PDA

View Full Version : Be careful out there... Ticks

McPick
03-15-2012, 23:27
Beautiful weather. Mostly like spring all winter in northern Missouri. Took a fabulous day-long hike in the hills, last weekend... So early in the season.

I got nailed by a tick.

Never saw one on the AT... But many did and more than several got knocked off the trail. Never saw one on the CT... Never saw one on the SHT. Nailed in my own back yard in the beginning of March.

Luckily I found it before it got too deep. A welt and an itch, but no other symptoms, so far...

Please be extra cautious out there hikers. Check and double-check.

YohonPetro
03-16-2012, 07:04
http://www.aldf.com/usmap.shtml

Ticks suck! (After they bite)

The first half of the Trail has a very low frequency of Lymes, it's the northeast that is worrisome to me.

1azarus
03-16-2012, 08:02
I just did an overnight on the metabasset trail in CT, walked about 100 feet through some low brush to stealth camp, and looked down to see my pants covered with ticks. never seen anything like it. did my best to get rid of the buggers, but missed one, which must have spent the night on my side. Since I was near home it was easy to get my doctor to prescribe a single dose of antibiotic, which is supposed to work within 72 hours of exposure. I guess/fear that the mild winter up here is going to mean a record tick season -- at least based upon my shoddy one-time research experience! I'll be in PA next week, and will definitely be spraying everything i wear or carry with permethrin!

coach lou
03-16-2012, 08:35
Lions, and Tigers and Bears...oh my! No sweat...but, Ticks and fleas skeve the bejesus out of me. I found one crawling on my trousers, last week of January. A july trip to SNP, I was covered. Every three steps...bent and swipe 4 or 5 off...3 steps...swipe!

Sarcasm the elf
03-16-2012, 08:45
Yup, pulled five off my cloths over the weekend, easily 20+ off of my dogs since Saturday.

Ticks are something you just get used to when you spend your weekends bushwacking around Connecticut.

I do worry that this is going to be a horrible year tick-wise, the mild winter has allowed them to stay active and hasn't killed many of them off. This is the first year I can recall where I've had to regularly check myself and the dogs for ticks in january and february, and the early spring seems to be causing an even bigger population boom.

kidchill
03-16-2012, 14:21
I concur! Saw one of these buggers crawling across my pant leg 2 weeks ago in central PA...Move to DEFCON 1!!!

Half Note
03-16-2012, 14:32
Ah ticks, the only thing I'm worried about on the trail. Anyone recommend a protection from them that works best?

Rasty
03-16-2012, 14:41
Ah ticks, the only thing I'm worried about on the trail. Anyone recommend a protection from them that works best?

Permithrin. Spray on fabric and let it dry before wearing. Deadly to cats so be careful.

Edwardo Rodriguez
03-16-2012, 15:00
OK this is one thing I have not thought about, was thinking about getting the http://www.rei.com/product/810046/exofficio-bugsaway-ziwa-convertible-pants-mens-30-inseam for my pants and their http://www.rei.com/product/810056/exofficio-bugsaway-halo-check-shirt-mens for my shirt am hoping that is will keep those ticks off

Rasty
03-16-2012, 15:16
OK this is one thing I have not thought about, was thinking about getting the http://www.rei.com/product/810046/exofficio-bugsaway-ziwa-convertible-pants-mens-30-inseam for my pants and their http://www.rei.com/product/810056/exofficio-bugsaway-halo-check-shirt-mens for my shirt am hoping that is will keep those ticks off

A $14 bottle of the spray on will do about Ten garments. You can treat the cloths you already have. I think it lasts about 8 to 10 washes.

1azarus
03-16-2012, 15:17

might just as well buy the permethrin yourself and treat everything at the same time, including socks, trail runners, back pack, hat, gaiters if you wear them, your hammock if you use one, your back pack and your wind shirt if you wear one. The pretreated clothing looses its treatment with washing pretty much the same as the stuff you spray yourself, so you need to renew it, anyway. i just ordered "Sawyer Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent Trigger Spray, 24-Ounce" from Amazon. Well, actually... two of them!

Creek Dancer
03-16-2012, 16:27
A $14 bottle of the spray on will do about Ten garments. You can treat the cloths you already have. I think it lasts about 8 to 10 washes.

