PDA

View Full Version : Powdered eggs

rdw440
03-27-2005, 21:47
Does any one have any experience with powdered eggs?
I like to have eggs in the morning, and carrying fresh eggs is pretty much out of the question. Are they worthy as camp food (taste ok)? Can they be found in regular grocery stores or Wal-Mart, etc.?

hikerjohnd
03-27-2005, 22:09
Although I do not eat eggs by themselves, I understand there is a method of preparation that allows you to carry eggs in your pack for a few days. You may need to do a google search to see how its done, but as I recall it involves boiling the eggs for a minute or two... Check out Ed Garvey's publications - I vaguely remember reading someting from him on the subject...

Lone Wolf
03-27-2005, 22:12
Powdered eggs suck. You most certainly can carry fresh eggs. I've done it many times.

smokymtnsteve
03-27-2005, 22:14
Powdered eggs suck. You most certainly can carry fresh eggs. I've done it many times.

I hiked with a little chicken last spring :cool:

neo
03-28-2005, 00:43
powdered eggs,yuck:cool: neo

Mountain Hippie
03-28-2005, 00:58
Get some powdered eggs and try them. Be sure to by a small container because you will likely throw the rest away......I did.

bulldog49
03-28-2005, 09:59
Mountain House used to have uncooked eggs that were delicious, tasted a lot like real eggs. Now it seems they just sell pre-cooked eggs were you just add boiling water and wait for them to hydrate in the pouch. They are rather gritty.

Doc
03-28-2005, 10:23
While it certainly is not an idea that is original with me, I always leave town with six hardboiled eggs in the shell. I wrap these in socks, t-shirts, etc and eat two for breakfast over the next three days. They keep fine. Usually diners or other breakfast places are glad to boil some up, but I also have simply bought six and boiled my own prior to leaving town. They make a great change from the usual breakfast fare on the trail.

Doc

c63
03-28-2005, 17:19
There not too bad if you add something to them, I tried them with Taco Bell fire border sauce and salt in the packets rolled in a tortillia and they wern't bad. I have been testing a bunch of food the last week and I will be eating powdered eggs on the trail atleast once or twice a week.

stumpy
03-28-2005, 21:17
Where can you get them? I would like to try them:confused:

rdw440
03-28-2005, 22:11
There not too bad if you add something to them, I tried them with Taco Bell fire border sauce and salt in the packets rolled in a tortillia and they wern't bad. I have been testing a bunch of food the last week and I will be eating powdered eggs on the trail atleast once or twice a week.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Even though the concensus is that powdered eggs are yucky, I would still like to try them myself. I don't have any place near me that carries freeze dried foods (Mountain House, Richmoor, etc.), and I haven't seen them in Super Wal-Mart.

bulldog49
03-29-2005, 10:49
You can order from Mountain House online.

http://www.mountainhouse.com/

The Gnome
03-29-2005, 12:11
I've used powered eggs several times on section hikes. One small 1/2Ib tub from my local Safeway made at least six breakfasts. My technique is to partially fry bacon at home and mix some spices/cheese with the egg powder when dividing it into daily portions, sealing these in a plastic container.
In the morning, I pop the bacon in the pan to finish it off (it is not necessary to simmer the bacon), remove it and cook the eggs in the fat produced.

Thomas' English muffins go down well with this breakfast. A pack of six last about three days.

But I agree: fresh eggs taste a lot better.

Footslogger
03-29-2005, 12:22
Another option is to hardboil some in town and then carry them with you in your cook pot. They'll generally keep for several days and in my opinion, they taste a lot better hardboiled than the powdered ones.

'Slogger
AT 2003

bogey
03-29-2005, 14:11
As my mother likes to point out, on the farm, they didn't always get all the eggs the day they were laid. sometimes they were a couple days old, AND they didn't cook them immediately in any case.

