PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Thru-Hike - Rip my gear list apart (or offer support?!)

underscored
03-17-2012, 01:06
Let me preface this by saying - I love nature. I grew up desiring to be in the woods at any available moment. I know better than to go on trips like this unprepared, that being said - this will be the single biggest outdoors trip I'll have completed. I fly into ATL April 12th and will be on the AT by the 15th. I plan on doing the approach trail with 2 friends on the 14th.

This is a pilgrimage for me of sorts. Actually - not of sorts. It's a huge break from life for me. I will have no other responsibilities than to complete it (by October 1st - have a wedding to attend later that month).

Here's where I'd like some advice - words of encouragement - or whatever words of wisdom the board can offer.

I'm "making do" with what I have. Because what I don't have is money for new or different gear. Not even a penny. Every penny I do have will be for food resupplies and what I need in any various towns. I'm worried about a few things I have. I'm not an ultralight enthusiast, or even lightweight enthusiast. I absolutely see the merits of both, just can't afford that route right now. So I'll only be bringing what I absolutely need, no home comforts except for an emergency cell phone and my camera and the chargers for both (I'm hoping to be able to get some free electricity while resupplying or visiting a town).

Here's my gear list;
Kelty Redwing Pack - Internal Frame
3/4" Closed cell foam sleeping pad.
Lightweight (but warm) REI sleeping bag
MSR Whisperlite International stove w/ fuel bottle
MSR Gravity Fed water filter
Camelback bladder
Nalgene water bottle
750ml pot... spork
Sandals for when lounging/0 days/around camp
Extra pair of shorts, a tshirt for lounging, long sleeve wicking shirt to stay warm, extra socks
Sunglasses
Bandanna
Bug spray/Sunscreen/Toothbrush/Paste/Deodorant/Camp towel/Trowel/Roll of TP
Motrin/Prescription medicine/Chapstick/Eye drops
Couple journals, pen, pencil
Heavy duty trash bag to line the inside of my pack
Heavy duty trash bag(2) rolled and velcroed to quickly cover the outside of my pack
Small amount of paracord for tent tie downs (and lightweight tent stakes)

My major concern is the tent. I have a Kelty Getaway 4. This is clearly larger than most anyone would bring, but it's literally all I have - it will keep me dry, keep out bugs, and those both matter to me. I don't plan on staying in the shelters unless really necessary. How big of a deal is this?

Another concern is boots vs. shoes. My boots are amazing, they are broken in, can be waterproofed(ish), and have good ankle support. But they are HEAVY. The other option is tennis shoes. Which are lightweight, but if they get wet, will be torture. Thoughts here?

The only other (small) concern is walking stick necessity. I love the idea of having one. I love the idea of finding/crafting one even more.

I'm wordy - so I'll knock it off now. Thanks for any advice, support, laughs, words of encouragement, or "get the hell off the trail you are clearly out of your league"! See some of you out there this spring/summer.

underscored
03-17-2012, 01:09
Forgot to add - will also have the data book and trail guide - and I've been faithfully studying both and thinking out stops/ideal pace/etc.

Feral Bill
03-17-2012, 01:23
A trip to Goodwill could add a warm sweater and a shell of some sort. Maybe some nice, ugly running pants as well. I would recommend ditching the tent in favor of a cheap tarp, and maybe some bug netting. If the boots work for you, great.

Have a wonderful trip.

underscored
03-17-2012, 01:29
Shell of some sort - sorry, was doing my gear list from memory - I also have a pretty decent (weight/waterproofing capability) northface jacket and plan on bringing a rain poncho for myself.

Trip to goodwill is a good idea though, I can't imagine I'd need pants knowing me, but it couldn't hurt - especially if I can get em for a handful of change.

I'm thinking about the tarp/bug netting - but every penny does count in the lead up to this and there are still some small things on my list I need to get. I'll be playing with the rainfly over the next few weeks seeing if there's a way to leverage only that and find some noseeem netting, but (as it stands) the tent is going to be on the trail with me. I know the mantra is "hike your own hike" - but I also don't want to be "that guy".

