PDA

View Full Version : the lightest bug bivy?

RedBeerd
03-15-2012, 13:49
After some research I feel it would be wise to bring some sort of bug netting on my LT thru hike in July. Ive been looking at the MLD bug bivy at 5oz but it's super expensive. Any resources on making your own? I hope to tent mostly, but want protection in the shelters or if I end up sleeping under the stars. Any recommendations?

Juice
03-15-2012, 14:35
I thought about going with the MLD bug bivy but the wait time they have listed on their site worries me more than the price!

Phikes
03-15-2012, 14:48
http://www.antigravitygear.com/equinox-mantis-sleep-net.html

not a full bivy, but pretty light

RedBeerd
03-15-2012, 14:51
I agree, Juice. Although I dont start until July, by the time I have the money and place the order I could be cutting it close with the shipping wait..
Good suggestion, I will look into that as a last resort. I like to toss and turn a lot while sleeping as well as unzipping and zipping my bag as my temperature fluctuates so it looks like it may not working great for me.

lemon b
03-15-2012, 15:07
Don't think you'll need it.

Hawkwind61
03-15-2012, 16:02
Check questoutfitters.com click the mesh link.

RedBeerd
03-15-2012, 18:41
Why do you think I wont need it? Like most things there is support for either side, but you seem confident I wont need it. Ive read otherwise!

Slo-go'en
03-15-2012, 22:09
It's not hard to make a basic bug bivy if you have a sewing machine or know someone who does. You just need a couple yards of no-see-um netting and some rip stop nylon for the bottom.

I made one years ago before they were more commonly available (or I didn't know where to buy one) and sewed it up by hand. I made it for my Long Trail E2E in June and the thing saved my sanity once the black flies came out. Yea, even in July you might be glad to have a bug bivy to hide in.

I had some left over netting, so I made a giant head net, big enough to come down to my waist and eat dinner under!

Edwardo Rodriguez
03-15-2012, 22:14
Look into the six moon design serenity nettent 8oz am taken that plus the gatewood cape

stranger
03-16-2012, 03:52
Not too many people know about these guys

http://ulgear.blogspot.com/p/ultralight-bivy.html

....they basically make a similar bivy to the MLD Superlight for about 65% of the price, plus they will do custom alterations for extremely reasonable prices, the bivy ships in 2 weeks, prices $70-90.

Ask about what 'options' they offer, in particular with the zipper.

In addition to this, Equinox makes something called the Preying Mantis, 3.5 ounces, $35, a pyramid that goes over your head and has a drawcord around your waist, I can vouch for this design as I did the initial product testing for this product in 2001, 500 miles on the AT during June and July, it did great.

Also, Yama Mountain Gear makes light bug shelters, reasonable priced.

RedBeerd
03-16-2012, 06:47
In addition to this, Equinox makes something called the Preying Mantis, 3.5 ounces, $35, a pyramid that goes over your head and has a drawcord around your waist, I can vouch for this design as I did the initial product testing for this product in 2001, 500 miles on the AT during June and July, it did great.

Also, Yama Mountain Gear makes light bug shelters, reasonable priced.

Great suggestions. I like the first bug bivy you listed, but how would this pyramid work for someone like me who tosses and turns a lot while sleeping? Seems to be the one drawback with that style of shelter.

daddytwosticks
03-16-2012, 07:03
Six Moon Designs Meteor Bivy. This one may be a bit too heavy compared to the others mentioned. It has lots of room inside. :)

lemon b
03-16-2012, 07:14
The bug problem is earlier in the year. Even if there are a few black flys around they are not out at night. With mosquitos a headnet, combined with deet or woodsmans fly dope on exposed skin works.
I'd have both of those anyway. Save a few bucks. Have a good hike.

stranger
03-16-2012, 08:37
Great suggestions. I like the first bug bivy you listed, but how would this pyramid work for someone like me who tosses and turns a lot while sleeping? Seems to be the one drawback with that style of shelter.

I'm a stomach sleeper and I turn in my bag, the bag remains in place. You don't have to have the drawcord real tight but if you thrash it might be a problem, so not sure really.