I feel a little better knowing that you can now get pasteurized eggs, and I feel better carrying them for a while.

instant=blech!

julieartz
03-31-2005, 16:03
Try looking in the baking section...The powdered eggs are usually by the powdered milk. I'd be surprised if Super Wal-Mart didn't have them because my dinky little local shop carries them ;)

I'd also vote for hard-boiled eggs. I'm using the powdered ones to add protein to other things, not as a meal by themselves because I found the flavor and texture to be a bit off. Oh, and my sister and I burned some powdered eggs one time on the trail--Jeez. Our pot never did recover from that one--it smelled like charcoaled eggs the rest of the trip.

lumpy
03-31-2005, 16:05
Eggs, ah yes. What I do is buy fresh eggs at the store, crack them into a nalgene bottle, add some S&P then shake em up. They usually last 2 days or so and I make omelettes or scrambled eggs with added fixin's. You can also use Liquid Egg Beaters in a nalgene bottle or even a doubled up zip-loc baggie. Hard boiled eggs are awesome and a great high protein snack. Pickled Hard Boiled eggs are really good too but are harder to find. Just a thought.

weary
03-31-2005, 16:40
King Arthur Flour, the Vermont company that specializes in bread flours, and baking gear, sells half pound bags of dried eggs for $4.25.

You can find them at:

http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/landing.jsp?go=DetailDefault&ref=pub1&id=3079

If the link won't load, just do a google search on King Arthur flour. a link to the company's catalogue pops right up.

Weary

stumpy
03-31-2005, 17:26
Thanks for the help. I will try some powdered eggs on my next trip. The eggs in a nalgene bottle also intrests me, but it is messy to clean up after cooking real eggs.

plodder
03-31-2005, 18:25
Must be a Maine thing. King Arthur rules. Me-I like Bacos, or need to be inhale hungry. (most of the time!)

lumpy
03-31-2005, 21:12
Thanks for the help. I will try some powdered eggs on my next trip. The eggs in a nalgene bottle also intrests me, but it is messy to clean up after cooking real eggs.
Messy, not really. I use a 6" non-stick omelet pan with a little squeeze margarine, cook the omelet and eat it right out of the pan then clean any scraps with a piece of bread and voila, clean pan. Of course I only do this on my first two or three days after re-supply. I also use a 1.5 liter titanium pot with pot handle and use the non-stick pan for the lid. I admit the pan is a bit heavy at 14 oz but it pays for itself with awesome sauteed dinners and of course breakfasts. I really enjoy cooking so I put up with the extra weight. As far as using a nalgene bottle, sometimes I use an empty plastic soda bottle and discard it when re-supplying. I have used a nalgene bottle but I have to make sure that it's properly sanitized before I use it for H2O or something else.

stumpy
04-01-2005, 00:31
I never really thought about squeeze butter! We have made many breakfast with eggs, but it is usually on a one or two night hike and we just cook them in some of the left over drippings from the BACON! A very healthy trail breakfast to say the least;)

ffstenger
04-01-2005, 04:49
I take powdered eggs on every section hike. I order a package from Campmor in the food section, spoon some into a ziplock bag, sprinkle in some salt and pepper, and add some (real) bacon bits {usually found in a plastic pouch near the Bacos} and when I want some for breakfast I just add some water in the zip lock bag untill its well mixed, put some squeez butter in my pot, poor it in and cook until done. You can scramble 'em or make an omelet, I like to add cheeze too..... I know I'm wiered, but "EYOB" (eat your own breakfast) Showme

SGT Rock
04-01-2005, 04:50
Carry two real eggs, some cheddar cheese, a fresh jalapeņo pepper, a small pack of spam, and some Taco Bell fire sauce and you can make a fiesta omelet on the trail. You just want to use a low flame or risk burning it.

generoll
04-01-2005, 08:29
I hesitate to mention this because I never tried it myself, but back in my sailing days it seems to me that one of the methods for preserving fresh eggs was to paint the shell with varnish or shellac. I suppose that nail polish would also work. The idea was that an eggshell is porous to air and by cutting out the air the egg will last longer. I'd test this one out at home before I took a chance on rotten eggs on the trail, but you might want to give it a go.

definitely a cool weather process in any case.

ideas9
01-01-2009, 13:09
I work at a hospital where they cook powdered eggs in the cafeteria every morning on a hot griddle. They taste wonderful, and I actually prefer them to fresh eggs. So I think the secret probably lies in the way you cook them.

Tinker
01-01-2009, 13:43
I hesitate to mention this because I never tried it myself, but back in my sailing days it seems to me that one of the methods for preserving fresh eggs was to paint the shell with varnish or shellac. I suppose that nail polish would also work. The idea was that an eggshell is porous to air and by cutting out the air the egg will last longer. I'd test this one out at home before I took a chance on rotten eggs on the trail, but you might want to give it a go.

Since egg shells are porous, it might not be a good idea to put something poisonous on the outside. Some might get inside. Maybe dipping them in some canning wax would work as well.