Thanks for the response!

Winds
03-17-2012, 01:39
There are many others more qualified which will help you here regarding your list.

My only input is what I asked for days earlier and sounds like you are asking the same question above. What I was told was:

You are only FORCED to use a shelter in two areas of the entire A.T.
[If the shelter is full, you may then tent next to the shelter.]

Great Smoky Mtn. Nat. Park (GSMNP) – 82 miles
Baxter State Park – 10 miles

My understanding is that there is < 92 miles that you are forced to use a shelter on the A.T.

Edwardo Rodriguez
03-17-2012, 01:50
Well for me I use trail runner shoes last year on the John Muir Trail, I cross the creeks and snow fields with them one day going over Muir Pass I had to cross about 5 miles of snow and my feed where drench. But I had no problem with blisters last year. Am planing on the AT next year and in a way am in the same boat with you not that much money. Just keep in mind that difficultly you may face put one foot in front of the other keep your eyes on your goal and you shall reach the end. Just make sure you can sew, repair and patch what gear that might zip, brake or fall apart on you. Good luck and hope you have a journal that we can follow

underscored
03-17-2012, 01:57
Thanks - I'm fairly handing so sewing/patching/repairing shouldn't be an issue - and I know that stuff will crop up on me.

When I read other peoples journals and see the word "boring" or "bored" - I want to scream. The punishment that my body will face (whether it be physical or mental) is part of why I think I'll LOVE every second out there. There will be "ugh" moments, I know - but I'm going to relish on getting past those. What I'm noticing now, being a mere 25 days away or so, is the anxiety as I start to work out the small details making sure I'm as prepared as I can be.

Re: Journaling. What's the best way to do this? My best idea has been to write (a physical journal), and then digitally transcribe when I can get my phone some juice and connectivity. Probably just use tumblr because it'll be the easiest to upload photos/videos/text. I also want to make sure I'm keeping track of metrics (distance traveled, elevation, weather, etc...).

underscored
03-17-2012, 01:57
handy* - my engrish and typing skills are awesome at 2am.

bigcranky
03-17-2012, 09:29
Hey, underscored,

Get out on the trail. You'll figure it out. A couple of comments:

The 8 pound tent is going to be an issue. If there is any way you can figure out how to get a <4 pound solo tent (sub 3 pound is better), that would help a lot. Maybe an early (really early) holiday present?

You can make an alcohol stove from a soda can. The soda can is free from any public trash can. That will cut your stove weight from ~10 ounces to about 10 grams. Alcohol fuel is readily available on the trail.

A 1-liter Gatorade bottle weighs ~1.5 ounces (less than half as much as a Nalgene bottle), and comes prefilled with Gatorade. Three of them would be lighter and easier to deal with than the Camelback/Nalgene combo.

Good luck and happy trails.

4eyedbuzzard
03-17-2012, 10:36
Headlamp? My recommendation is Black Diamond Spot but any small one that takes AAA's will do. (You need some sort of flashlight)
A few feet of duct tape (You probably have some)
Base layer, tops and bottoms? (Thrift store or WM if you don't have)
Hat (wool or fleece)? (You probably have one somewhere)

Ditch the 8 lb tent and just bring a <2 lb poly tarp and sleep net, and stay in shelters when the weather is really bad.

coach lou
03-17-2012, 10:48
The rain fly on your big tent can be hung/ set-up, and a bug net can be found. Unless you are cooking for 4+ , the International' needs to be downsized. And I'll carry my nice comfy Thermarest, thank you! Have a good walk!

grayfox
03-17-2012, 11:05
Right now--Put all your stuff into your pack, add a one gallon water jug to simulate your food bag. Find a tall building with nice stairways and spend an hour or so walking up and down. If the weather is nice go outside for this. Then go home and lay all your stuff out on the iving room floor. You will see your gear in a very different light than when you first packed your pack.

