PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Pot Cozy

Phsskipper
03-27-2005, 20:58
I made a cozy today. It came in heavy at 4 oz but, I think that I will be able to actually bake in it if I wanted to take Bisquick with me.

I took an insulated nylon lunch box and cut it down to fit my grease pot. I then coated the interior with aluminum tape and bound it back together with duct tape on the outside.

Looks really ugly but it really works. I placed a rice dish into simmer after just getting it boiling and 20 min later it was too hot to eat for another 15 minutes.

The plus is that my stove, measuring cup, grease pot, wind screen, scrubbing pad, spoon and pot stand all fit inside.

Forrest

SGT Rock
03-27-2005, 21:02
You can get the same thing for lighter by working it. My current system weighs less than one ounce.

Oracle
03-27-2005, 21:16
I love pot cozies. With a bit of reflectix and some ingenuity, one can be made to fit any pot out there, and greatly increase the insulative properties of metal pots. I generally put my pot in my cozy to "simmer" if it is a meal that requres such and leave it in there while I'm eating, keeps it warmer much longer.

neo
03-27-2005, 21:42
i made mine with windshield visor sunshade,they are made of the same silver bubble wrap,and cost 1.00 at the dollar store,you can make quite a few cozies
i also use aluminum flue gas duct tape from the hard ware store.:cool: neo

sierraDoug
09-04-2005, 14:36
I'm about to make my first pot cozy. Do you find the Reflectix ones take extra care in packing... do they rip or have bubbles pop? The other option is using a piece of a closed cell foam ground pad, which sounds tougher.

Let me know your pros and cons on each type. Thanks for the help.

Dances with Mice
09-04-2005, 14:51
i made mine with windshield visor sunshade,they are made of the same silver bubble wrap,and cost 1.00 at the dollar store,you can make quite a few cozies
i also use aluminum flue gas duct tape from the hard ware store.:cool: neoYeah! I made a couple cozies using the same materials and had enough left over to make a "welcome mat", landing pad, whatever, for my hammock - something to stand on directly under the hammock. And there was enough left over to make insulated covers for our crock-pots. With two people working, we use crockpots quite often to cook supper and have 3 different sizes of them. Sometimes large roasts didn't cook evenly. Adding an insulated cover solved that problem. After all that I still have used only about half of the visor.

Big Dawg
09-04-2005, 15:25
Mine is a pouch cozy (like an envelope)......... boil water,, add to ziploc baggie of food,, & slip baggie into pouch for 10-15 min,,,,, no mess, no clean up, small lightweight cozy,,,,,, yea!!!! :clap

Seeker
09-04-2005, 21:16
made one from a piece of blue foam padding and duct tape. weighs about an ounce... also keeps the pot from getting dinged up in my pack, and keeps the loose stuff inside (lighter, alky stove, stand, etc) quieter too...

sierraDoug
09-12-2005, 15:34
Which is better for a cozy... foam or Reflectix?

I've read online instructions for foam cozies saying you have to line them with foil or the foam will stick to the hot pot. Has anyone had that happen?

Does the Reflectix get dinged easily in your pack? Do the bubbles pop much?

Thanks for any opinions on this.

Toolshed
09-12-2005, 23:13
Been using Reflectix for Winter camping (pot Cozies as well as a chunk under my thermarest) since 1994 and have never had any problems. They handle hot pots very well. I would say I get at least 3-4 years out of each on. I just make another only because they start to look dingy, but otherwise performance is still fine.

I also store my pot in it when I pack my gear, so it gets rubbed around and beat up a lot as well.

sierraDoug
09-13-2005, 00:20
Been using Reflectix for Winter camping (pot Cozies as well as a chunk under my thermarest) since 1994 and have never had any problems. They handle hot pots very well. I would say I get at least 3-4 years out of each on. I just make another only because they start to look dingy, but otherwise performance is still fine.

I also store my pot in it when I pack my gear, so it gets rubbed around and beat up a lot as well.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to go hunt me some Reflecix and try it out.

jigsaw
09-13-2005, 06:42
ive been using refletix for my bag cozies for a couple years now they hold up pretty well. add water to ziplock and wait,no more pot to clean up, i love that.a blue pad would probably last longer

hiker5
09-13-2005, 08:07
I'll second neo's $1 car sun visor. I picked one up at a dollar store. I've only made one cozy from it, but it looks like there is enough material to make many more. Mine works quite well, I just don't get out to use it often enough.

frieden
09-13-2005, 09:31
Anyone have a starter pattern to share?

frieden
09-13-2005, 09:36
I crochet, and have started working on some crocheted baskets and bags, made from twine, leather, vines, plastic ribbon, etc. When I get a strong, lightweight pattern worked out, I'll post it for everyone.

flyfisher
09-13-2005, 10:01
Which is better for a cozy... foam or Reflectix?

I've read online instructions for foam cozies saying you have to line them with foil or the foam will stick to the hot pot. Has anyone had that happen?

Does the Reflectix get dinged easily in your pack? Do the bubbles pop much?

Thanks for any opinions on this.
I have used cozies of both kinds for several hundred miles apiece. The foam has never stuck to my pot, except when I have used the pot over twig fires and there is buildup of tar on the outside. The tar gets melted by an alcohol stove fire and is sticky for a few moments. Same stickyness occurs with Reflectivix.

The bubbles work well for many, many miles. Eventually the bubbles deflate and I replace the cozy. However it still works very well long after most of the bubbles have gone more or less flat.

I also use an outer cover of neoprene outside a reflectivix cozy made by AntiGravity Gear. It works great to keep the food steaming hot and then doubles as a great way to store the pot afterward.

This is what I am talking about -
reviews at BackpackGearTest:
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Cooking%20Accessories/AntiGravityGear%20Pot%20Cozy%20Covers/

frieden
09-13-2005, 10:07
Very cool; thanks, flyfisher!

http://www.antigravitygear.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=79

Dances with Mice
09-13-2005, 10:47
Anyone have a starter pattern to share?Lay pot sideways on material, mark top and bottom. Roll pot along length of material one revolution, mark length. Add a half a metric scootch more. You should now have a rectangle to cut. Place pot upright on material. Trace its diameter then cut the resulting circle. Repeat. Wrap rectangle around pot and cut slot for handle if necessary.

I also made a cover of closed cell foam and lined it with silver duct tape, the kind I had leftover from making stoves. Don't know if it helped or not. I attached a bit of velcro on each edge so I could fold it flat. Worked well, I guess, but I preferred the windshield cover material.