrail weighs 1 pound 4 ounces and costs $200. The Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout weighs 2 pounds 2 ounces and costs $125. Compare those weights and prices to what REI is selling, and you'll see you may save either money or weight by going with the cottage gear companies' offerings.

starr_child
03-18-2012, 21:29
Ok how about the Alps Mountaineering 3-Season Mystique 1.0 AL 1-Person Tent. It weights 3 lbs 11 oz.. it is a bit on the heavy side, but not as heavy as the Kelty Salida 2 @5 lbs 8 ozs. There is someone selling one on Craigslist that was only used once. He has the bug net and the footprint. He said he'd go down to $100. Is it worth it? Thank you for putting up with all my silly questions.

moongoddess
03-18-2012, 21:40
Frankly, I'd skip it; that tent is too heavy even if it is cheap. Why buy a used 3 lb 11 oz tent for $100 when you can get a 2 lb 2 oz tent (brand new, with a warranty) for $125?

Oh, and as for backpacks: don't forget that you can order packs from REI and return them if they don't fit well. You're not limited to what your local Sports LTD stocks. Some brands to look for include Osprey, Granite Gear, GoLite. Also consider trying a pack from Ultralight Adventure Equipment (http://www.ula-equipment.com/). A lot of hikers really like the ULA Catalyst and ULA Circuit packs. They're comfortable and made right here in the USA, in Utah. You can cAll the owner of the company on the phone and ask him questions about what models and features would be best for you.

starr_child
03-18-2012, 22:19
Ok I'll skip the craigs list tent. Do any of the models I posted sound good.. those are all at REI. As far as back packs I tried a Osprey Kestrel 68 Mountaineering backpack weighting in at 3 lbs. 13 oz.. http://www.rei.com/product/828436/osprey-kestrel-68-pack Again I didn't like the way it felt, but it might of been the weights the guy had in it, Let me know what you think of this one. I joined REI and just to let everyone know they are having a 20% off sale starting on the 23rd of March. If you need any equipment now would be the time to get it.

moongoddess
03-18-2012, 22:42
As I said, the Big Agnes fly Creek UL1 and the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 are both good tents. You'd be fine with either of them.

Osprey makes many other smaller packs besides the Kestrel: the Exos, the Atmos, the Talon, the Ariel, etc. If the Kestrel didn't fit you well, try a different model. You're looking for a comfortable pack in the 3-4 lb weight range, 30-50 L in volume, which can carry up to 30 lbs comfortably. Anything bigger or beefier than that is overkill. The brand of the pack doesn't matter much; you just want it to be comfy on your back. Take your time with this; the pack and the shoes you take MUST fit you well or you'll have problems.

Feral Bill
03-18-2012, 22:58
This (http://www.rei.com/product/827065/rei-flash-52-pack-womens) fits into the range that Moongoddess is sensibly discussing. As always, how it fits you is the main issue. This (http://www.rei.com/product/830582/rei-flash-50-pack-special-buy) is the older model, much cheaper at REI outlet. Both look good, in the store.

moongoddess
03-18-2012, 23:36
That REI Flash 50 pack on sale in the REI outlet is a bargain. Looks like a nice pack too. I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

Maren
03-19-2012, 00:32
The Flash 50 is a great pack at a great price. It can configured as frameless pack, as well. I have one and have no complaints.

starr_child
03-19-2012, 00:33
OK I have decided to go with the Big Agnes Fly UL1 Tent or the MSR Hubba Tent
2 lbs. 13 oz. and the REI Flash 65 Pack - Women's 2 lbs. 14 oz.and a Marmot Angel Fire +25 degree womans sleeping bag. I had to pick something.. I've been driving myself nuts trying to look for the right stuff and enough is enough,

Feral Bill
03-19-2012, 00:44
OK I have decided to go with the Big Agnes Fly UL1 Tent or the MSR Hubba Tent
2 lbs. 13 oz. and the REI Flash 65 Pack - Women's 2 lbs. 14 oz.and a Marmot Angel Fire +25 degree womans sleeping bag. I had to pick something.. I've been driving myself nuts trying to look for the right stuff and enough is enough, You are using an intelligent approach. I expect it will pay off for you.

moongoddess
03-19-2012, 11:44
Your selections sound good. Just make sure the Flash 50 fits you well; don't be afraid to return it to REI if it doesn't. It can take a bit of time to find the right pack (comfy, not too large, not too heavy), just like it can take a bit of time to find the right shoes or boots - but in both cases, the effort is well worth it. And you should get many years of use from that sleeping bag and either of those tents.

Now go outside and have fun! :banana

starr_child
03-19-2012, 19:44
OY Vey.. I don't have a REI near me so I went back to sports LTD and tried on some more backpacks. I tried on some Osprey's and Gregory's. I didn't like the way the Osprey's feel. But I found a Gregory that I really liked. It's the Gregory Deva 60 Womens. It's a little heavier than I wanted at 5 lbs 5 oz, but it feels great.The guy put 35 lbs of weight in it and it was not hard to carry. Seeing as I only have 3 options for to try on backpacks i had to go with with what I thought was comfortable.

jeffmeh
03-19-2012, 19:58
I concur with the moongoddess regarding going directly to a cottage gear manufacturer for a tent. And I feel the same way around packs since you can get something lighter than what REI would have for comparable money. I also wouldn't bother with Nalgene bottles, and would go with lighter gatorade (or other bottled drink) bottles. All that said, go with what you find comfortable and enjoy the experience.

Feral Bill
03-20-2012, 02:01
OY Vey.. I don't have a REI near me so I went back to sports LTD and tried on some more backpacks. I tried on some Osprey's and Gregory's. I didn't like the way the Osprey's feel. But I found a Gregory that I really liked. It's the Gregory Deva 60 Womens. It's a little heavier than I wanted at 5 lbs 5 oz, but it feels great.The guy put 35 lbs of weight in it and it was not hard to carry. Seeing as I only have 3 options for to try on backpacks i had to go with with what I thought was comfortable. That 35 pounds will make you work going uphill, even if it is comfortable on the back. I'd suggest ordring the Flash 50, trying it out for a bit, then deciding to keep it or not. Thats REI policy and marketing strategy.