Make the change you feel you can make. Then repack and do the above over again.

When you start to feel good about your kit--then go on an overnight with real food and see how reality compares with dreams. Then go home and make some more changes.

Start now so you will be ready when your feet hit the trail.

There is just no substitute for doing this--though we do try to be helpful here.

grayfox

RodentWhisperer
03-17-2012, 11:06
There's been some discussions on this site regarding lightweight/cheap 1-person tents-- I seem to remember the Eureka Solitaire (2lb 9oz)winning the "debate." It's widely available and shouldn't cost you much-- I just did a quick search and found one for $62 + shipping:
http://www.wildbillwholesale.com/eusoteflsi2.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=eusoteflsi2

underscored
03-17-2012, 12:35
Thanks all for more advice. Some updates as I'm awake and thinking (clearer) this morning.

Duct tape, flashlight, super small firestarter, compass, knife - are all part of my standard "better have with you gear."

Gatorade bottles - this is a good idea and something I'll look into. I like the bladder because the way I have it setup, it integrates nice with my pack, I can drink on the fly (I drink a TON of water when hiking), and it actually kind of acts as an extra cushion between the internal frame of my pack. That being said, I'll play around with this idea.

(Part of...) the reason for the stove - it was recommended and I already had the fuel bottle. Plus I like the idea of cooking for random new friends or sharing a meal. As much as I'm going to enjoy being in my own head - I'm certainly planning on meeting people, sharing a swig outta my flask, and bs'ing as my way is made north. Cooking for people tends to ease any social awkwardness I deal with.

I'm playing with some rainfly only options today. Even at this point - the money I have is enough to get my food - a couple beers for my buds picking me up - and 3 food resupplies until I actually have my trail budget deposited. Plus a small "emergency" reserve that I won't touch. I do have a couple overnight weekends planned where I'll take my gear setup with me (even though for the specific weekend it'll be overkill) - that give me a feel and I'll find anything I can do without/might still need.

Thanks again everyone. I tend to "share" a lot on these forums, so expect updates and more questions as the "go date" gets closer.

...and Winds - I just noticed you're from Shelby Township - I actually grew up there (and am right down the street at the moment). Small world!

Winds
03-17-2012, 13:07
...and Winds - I just noticed you're from Shelby Township - I actually grew up there (and am right down the street at the moment). Small world!

24 & Dequindre here. Where you stationed at now then? Ha.

Have a great hike!

underscored
03-17-2012, 13:12
At the moment - an outdoor patio table, Killians in hand, 21 & Hayes. I grew up behind the old Four Bears deathtrap...errr waterpark on Auburn between Dequindre and Ryan.

Thanks!

underscored
03-17-2012, 13:24
Thinking.... wonder If I can find anyone who would possibly have a need for a larger tent and would trade me for something more appropriate. Just an outright trade? My tent is super nice and it's done me well, but - it's obviously overkill. I'd maybe be "losing" a little bit actually, but the worth of getting something lighter would make up for that.

Or I get lucky and make a little extra scratch in the next few weeks and can get that Eureka Solitude. It looks basically perfect for what I need.

Winds
03-17-2012, 13:29
At the moment - an outdoor patio table, Killians in hand, 21 & Hayes. I grew up behind the old Four Bears deathtrap...errr waterpark on Auburn between Dequindre and Ryan.

Yeah, that place was a trip for us growing up. When the guns entered the scene, we vacated. You are close - I will be at 25 & Van Dyke (my gym) soon. Enjoy that beer on this awesome afternoon!

