PDA

View Full Version : Backpacks - What do you have?

DeeHiker
03-15-2012, 10:56
Hi Ladies,

I bought the North Face Crestone 60 Backpack in 2008 when I backpaced for several days on the AT. It weighs almost 6 lbs. I love the pack, but I think I need to cut weight by getting a lighter backpack. Any suggestions for a lighter pack?????????????:)

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/j/johnmuir108391.html)

sterling98
03-15-2012, 11:11
Deuter is usually the lightest you'll find at someplace like REI or another outfitter. I have the Act Lite 60 + 10 and it weights 3.5 lbs or something. I like it, it's an nice pack for me. Otherwise, ULA, GoLite, and Gossamer Gear are pretty popular for UL packs.

ambroseya
03-15-2012, 11:12
I have the Deuter ACT Lite 60/10 because it was the most comfortable to me. Our bodies are frequently so different, that while I believe my pack fits like a dream and can easily carry 30 pounds in it, the lighter packs were very uncomfortable even when empty. I've seen many threads with people sharing this experience with many packs and I have to assume it's what fits your body that matters.

If you have to buy online and can't try on in a store, I strongly suggest carrying it weighted before removing the tags (around your home) and then returning it if it doesn't work for you. Lighter can mean miserable, although I'm sure you can find something under 6lbs easily that does fit you.

RedBeerd
03-15-2012, 11:26
I have an older REI Ridgeline 65 I bought as my first multi-day pack. Weighs about 5lbs. If I upgraded I would be a few ounces under 15lbs! Doesnt fit me all that great, but its what I got! Sadly, The lighter you go the lighter your wallet gets too....

RedBeerd
03-15-2012, 11:28
...pick up the latest Backpacker Editors Choice Awards magazine. Covers a bunch of UL and lightweight packs for men and women. Lots of good info if you're looking for a lighter backpack.

birdygal
03-15-2012, 12:55
I have a golite pinacle 1 lb 15 oz

Edwardo Rodriguez
03-15-2012, 13:07
This year am taken Osprey Exos 65 Pack 3lb 9oz on the John Muir Trail if it work out for me I will be taken it on the AT next year. Am fear in an UL backpack is can it handle (or how it carry on your back) the section of your Thru hike where your pack will weigh the most and can it handle the riggers of a long hike.

AjR
03-15-2012, 13:24
I have a JanSport external frame (I want to say the Carson?) It's a great, tough bag with plenty of storage, but it weighs about 4 1/2 to 5 lbs, I don't remember exactly. I know I'm in the market for a couple of light bags, one for me and one for my wife...

AjR
03-15-2012, 13:44
I have been hearing a lot about Osprey bags, are they pretty good?

Creek Dancer
03-15-2012, 13:44
I use a GoLite Jam for short trips and summer trips when I typically don't carry much more than 20-22 pounds with food and water. This pack craps out at about 25 pounds, so I keep it light.

For winter and fall, I use an Osprey Aerial which I love. This pack fits me perfectly, but it's also 4 1/2 pounds empty. For a week long trip, with food and water, my pack is about 31 pounds.

Creek Dancer
03-15-2012, 13:45
I have been hearing a lot about Osprey bags, are they pretty good?

Best bag I own. And I have five.

Sassafras Lass
03-15-2012, 13:54
My pack for last year was the Gregory Jade 50 (3 lbs, 14 oz) - it was the closest thing to 'fitting right' that I could find - and I visited 3 outfitters and tried nearly 2 dozen packs. Previous to that I just used whatever backpacks were lying around the house, to the chagrin of my shoulders and clavicles. The Gregory was more of a headache than a pleasure, so I sold it and bought the ULA Circuit (https://joannareichertphotography.wordpress.com/2012/02/22/new-backpack/) - fits me like a dream and it's stupid light. 36 oz + 1 oz for the custom purple I ordered it in. One of the best gear decisions I've made yet, and it'll be with me on our next thru-hike attempt this June.

Creek Dancer
03-15-2012, 14:07
That's a nice pack, Sassafras. I would definately look into this one if I were in the market for a new pack.

Juice
03-15-2012, 14:31
Zpacks medium "Zero", 36 liter pack with options weighs 7.2oz

P1nkPanther
03-17-2012, 08:02
I use a GoLite Quest and love it. It has few pockets/storage areas which I prefer. Less for me to remember where I stashed what. But both my main hiking partners (husband and female best friend) have Ospreys and love the 34,567 pockets. They also love the mesh back support thingy for the Ospreys (I'm sure there's a more technical term for that) but I found it annoying when I tried one on.

bigcranky
03-17-2012, 09:12
Osprey makes excellent women's packs. My wife loves her Ariel 55. Not ultralight, but excellent nonetheless.

You might also check out the ULA Circuit with the S-curved shoulder straps.

nu2hike
03-19-2012, 20:17
ULA Ohm! Luv it!

moongoddess
03-19-2012, 20:34
I have to also put in a good word for the ULA packs; I have a Catalyst and really like it. But if you'd like to upgrade without spending a ton of money, REI currently has their old model Flash 50 on sale in their outlet section for only $100. A 3 lb pack for $100 from a company with a 100% satisfaction guarantee - it's hard to beat that! And that's before applying the 20% off coupon that usually comes out sometime in late March...

skinewmexico
03-20-2012, 11:55
...pick up the latest Backpacker Editors Choice Awards magazine. Covers a bunch of UL and lightweight packs for men and women. Lots of good info if you're looking for a lighter backpack.

