PDA

View Full Version : Tarp space

schwenkler
03-27-2005, 23:27
I've looked around a bit and can't find a good answer to this question, so I'll open it to discussion here. A 6x8 tarp is usually recommended for a solo backpacker, and an 8x10 for a pair. The 8x10 weighs almost twice as much, but obviously gives you more room.

So just how BIG are these tarps? If you set them up in the proper configuration, how much space do you have? Obviously you can pitch a tarp high and get more space, but the tarp counts most when it's stormy and raining and you have to pitch it low. Can you get enough space, weather protection, and pitching options from a 6x8 tarp?

And remember, a picture is worth a thousand words.

MedicineMan
03-27-2005, 23:49
I recall excellent pics of tarps deployed there, even a poncho that doubles as a tarp giving you 2 for the price of one.

neo
03-28-2005, 00:41
I've looked around a bit and can't find a good answer to this question, so I'll open it to discussion here. A 6x8 tarp is usually recommended for a solo backpacker, and an 8x10 for a pair. The 8x10 weighs almost twice as much, but obviously gives you more room.

So just how BIG are these tarps? If you set them up in the proper configuration, how much space do you have? Obviously you can pitch a tarp high and get more space, but the tarp counts most when it's stormy and raining and you have to pitch it low. Can you get enough space, weather protection, and pitching options from a 6x8 tarp?

my favorite tarp wieghs 10 oz,more like a tent fly,check out dancing light
gear,look for the tacoma solo 75.00 you are protected on 3 sides,front opening has a beak :cool: neo

Nearly Normal
03-28-2005, 02:24
Look at Granite Gear's new Tarp.
pete

Chip
03-28-2005, 09:20
When not using a tent I will use my Crazy Creek B.A.Tarp - Lite (#2570). Made of 70D coated ripstop nylon, all seams are taped. 10' wide X 12' long. weighs 32 oz. As you know there are several ways to set-up a tarp. For rain I will set up an "A" frame style of tarp/shelter which is down to the ground to keep rain and wind out. Also can drop one end down to make a "cave style" set up if needed.
Happy Trails,
Chip :)

Oracle
03-28-2005, 10:06
Neo, where are you getting the Tacoma Solo for $75.00? It's listed on the Dancing Light webpage for over $200.

schwenkler
03-28-2005, 12:46
Neo, where are you getting the Tacoma Solo for $75.00? It's listed on the Dancing Light webpage for over $200. The tarp is 75. The shelters with netting and floors are over 200.

Thanks for the comments so far, and while brand suggestions are helpful, I'm also looking for your personal experience with tarp sizes and how much room & protection you have inside them in a low pitch. If it helps, I'm probably going for an Oware tarp.

neo
03-28-2005, 13:23
Neo, where are you getting the Tacoma Solo for $75.00? It's listed on the Dancing Light webpage for over $200.i have a tacoma solo with netting and floor,only used twice,will sell
for $120.00, it wieghs 22oz,i use my hennesey hammock now.:cool: neo

SGT Rock
03-28-2005, 13:41
I saw a Oware 8x10 and I thought it had plenty of room for two people. I have stayed in a poncho tarp during a heavy rainstorm and found it adequate, but I think I would not want to stay in something that small regularly. The HH tarp I use gives more room than that.

Doctari
03-28-2005, 17:36

What I did to see if I liked the tarp idea, and to see for myself what kind of room I would have:

Go to BigLots (or local HDW store) & get one or 2 of those blue tarps, they come in those standard sizes or you could cut one to size.

Check out the pics mentioned above for set up Ideas. I think Sgt Rock has some on his site too. Then go to the back yard, or wherever & set it up a few times each configuration. At about $20.00 for 2 tarps from BigLots, you won't be out that much, and it's good to practice with something you would have a hard time hurting :sun

I can e-mail you a thing for setting up a tarp, it don't translate well here to the forums.

Doctari
03-28-2005, 17:41
BTW: The blue tarps are heavy, probably too heavy for anything but practice or a 2 day short trip.

Doctari.

mingo
03-28-2005, 17:50
personally, i've always found 5X8 tarps to be a little small. to stay dry, you really need to couple a 5X8 tarp with some sort of ultralight bivy to take care of the splash. and if you carry a bivy that weighs, say 8 oz. at the lightest, then you might as well carry a bigger tarp and leave the bivy at home. an 8X10 tarp is a little more room than a solo hiker needs. but it offers plenty of protection in a rainstorm, and it's probably the optimum size if you're going with just a straight tarp setup and not with one of the special-made tarps like the golite lair or integral designs shelters, etc.

mingo

peter_pan
03-28-2005, 18:04
If you want a tarp between 5x8 and 8x10 checkout this tarp, http://216.83.168.206/index_files/Products%20List_files/8x8%20SilNyl%20Tarp.htm

This tarp was designed for the hammocker but has good overall function as a traditional flat tarp, as well. But then I'm biased.

