PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Atmos 65

moocow
03-15-2012, 11:54
Do I need the top lid? I wanted to take it off since it is removable but my wife argues that it will only make water come into the pack just that much easier. I'm not using it with my current set up. And its just a bulky, airy, floppy waste of space for me. And I thought I've read that many people with top load lids remove them on the trail anyway. Any suggestions?

Spokes
03-15-2012, 12:32
I thru hiked with mine on. Kept my headlamp, daily snack bag, small dry sack with valuables, clothes drying line, ziplock with guidebook, etc. It was just convenient.

You could always start out with it and if you can do without, mail it home when you get to the next post office.

Cheers!

Edwardo Rodriguez
03-15-2012, 12:49
Last year I took the Atmos 65 on the John Muir Trail with the top flap. I put some of my rain gear first aid kit, maps and a few other things things that I might need to get to in a hurry also make sure you contact Osprey asking them for a new belt buckle for your pack mine broke on the trail. It will not cost you anything for the replacement. Note I carry my Platypus on the out side back flap, this way I don't have to empty my pack if I want to refill it or check to see how much water I have in it.

GrassyNoel
03-15-2012, 15:36
I removed the lid from my Osprey Aether 60. I'll do a few days of hiking and see if I miss it. I don't think I will. I dislike having to unclip the thing to get into the "meat" of my pack more than I like having the lid. I mean, I can't reach either with it on my back, so there's no great loss. Undoing the cinch is just as easy. I keep a stuff sack at the top of the bag with the things I'd normally put in the lid. I am going to have to get a pack cover for it, though, as the rain would get inside very easily. But if you need a pack cover anyway, getting rid of the lid is no big deal. Plus, my girlfriend was able to strap the lid to the back of her slightly-too-small bag giving her lots of extra room. I'll take a photo of it one of these days.

Mando12
03-15-2012, 19:37
Note I carry my Platypus on the out side back flap, this way I don't have to empty my pack if I want to refill it or check to see how much water I have in it.

I also have an Atmos 65, and love it. I have wondered about putting a bladder between the back screen and the pack. Do you find any downside to putting it out there?

OldFeet
03-16-2012, 09:59
I also have an Atmos 65, and love it. I have wondered about putting a bladder between the back screen and the pack. Do you find any downside to putting it out there?

I've been putting the bladder between the pack and back screen ever since I got my Atmos 65 and haven't had any problems at all. The only possible downside is that you need to get into the pack to take the bladder out to refill it during the day but the few times I've done this have been during a long break when I'd taking the pack off anyway so it's not much of an inconvenience.

dab48eu
03-16-2012, 10:10
I have Osprey Aether packs both 60 and 70 liter. I agree that putting the water in the back pouch would be convenient for refilling but 1 1/2 to 2 liters of water will weigh 3 to 4 pounds. Carrying that much weight closer to your body is more efficient than farther from the center of your body. I try to avoid hanging heavy gear from the back of my pack for the same reason. I presume that is why packs are constructed with the water pouch to the inside.

Mando12
03-16-2012, 10:32
Cool. Next time I go out, I'll try it with the bladder between the pack and the back screen. I like that it will open up some space in the pack.

I am planning on going out at the end of April to section hike Springer to Marion VA. Per the previous post re: the hipbelt buckle, I emailed Osprey customer service yesterday and requested a 'spare' buckle. Last year a friend of mine saw a hipbelt buckle broken in a shelter when it was accidentally stepped on. That would be a bummer.
I'll post when I hear back from Osprey.

Mando12
03-16-2012, 11:15
Just heard from Osprey. They are sending me a new buckle. No cost. I don't care who you are, that is impressive customer service!!