Compass
01-01-2009, 13:47
[quote=ffstenger;97476]I take powdered eggs on every section hike. I order a package from Campmor in the food section, spoon some into a ziplock bag, sprinkle in some salt and pepper, and add some (real) bacon bits {usually found in a plastic pouch near the Bacos} and when I want some for breakfast I just add some water in the zip lock bag untill its well mixed,..........

Or just leave it in the bag and place the sealed bag in your pot of boiling water for hot cocoa or coffee for 4-5 minutes once you remove the bag you can make your beverage and eat the eggs out of the bag.

By themselves powdered eggs are OK but need some other flavors to be enjoyable.

Here is a link for bulk supply.
https://beprepared.com/search.asp?t=ss&ss=dried+eggs&image1.x=11&image1.y=5

Tipi Walter
01-01-2009, 14:07
What's wrong with carrying fresh eggs? On a recent 10 day trip I carried a dozen raw eggs in a plastic Walmart egg-container. Worked great and they didn't go bad even in the summer.

2Questions
01-01-2009, 17:34
I've tried these eggs from this place with good success. Great with stuff added to them. ham cubes, mashed potato flakes, peppers, etc.

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/driedmilkandeggs.aspx

brooklynkayak
01-01-2009, 17:35
By themselves powdered eggs are OK but need some other flavors to be enjoyable.

I agree, they aren't so good for plain scrambled eggs as they don't taste quite the same, but add cheese, onions, peppers, ... and they are OK.

I use powdered eggs a lot for pancakes, omelet and quiche variations, stir fry rice, egg drop soup, pasta dishes, mousse, sauces, muffins, cakes, frittatas, ...

I would think powdered eggs would be a great addition to the ever popular ramen noodles as ramen alone isn't very nutritious. I don't carry ramen so I haven't tried it.

If you have to have plain eggs for breakfast, you probably should bring some fresh eggs along.

russb
01-01-2009, 18:26
I would think powdered eggs would be a great addition to the ever popular ramen noodles as ramen alone isn't very nutritious. I don't carry ramen so I haven't tried it.

Should be easy to make Ramen Carbonara

Ramen noodles
powdered eggs
bacon bits
olive oil
parmesan cheese

Cook Ramen without season packet. Mix powdered egg with water, bacon bits, olive oil. Add egg mixture to ramen and toss (pasta heat should cook the eggs into a sauce). Add parmesan cheese.

Sly
01-01-2009, 18:31
Powdered eggs suck..

Fart food, but if yu add butter they're not bad.

brooklynkayak
01-01-2009, 19:07
Should be easy to make Ramen Carbonara

Ramen noodles
powdered eggs
bacon bits
olive oil
parmesan cheese

Cook Ramen without season packet. Mix powdered egg with water, bacon bits, olive oil. Add egg mixture to ramen and toss (pasta heat should cook the eggs into a sauce). Add parmesan cheese.

Mmm. Sounds good, but angel hair pasta or other dense pasta would pack smaller. Ramen is mostly air in the pack.

russb
01-01-2009, 19:47
Mmm. Sounds good, but angel hair pasta or other dense pasta would pack smaller. Ramen is mostly air in the pack.

Oh, I most definitely agree and that's what I do! I was simply suggesting an addition to the add eggs to the ramen idea.

Sometimes I think it is fun to look at a backpackers (or paddlers) food bags and figure out different dishes I can make out of the ingredients.

Wise Old Owl
01-02-2009, 00:12
I don't use powdered eggs if I can help it, they are used in other dry mixes as a supplement to other foods. Mountain House & REI still carry it. Large fresh or boiled eggs are transported best in a Crystal Lite Container! it really is the right size for a few eggs. If they are fresh they do not require refrigeration.

Seeker
01-02-2009, 08:49

Vaseline or Olive Oil will seal them.

Deadeye
01-02-2009, 11:44
Fresh eggs will last several days just fine in their natural container.

I carry fresh eggs, and crack a few into a freezer bag, squish them up, add cheese, salt & pepper, bac-o's (or whatever soy substitute I have for ham or bacon, or real ham, bacon or spam, hot sauce, etc.), or just plain, and drop the freezer bag into boiling water. In a few minutes, you have scrambled eggs or an omelet, depending on what you added, and how fancy you want to dine that day.