Pan

Doctari
03-28-2005, 18:08
My homemade tarp is 9' x 9' plenty of space for me & way more gear than I should have been carrying.
Area is 81 square feet. Set up as a flying wedge, I believe the floor space was around 40 Square ft. or the space of a 5' x 8' tarp laid flat on the ground. not all of that space is usable, but probably 90% will at least cover your gear.

My tarp is now retired, I still miss it, will go to a UL tarp some day, Homemade one weighs (with stakes & rope) 4 + lbs.

Doctari.

Oracle
03-28-2005, 18:10
i have a tacoma solo with netting and floor,only used twice,will sell
for $120.00, it wieghs 22oz,i use my hennesey hammock now.:cool: neo
I appreciate it, I'm still looking at tarps, designs, how to use them, and figuring out what I want out of my shelter (I'm not entirely sure that I need a floor), so I'll let you know.

saimyoji
03-28-2005, 18:16
tarp question (remember I'm a rel. newb): You set up the tarp in the rain, the ground is wet. Do you have a ground sheet that is covered by the tarp? Do you just hunker down on the wet ground? Does a tarp imply a ground component that maintains a dry floor?

Sorry for the total dumbass questions.

schwenkler
03-28-2005, 18:32
Yes, a tarp implies having a separate ground cloth as well.

I'm think 8x8 or 9x9 may be a good size... Pan, it says that tarp has 10 tie-outs, is that 8 around the edge and 2 lifters?

SGT Rock
03-28-2005, 19:07
Hey Peter Pan, have you seen Youngblood's hammock tarp ictures. You can't get much more coverage for a hammock than that.

peter_pan
03-28-2005, 19:57
Rock,

Youngblood has a cool Hammock tarp tent....a little much, but definately well thought out.

Pan

SGT Rock
03-28-2005, 21:04
I don't disagree at all. I thought it was pretty bombproof for a hammock shelter.

Doctari
03-28-2005, 22:05
tarp question (remember I'm a rel. newb): You set up the tarp in the rain, the ground is wet. Do you have a ground sheet that is covered by the tarp? Do you just hunker down on the wet ground? Does a tarp imply a ground component that maintains a dry floor?

Sorry for the total dumbass questions.

First off siamyoji, They ain't no dumbass questions here at whiteblaze, so ask away. :clap Many questions have already been answered, but if you can't find it, , , , , :D

As to setting up a tarp, (in rain?) without hammock: Find campsite, take tarp out of convienient place in/on your pack (preferably stowed in such a way all else stays dry). Set up tarp in configuration you prefer (I like the "Flying wedge") Get under tarp, lay out ground cover while staying nice & dry :)

My ground cover is 3' x 8' coated nylon. Doubles as a groundcover in a (usually very dirty) shelter. I have the top well marked, the other side gets dirty, I stay clean.

Alligator
03-28-2005, 22:56
I use an 8X10 tarp and it is plenty for one hiker. A 9X9 would probably be just as well. It will do for two, but you may have gear sticking out in some places, only tried it once. I don't recommend anything smaller unless you use a bivy or are short. A 6X8 is too small IMO. I personally prefer the tepee set up with my hiking pole as support, then guy out the backside as there is a little sag. I don't like the flying diamond setup with the rectangular tarp. I know lots of folks prefer it, but I don't feel as though I have as much floor space protected from rain splash. I use 4 mil plastic as a ground cloth, cut to be somewhere around 30"X72". My 8x10 weighs 13 oz, plus an ounce for 50' of triptease line. I plan on buying six titanium stakes soon at about 1.6 oz for the stakes? I have never weighed the plastic ground cloth though.

Alligator
03-28-2005, 22:59
My ground cover is 3' x 8' coated nylon. Doubles as a groundcover in a (usually very dirty) shelter. I have the top well marked, the other side gets dirty, I stay clean.
Marking one side is a really good idea:datz .

Rain Man
03-29-2005, 11:41
... and if you carry a bivy that weighs, say 8 oz. at the lightest, then you might as well carry a bigger tarp and leave the bivy at home. ...

Mingo,

I've been considering getting a bivy and tarp, so you raised a question for me.

Wouldn't a bivy both add warmth to a sleeping bag (thus allowing you to carry a lighter bag) and be useful for cowboy camping and in shelters where rain splash and snow blow come in on lots of sleeping bags?

I'm still learning!

Rain:sunMan

mingo
03-29-2005, 11:52
[QUOTE=Rain Man]Mingo,

I've been considering getting a bivy and tarp, so you raised a question for me.

Wouldn't a bivy both add warmth to a sleeping bag (thus allowing you to carry a lighter bag) and be useful for cowboy camping and in shelters where rain splash and snow blow come in on lots of sleeping bags?

I'm still learning!

Rain:sunMan

indeed, rainman, the bivy adds versatility to your backpacking ways, which is one of its chief advantages.