I didn't see any packs in there I'd call UL. Did see a lot of advertisers being rewarded.

There are a multitude of great packs, made in the USA. Give Chris at ULA, or Grant at Gossamer Gear, or Ron at MLD, or Ron at SMD a call, and they'll walk you thru the merits and fits of their various packs, designed and built by thru-hikers. See what great customer service is really like, and end up with a fantastic pack.

Bear Cables
03-20-2012, 13:28
I use a GoLite Quest and love it. It has few pockets/storage areas which I prefer. Less for me to remember where I stashed what. But both my main hiking partners (husband and female best friend) have Ospreys and love the 34,567 pockets. They also love the mesh back support thingy for the Ospreys (I'm sure there's a more technical term for that) but I found it annoying when I tried one on.

I also have the Quest amd love it. My sister loves her Osprey and yes it does have lots of pockets. I find less pockets keep me more organized. Also have the larger Golite Oddessy for winter hiking when I need more gear

Amanita
03-20-2012, 14:54
I have a Mountain Hardwear women's Tadita 50. It's 3 pounds about flat, fits me really well, and has great load transfer to the hips. Last summer I was carrying 15-18 lbs base, about 25lbs with full load food and water, and this pack was great. This summer I'm looking to go even lighter, but I'll probably stick with this pack until I'm ready to take the plunge to ultralight and frameless.

Maren
03-20-2012, 15:41
I have an REI Flash 50 with the frame and brain removed. Just over 26 oz.

GrassyNoel
03-20-2012, 18:15
I traded in my REI Mars 80 (way too big, and webbing was breaking after less than 50 miles) for an Osprey Aether 60. Best gear decision I've made yet. It is a lighter pack, but it feels much, much lighter than a 1lb difference. My back hurts less and is less sweaty during the hike. I took the lid off as well. I looked at the new REI lightweight Flash 65L pack, but it looked so flimsy that I'm sure I'd break it within a few trips.

Maren
03-21-2012, 15:40
I've had good luck with the 50 (last year's model), but I wasn't impressed with the latest versions.

Khike
03-21-2012, 17:04
Aether 60 here. Great pack. Never know you have it on. kevin

q-tip
03-21-2012, 18:01
New Granite Gear Crown VC 60-2 lbs.2 oz. Fits like a charm

ndwoods
03-24-2012, 02:19
Ditto ULA packs. I have the old P-2...wish they still made it!

Old Boots
03-24-2012, 09:51
I have 3 packs each which works well for me. I have a ULA Circuit for the AT, REI Flash 65 for hiking in true wilderness, and a Jansport external for winter camping.

Owlbear
03-24-2012, 13:17
+1 for the GoLite Quest. Just about the lightest pack (in my price range, at least) I've come across that still has an internal frame, weighing in at 2lbs 13oz. I know price shouldn't be an "end-all" factor, but I think it should be noted that you can pick up a Quest for $80 over at GoLite's clearance section at the moment.

http://www.golite.com/Clearance.aspx

DonnaVO
03-24-2012, 16:34
For my planned AT thru-hike March 2013, I will probably purchase Hyperlite Mountain Gear's Windrider Southwest Ultralite pack at 1.6 lbs. It's very basic; made from cuben fiber (the technology is pretty fascinating); and waterproof (so you don't need a pack cover).

Hawkwind61
03-30-2012, 22:18
I have an external frame Kelty Trekker 64 that I have stripped the pack off, leaving only the shoulder straps and hip belt intact.

I am in the process of adding straps, loops, and grommets to various stuff sacks that I have. In the process I have also pirated some of the hard wear and the lid off my old EMS Ascent 4200.

Basically creating what I need. I have so much trouble getting a comfortable pack for my short torso that I decided to go with a 'packless' system along the lines of what Carol "Brawny" Wellman designed for herself.

Slow n' Steady
05-07-2012, 20:34
I have a Granite Gear Ki, which I love because the front opens all the way down with two parallel zippers. I can access gear anywhere in my pack without taking anything out. It's around 3 lbs. However, I need a bigger pack for winter gear. Any lightweight packs out there that are 3 lbs or less and carry 4,000 cu. inches?

SunnyWalker
05-07-2012, 21:54
I really recommend the ULA Catalyst.

Cozy
05-07-2012, 22:06
I have the Northface Alteo 50 and love it at 3.6 lbs with a trampoline back. Most comfortable form fitting pack. It's a toploader with a huge compartment that also has a side entrance. Mesh compartments inside. Totally love it! Good luck finding a new pack! Will pray you find the exact one you need!

LadybugPicnic
05-07-2012, 22:58
I have the REI Flash 50 as well - really light, comfy, and I love it. I also recently acquired a cuben fiber pack that's even lighter, is waterproof, and also comfy - I haven't decided which to use for the through hike, but I'll get it worked out. Good luck in your search!

Live_for_hiking
05-08-2012, 00:27
Dana Design Bomber pack that I got around 1995. Lots of fond memories with that one ... I refuse to get rid of it.

ULA: CDT - great go fast pack. Very comfy. It's the pack I grab for weekend hikes. (majority of my hikes are 1-2 nights).
ULA: Circuit - Just got it and will take it for a 5 day spin starting this weekend. I guess I'll have to post my comments after I return.