Clean-up's a breeze - no messy egg pan, just the baggie.

Worldwide
01-02-2009, 12:23
I would sooner carry a chicken that is laying eggs than carry powdered eggs (yuk)

Doctari
01-02-2009, 13:31
Like Lumpy I break the eggs into a bottle, but I don't scramble them, you can then (very carefully) pour out each egg as needed.

I have never done this for more than a 3 day trip mostly cause I dont carry the fry pan on longer trips, but even AM on day 3 the egg that was left was unbroken & tasty. I have often thought about adding a little salt as I break them into the bottle, but never did it, maybe someday I will, maybe not.

Sorry, no personal experience with powdered eggs.

buckwheat
01-02-2009, 14:18
I would sooner carry a chicken that is laying eggs than carry powdered eggs (yuk)

I would sooner roast that chicken over an open flame than hike with it.

Mmmmmmm. That's goooooooood cracker!

Bucky Katt
01-02-2009, 15:36
Eggs, ah yes. What I do is buy fresh eggs at the store, crack them into a nalgene bottle, add some S&P then shake em up. They usually last 2 days or so and I make omelettes or scrambled eggs with added fixin's. You can also use Liquid Egg Beaters in a nalgene bottle or even a doubled up zip-loc baggie. Hard boiled eggs are awesome and a great high protein snack. Pickled Hard Boiled eggs are really good too but are harder to find. Just a thought.

Just to confirm this -- you can use fresh eggs, crack them, and store them for a few days w/o them going bad or making you sick? Is this just in the winter time when the temps are fairly low?

Are the Liquid Egg Beaters any good...I thought they too had to be refrigerated?

I'd love to add eggs to ramen or make omlets etc on the trail, but I know myself well enough to know that if I try to carry fresh, uncracked eggs in those little egg containers, I'm gonna end up with egg in my food bag...lol. Also, I've tried the dehydrated ones--I bout threw up. I coudln't even get the DOG to eat them!!!! Now thats bad!

Wise Old Owl
01-02-2009, 17:08
Bucky Katt - the answer is 2-3 Weeks, for fresh farm eggs (just laid)

See previous thread

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36442&highlight=storing+egg

Oh and Buckwheat & Worldwide, when indians walk the badlands of mexico today on some serious hiking they carry by the feet live chickens!

littlelaurel59
01-07-2009, 12:52
Powdered eggs are not great, but neither are instant oatmeal, granola bars, dehydrated beans, canned chicken, and most of the rest of the foods I eat when backpacking.

I have used them to make freezer bag scrambled eggs by adding dehydrated onion and green pepper, hot sauce or salsa, cheese, and bacon bits. The protein stays with me longer than the simple carbs of instant oatmeal or grits.

Hike your own hike- Eat your own food:)

superman
01-07-2009, 14:27
The powdered eggs they gave us in the Army in 1965 were green. They've come a long way...they're fairly edible now but I still don't like them. In 66 and 67 they had a nasty recumbined milk that was worse than drinking chalk. Just before TET of 68 they developed a new process to recombine the milk. It tasted great...that was when I found out I was lactose intolerent. It's all about attitude...if you don't like the food then you expectations are too high. Every meal is a banquet.:)

YoungMoose
02-05-2009, 19:06
never eat powdered eggs or powdered milk

skinewmexico
02-05-2009, 19:23
It's all calories.

Jim Adams
02-05-2009, 20:18
Usually powdered eggs suck unless you season the hell out of them HOWEVER if you carry a loaf of bread with you they make GREAT french toast!

geek

sarbar
02-06-2009, 13:47
Ova Eggs (http://www.packitgourmet.com/Ova-Easy-Egg-Mix-p285.html).

I have never found an egg powder that looked/smelled and tasted like real eggs before this one. And they are nothing but eggs as well.

Tinker
02-06-2009, 14:12

I completely agree.:-?
With Lone Wolf? :eek:
:D

brooklynkayak
02-10-2009, 12:35
Combine powdered eggs with biscuit mix(flour, baking powder, oil,...) and your favorite flavorings to make steamed protein rich pastries.
Backpack steaming was mentioned by Sarbar and others in previous food posts.

My favorites that can be made muffin or cake style:
ChocolateWalnut - cocoa powder, sugar, walnuts
Pizza Flavored - tomato powder or paste, cheese(dried or fresh), oregano
Banana Nut - Bananas(dried or fresh), sugar, nuts