PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Ideas For Stoveless Meals

Phoenix7
03-16-2012, 13:12
Thinking about taking a pepperoni stick, maybe kielbasa, saltines, pita bread, fruit cans for starters and welcome any ideas.
~Dave

Feral Bill
03-16-2012, 13:23
Thinking about taking a pepperoni stick, maybe kielbasa, saltines, pita bread, fruit cans for starters and welcome any ideas.
~Dave
I hear cheese keeps well. :) Dry fruit is good, as is any candy that won't melt at expected temperature. Ciabatta bread and bagles, really any dense bread works. Also peanut butter. Maybe granola for breakfast, with a little dried milk. Hmm, I'm getting hungry.

Juice
03-16-2012, 13:25
Bagels, cheeses, peanut butter, granola, etc.

Farr Away
03-16-2012, 13:51
I wouldn't take canned fruit, but dried fruit would be good.

Hummus mix is really good, and mixes with cold water.
Couscous will fluff up in cold water too.
Tuna, chicken, salmon, shrimp, etc. come in pouches.
Tortillas &/or pitas.
The denser cold cereals.
Dry milk, instant breakfast mix, tea bags
Peanut butter, honey, nutella, jam (keeps quite a while at room temperature - NOT sugar free kind)
Granola bars, breakfast bars, power bars, etc.
Fig newtons and other dense cookies

Rocket Jones
03-16-2012, 14:21
Fresh fruit. Avocados. Olives.

royalusa
03-16-2012, 14:25
A typical cookless day for us might be:

Breakfast - 3/4 cup old fashioned oats w/ nuts and dried fruit
Lunch - burrito with peanut butter (or cheddar cheese & summer sausage, weather permitting)
Snacks - fig newtons, lance crackers, fritos, nuts/dried fruit or more oats/nuts/fruit mixture
Dinner - Ramon or Loaded Baked mashed potatoes (sometimes in a burrito shell) or couscous (this you need to soak for about 15 minutes) or stuffing and cookies

Phoenix7
03-16-2012, 14:46
Hmm, stoveless doesn't sound so bad! I will look for all of these as well as dried fruit. Thank you.

~Dave

double d
03-16-2012, 14:58
I like to go stoveless as well, lots of good ideas, look at tortillas-flat bread, peanut butter, m&ms with anything (gorp), I like balance bars, but others grow tired of them quickly, lots of ideas, shop around at a large grocery store to get an idea. But not cleaning and carrying a pot, stove and fuel has saved me a lot of weight and time in cleaning.

HiKen2011
03-16-2012, 15:32
~Dave

Talk to Garlic, he's been stoveless for yrs. and he is a great guy! More than willing to help.

garlic08
03-16-2012, 18:53
It's all been covered above already. Mashed potatoes and Ramen are the things normally cooked that work OK cold. Just take more of what you eat for lunch and snacks. It helps if you forget the idea of set mealtimes. Just eat when you're not hiking. My hiking improved since I first tried stoveless on the PCT in '04. I have not carried a stove since. It's not so much the weight because you do carry a little more water weight in food, but it's all about ease and simplicity and not messing around transporting and buying fuel in towns, and, of course, spending more time hiking. It's pretty easy to try bouncing your cook kit up the trail for a few hundred miles and see for yourself. If it doesn't work for you, you'll have your stove back in a couple of weeks. Here's my AT journal page about it: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=213035 and the diet is on the next page.

perrymk
03-16-2012, 19:41
I'm surprised no one has mentioned nuts. Good protein and fat for a calorie dense food.

My favorite snack/meal bar are Bibe Bars. Google them. They use ingredients found in the Bible. Even if you don't read the Bible, you will probably enjoy this fairly calorie dense all natural treat.

garlic08
03-16-2012, 21:37
Nuts were mentioned in post #6. It's pretty easy to find cashews and walnuts in most AT trail towns.

rocketsocks
03-16-2012, 21:44
My wife just bought some almonds that are toasted with "CoCo",pretty good.

rocketsocks
03-16-2012, 22:15
My wife just bought some almonds that are toasted with "CoCoa",pretty good.
Sorry the brand was "Emerald" in a green container.

Not Sunshine
03-16-2012, 22:36
those individual string cheese sticks hold up well for days. but i have been known to eat yogurt 6 months past it's sell by date. good luck. for me, personally, a warm meal at the end of the day makes the hike worthwhile, so i can't go stoveless...but as they say: hike your own hike. have fun! i love pepperoni (pre sliced) with string cheese on tortilla. yum yum. great lunch. super salty, too.

Juice
03-16-2012, 22:46
those individual string cheese sticks hold up well for days. but i have been known to eat yogurt 6 months past it's sell by date. good luck. for me, personally, a warm meal at the end of the day makes the hike worthwhile, so i can't go stoveless...but as they say: hike your own hike. have fun! i love pepperoni (pre sliced) with string cheese on tortilla. yum yum. great lunch. super salty, too.

I'll admit a warm meal on a 35 degree night can be nice, but on an August night where you sweat while you sleep? I'll take a big apple cooled in a stream!

ATSeamstress
03-16-2012, 23:12
If you don't mind the extra work at home, cook up some pasta, rice, or lentils, then dehydrate them. On the trail just soak in water until they are rehydrated. Add tuna or chicken from a pouch, celery, packets of mayo, pepperoni, seasoning, or whatever.