Edwardo Rodriguez
03-17-2012, 17:52
Well last year on the John Muir Trail I did both a physical journal and a video journal and post it on youtube "mexican on the jmt" have to find out what will work best for you. There are so many unknown factor that goes on a Thru hike a person has to turn to their outdoor skill to see them past what ever they may see. You will be push to your limits and at that point you have to find it with in you to get past those trials and push forward one step, one mile and one state at a time.

underscored
03-17-2012, 19:19
...You will be push to your limits and at that point you have to find it with in you to get past those trials and push forward one step, one mile and one state at a time...

Love this.

Smooth & Wasabi
03-17-2012, 19:36
I think it looks pretty good. I would do a prep trip with the tent but set up the fly like a tarp using only guyline and stakes. You can experiment but have the back up. A one person bug net is like $20 online that is pretty cheap to save so much weight. If you like the tarp but want something lighter or a different shape you can buy a section of heavy duty plastic at the harwear store for next to nothing(worked for colin fletcher). Plus one on making a cat food can stove (google directions) this way you can bring your whisperlite on the trip but have the cat can stove as well(weighs very little) or at least the experience of building one in case you decide to lighten up a bit for almost free later on. The whisperlite is bomber and you will be happy to have it for groups and winter hiking but many people end up switching to alcohol. If you try it out buy a small beverage in a plastic botttle for a fuel bottle and use the windscreen from your msr.

ScottP
03-17-2012, 21:12
I grew up in Troy, small world. 16 and Coolidge.

You can make it work.
Some ideas to save weight and possibly money (mostly seconding bigcranky):

Switch to an alcohol stove. You can make one at home for a dollar. Google 'superacat' for the idiot proof version. If you're handier explore other option. If you want to share food on the trail, no one will want your dinners. Pack extra snickers bars.

Shelter: You need to replace that tent. How many calories (and therefore $$$) do you think it is going to cost to haul that thing from GA to ME?

Get a 6x10 flat NYLON tarp. You can probably find an off brand for $20-$30.

I'd rock the tennis shoes.

How much $ do you have saved up for food & incidentals along the way? Starting a trip you don''t have the resources to finish can be frustrating.

The camelbak/nalgene stuff...just use gatorade bottles. Simple, easy, cheap.

Edwardo Rodriguez
03-17-2012, 21:25
Well undersored I have a 2 man 5lb tent that you are more than welcome to use or an OR bivy sack. I use the bivy on the JMT last year did not care to much for it had some condensation problem so I cowboy camp as much as I could

underscored
03-17-2012, 22:43
So after a day of beers and messing around with the rainfly, the tent is out. Like most have pointed out, it really is just too damn heavy.

I'm not entirely comfortable with the rainfly, and upon returning to my building tonight I found someone took my "for sale - bar stools" sign down. Here's to hoping tomorrow or Monday that same someone comes buys those puppies, that'll pay for the Eureka tent mentioned earlier which I think will be perfect (weight, what I want to sleep in, what's "appropriate" for a single hiker). Worst case - I've got 26 days to drill it down, and very worst case, I use the rainfly and a bug net.

Thanks for the offer Edwardo - for now we'll see what comes up. Things are looking better already.

Overall I'll have just shy of $1400 budgeted for the trip (and my now ONLY bill - cell phone). Problem is a good chunk of that won't be coming until the 1st week of May. Reason for leaving early - had a flight voucher that expired before then. Could not pass on the free flight, and logistically it made more sense to get on the trail when I am.

I plan on NEVER staying in a motel/hostel. And really taking very minimal down days in a town. Once in a blue moon I may go have a beer or two and real food - but every penny will be toward supporting the end goal of completing this hike. I'm a stubborn S-O-B and besides what this is going to do for me personally, I want to be part of that (10?)% that actually completes a thru-hike, and I'll put everything out there to do so.

As it gets closer I'll keep drilling down the gear and isolating what "works" for me and what doesn't. So far - the help here has been perfect. It's clear I was way wrong on trying to get by with the tent I had among other things.

Re: ScottP & Troy. My aunt lived over there for the longest time (Between 17(wattles?)&16 and Rochester, her husband's family actually owns that Picano's restaurant over that way (if it's still there even?) - Quite a few of my friends graduated from Athens back in 99-00.