That sounds about right. Pay special attention to your pantleg cuffs and waistband, both outside and inside, because those suckers will sneak right under. I even spray my boots and socks. Can you tell I really hate ticks? :confused: So far over the years, I have only had maybe 2 or 3 attach themselves to my person.

pdcolelli42
03-16-2012, 16:47
Growing up I've had ticks attach to me nearly every year. Fortunately I guess... they were those ones with the white spot which I think are not the lymes carrying ones. Everyone seems to get so stirred up over getting ticks. Why? Am I wrong to say that I wont worry till I start noticing actual lymes symptoms? I did go ahead and get a scrip for doxycillin though for my thru.

Derek81pci
03-16-2012, 17:57
Don't buy those pants... way overpriced. Get a bottle of permethrin, and google a video on how to "blouse" your boots.

ambroseya
03-16-2012, 18:02
When you get the shirts, the tag specifies it's only good a certain number of washes. Get the spray and you can get the clothes you actually want. (I do like my one shirt I have though, because it's a nice shirt... but it's beyond those washes now.

coach lou
03-16-2012, 18:09
Don't buy those pants... way overpriced. Get a bottle of permethrin, and google a video on how to "blouse" your boots.

I have never thought to ask my nephew...do you still have that green elastic rope with hooks, to blouse your utility trousers, or is there something new?

Half Note
03-16-2012, 18:29
Permithrin. Spray on fabric and let it dry before wearing. Deadly to cats so be careful.

Awesome, thanks! I don't like cats either so sounds like a winner to me.

cabbagefarts
03-16-2012, 21:17
I agree. Here in KY, the ticks are already out and about.
So are the cottonmouths AKA water mocassins, just saw some today.
Beware!

Derek81pci
03-18-2012, 14:55
I have never thought to ask my nephew...do you still have that green elastic rope with hooks, to blouse your utility trousers, or is there something new?

They are called "boot bands". You can get them at any military surplus store. I get mine on base for like $0.30 a pair. Can't be much more than that online.

Derek81pci
03-18-2012, 14:56
Oh, and the velcro ones suck. Stick to the old-school elastic bands with the hooks.

leaftye
03-18-2012, 18:10
I was covered in them last week on the PCT. I was walking an overgrown section, and for a few miles I would get ticks on me every time I brushed some brush. Often I'd get 2-3 each time. I was flicking ticks off my pants and shirt the whole time. Somehow I didn't get a single bite, and I hadn't even treated my clothing with permithrin, although I tucked my pants into my socks after the first hour.

Theosus
03-19-2012, 06:52

Best response ever. Love it!
My daughter came home from grandma one day with a tick stuck on her throat area. Nasty. I just pulled it off and wiped her with alcohol. I know they could carry disease but is that an automatic "oh no I have to take drug X", or do you wait for some sort of real symptoms to appear?
I usually mix my own permethrin from concentrate from the farm supply store. Its 30$ for a little bottle but I treat the outside of the house (ants used to love to come invade our cabinets in august) and around the garden (evidently it's deadly to rabitts too, serves him right for eating my peppers). That bottle lasted two years.

Typingsux
03-19-2012, 12:11
The tons of ticks pretty much ended my geocaching while hiking. Any trip into the bush here on LI and you're brushing off one or more ticks.
I did have a bite last year since I missed one on a weekend camp. Tested and no exposure thankfully.
It's going to be a rough year since it was such a warm winter.

timmy_toes
03-19-2012, 13:59
Warm weather will bring lots of ticks, hungrier bears, and drier rivers. Not good for hikers

Bear Cables
03-19-2012, 18:26

Make a mixture of sulfa powder (found at drugstores) and baby powder in equal parts. Put your socks, liners and undies in a ziplock with a good coating of the mixture before wearing. I put my socks and undies including my sports bra inthe bag overnight to dust them again. You can alos carry the powder in a travel size baby powder container and dust as needed.Keep these items dusted with the mixture. Works for ticks and chiggers.

quilteresq
03-20-2012, 02:46

It was so WRONG of me to laugh when I read that! My daughter has a cat, but I'm allergic - and yet, the cat is in my house. AT any rate, time to go fetch the permethryn.