HT1
03-17-2012, 00:33
Pouched tuna, mayo packets, and begal or pita, great sandwich, spice to your flavor with hot sauce, or wasabi. The MAYO is KEY for calories
ready to serve garlic bread, a little heavy, but hugh calories.

Phoenix7
03-17-2012, 12:00
I might bring a few sardine cans as well.

PaperCrane
03-17-2012, 14:26
I Spokes were here he would mention that you can split a block of ramen open like an oyster and spread peanut butter inside to make a sandwich out of it.

Rain Man
03-17-2012, 20:29
Pre-cooked bacon! SPAM. Dehydrated black beans or refried beans, put 'em on a tortilla. Hardboiled eggs.

Cereal, also pudding mixes, with dry milk (NIDO rather than stupid non-fat stuff).

Nutella.

Rain:sunMan

Wise Old Owl
03-17-2012, 20:38
~Dave

Summer sausage - pep stick is very greasy ... but if this works PM me.

LovingCooking
03-25-2012, 09:18
I like to do crackers with some kind of tuna mayonaise type of mixture. Add a bit of spice to the tuna mix. Tinned tuna does quite well as long as you eat the entire tin in one or at most two sittings.

Connie
03-29-2012, 13:25
Great information.

I can only add that I like the Tasty Bite brand Bombay Potatoes or Chunky Chickpeas wrapped in a tortilla.

Spicy but not too spicy food like that is "warming".

I have seen PackIt Gourmet has add cold water entrees.

Salads of rice or pasta are calorie-dense if you use a lot of salad dressing in those 4-ounce packets found at the grocery store. If not, PackIt Gourmet has the more generous-size packets.

coach lou
03-29-2012, 15:24
Summer sausage - pep stick is very greasy ... but if this works PM me.

That greasy fat keeps you warm at nite.

bobgessner57
04-02-2012, 20:45
Dates, dates with nuts, dates with peanut butter. Not the nasty ones from most grocery stores but the ones from co-ops, natural food stores and high end groceries. Filling and calorie dense.

Wise Old Owl
04-02-2012, 20:49
That greasy fat keeps you warm at nite.

so would an exciting woman and a large sleeping bag that stretches.

Wise Old Owl
04-02-2012, 21:02
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?searchid=1368394

See if this helps

regular box of rolled oats
a half pound of walnuts
pound of raisins.
(3 qt) box of powdered milk,
instant mashed potatoes
fig newtons,
Wheat Thins
Beans/legumes
Jerky/sausage
Dried fish/meat
Instant Breakfast
Seeds/nuts
Peanut butter
Cheese
oil
HIGH CARBOHYDRATE
Drink mix: cider, gatorade
Pudding mix
Soup/Gravy mix
Cereals (hot or cold)
Rice or couscous
Ramen noodles (10 pkgs.)
Potato flakes
Baked cookies/breads
Crackers/chips
Granola bars/PopTarts
Flour/baking mix
Dried vegetables
Dried fruit
Candy
Mocha flavored energy bar.
Gatorade
Hard candy
*Dried apples
*Prunes
*Dried apricots
*Dried figs
*Fruit leather
*Pretzels
*Fig bars
*Graham crackers
*Plain bagel
*PopTart
*Saltines
*Granola bar
*Peanut butter Granola bar
*Cracklin' Oat Bran
*Natr. Valley G’ola

pastries for first breakfast out of town.
cashews, raisins, crackers
Fritos and a 3 ounce can of chicken salad and an occasional fresh avocado.
10 inch tortillas for dinner. sliced cheese (imported Swiss being my favorite). I'll carry pre-sliced hard salami
Rotisserie chicken in a Baggie. Swiss cheese toritilla
herbal and fruit teas
garlic summer sausage
single pouches of Spam
tortillas along with the cheese.
fruit and yogurt

Super foods

Fruits Proteins Fats
Blueberries Salmon Walnuts
Oranges Turkey Almonds
Apples Soy Olive Oil
Pomegrante Beans Avocado
Kiwi (Eggs)*
Vegetables Starches Dairy
Spinich Beans Yogurt
Tomatoes Whole Grain
Broccoli Pumpkin
Onion Sweet Potato
Beverages
Tea

*added.

coach lou
04-02-2012, 21:15
WOO, that looks like Tipi's short haul food bag!

Wise Old Owl
04-02-2012, 21:36
it's compiled out of three years of threads - from everyone here.

Del Q
04-02-2012, 21:43
Killer list Wise Old Owl!!!

Spam
Dates
Raisins
Sunflower Seeds
Snickers Bars - obviously
Slim Jims
Pita Bread
Carnation Instant Breakfast - prefer chocolate, 2/day
Edamame
Soy Nuts
Macadamia Nuts
Dried Mango - killer snack
Beef jerky
Ramen - only with camp fires or soak in zip loc bag
Fritos
Cheese

plus whatever Wise Old Owl said

et_afig
04-02-2012, 23:30
Thanks for that list WOO, in on this thread for all intensive future purposes.

I pack a lot of tuna packets with me when our ship goes out to sea, and I plan on bringing around 75lbs of it for this upcoming deployment. However, tuna is about as lean and healthy as it gets so it appears as though I'm going to get to go all fatty with the mayo, definitely going to bring a bottle of hot sauce as well.

Wise Old Owl
04-04-2012, 22:39
Hey if anyone can add to it?