PDA

View Full Version : any Aether 45 users have comments?

SalParadise
03-27-2005, 19:37
I've bought an Osprey Aether 45 for my thru-hike and am wondering if any users of this pack have any comments. I am finding a pack cover doesn't really stay on, so I'm thinking of sealing the seams and going without one. I am hoping since the bag and clothes stay at the bottom, they will stay relatively dry. Sometimes objects in the pack can make it slightly uncomfortable to wear also, as they bulge through the back padding, but I'm thinking a better packing job can fix it.

I was only curious if anyone has used this pack before that there may be some comments or tips I could consider to making it a better pack before I go out there.

grrickar
03-29-2005, 15:28
Use a trash compactor bag as a liner. Put the sleeping bag in another if you are using a down bag, just for extra peace of mind. I'd think you would be fine.

bulldog49
03-29-2005, 16:05
Forget using a trash bag, they tear too easily. Just buy a waterproof stuff sack for your sleeping bag, it won't get wet unless you decide to wear it swimming. Get a pack cover, like the one Gregory sells, that has attachment loops as well as a draw cord. It will stay on even in heavy winds.

Porter99
04-01-2005, 21:05
Hey SalP...

I have an Aether 45 and I love it. I believe you can seam seal that sucker and it's going to be pretty close to waterproof. With the fold down top, like a dry bag, it will keep most water out, but I would try a pack liner just to be sure. GOLITE makes ultralite stuff sacks in huge sizes specifically to be used as a pack liner or did (as Ray Jardine used with the Breeze design). I saw some at Rockfish Gap Outfitters in Waynesboro, VA on Sale!!-(540) 943-1461 ask for Rich if you're interested, not sure what's left.
Other things I love about the pack, the side pockets on the waistbelt, great for map or lip stuff. The dense foam pad that serves as a frame can be taken out and used as a sit pad or part of your sleeping pad. I dig the tie down design on the back for strapping hats, wet tarp, z-lite (rest) pad, etc...

SalParadise
04-01-2005, 21:26
thanks for all the comments. I'm pretty tight for room right now, so hopefully I'll manage to get all my food in there. It's all seam-sealed, so I'll try that and then a garbage bag as an inside liner. This is my first frameless pack, so I'm keeping my tent poles between the bag and the pad to keep things from bulging on my back.
Thanks again. I guess I just wanted some assurrance that it would work fine for a long-distance hike.

pabo
04-06-2005, 14:22
thanks for all the comments. I'm pretty tight for room right now, so hopefully I'll manage to get all my food in there. It's all seam-sealed, so I'll try that and then a garbage bag as an inside liner. Just piping in to say that the recommendation was a trash-compactor bag, not your regular old garbage bag. I've heard that the compactor bags are much more durable and they will last a lot longer than a crappy hefty bag.
I also bought an aether 45 but I haven't used it enough to tell you what I think of it yet ;)

yogi clyde
04-06-2005, 15:21
I found an inexpensive pack cover at Campmor that stayed on even in some strong winds going across Hump Mtn.

I also line my pack with a thick mil trash bag, and also line my sleeping bag stuff sack for extra protection.

I found putting my tent pole along the inside back corner worked well.

Good pack, I especially like the hip belt.

Good luck on your hike!