Winds
03-18-2012, 14:07
Wow, have your read much from others on budget? If you can manage the entire journey on $1400, I and a few thousand here will want to know exactly how you did that. How long are you planning on being on the trail - I don't know if you have a slated time goal to complete?

underscored
03-18-2012, 14:27
I've been reading and I've read about people budgeting with less - whether or not they've completed it is beyond me.

I'm an EXTREMELY frugal and plan on carrying more than most would food with me. I'm planning on 2.5/3 food resupplies a month (if I can time/space it all out right, which is something I'm working out the details/distances of now). My food is literally going to consists of PB/Oatmeal/Pita/flat breads/Nuts and trailmix/Granola/mac and cheese/swiss mix - and I'm still working out some finer details and incorporating larger/more nutritional-protein based meals.

Other than that - any other expenses besides food - maybe a new pair of shoes (if I end up going the tennis shoe route) - and a couple postcards out to various people - are going to be few and far between. Unless I'm completely missing something?

That's it money related. After that - there literally IS no more. I've got a free flight home from wherever (will probably be NY - my parents will be in Maine the first couple days of October, and I'll hitch with them down the east coast a bit until I get to a big enough airport) - and some money set aside for a wedding gift when I get back.

underscored
03-18-2012, 14:27
*an extremely frugal ---person---

again, awesome typing/speaking skills on hand.

underscored
03-18-2012, 14:46
Addressed "the money situation" in a post on what will become my AT (online) journal. Not that it addresses specifics of what I'll be spending out there - but part of why I'm doing this trip, and part of why there is just no money. ( underscore-at2012.tumblr.com )

Please though - let me know if there's anything BESIDES food that I honestly need to budget for and can't do without. I didn't come here to not listen to worthwhile advice.

Winds
03-18-2012, 14:47
Well, if you do your hike in 4 months, that's $11.67 per day for everything.
5 months = $9.34 per day.

My understanding is to do the entire A.T. with that budget, you'll need to be an EXPERT in one or many facets of your hike including but not limited to:
o Speed of your hike
o Staying out of towns
o NOT partying it up
o Little to no gear replacements
o Great health / little to no downtime
o Few if no unforeseen problems
o More...

The ONLY reason I mention above is that you seem determined to finish a thru-hike of the entire trail.

I certainly wish you success in your endeavor and like I said, WHEN you make it, I'll want to know how on that budget.

underscored
03-18-2012, 14:55
I look at this list, and I (honestly) - not just (wishy washy optimism) - believe it's possible. My only real worry is going to be the speed of the hike, I know it'll take be a good couple weeks to get a good rhythm that I can then plot the rest of (or large portions at least) the hike off of that rhythm.

Towns/Parties - really not my scene. At all. Not lately at least. And certainly not as my goal is to forge north carrying my life on my back. I'm ok letting people know "Sorry - can't really take a down day, or go split a case with you".

Gear... *big sigh*. IF (another version of me) had money, there's a lot I would outright replace now. But - that's not how it goes. Anything that happens with my pack, shelter, or sleeping bag - I should be able to fix (or rig) on my own. The one thing that could screw me is my water filter - but until I get my hands on it, I'm not sure if I even need to worry about that.

But thanks! - I really hope I'm successful too. I'll be documented a lot, so we'll def find out at some point if the budget is doable.

swjohnsey
03-18-2012, 15:03
You can probably count on replacing shoes more than once. They really take a beating.

underscored
03-18-2012, 15:07
You can probably count on replacing shoes more than once. They really take a beating.

Good to know. I've read some accounts where people seem to do ok, but the majority seems to be ^. This is why boots vs. shoes is something I haven't settled yet. My boots are made to take an absolute beating. But they also weigh as such.

swjohnsey
03-18-2012, 15:23
I think it is unusual for even a pair of sturdy hiking boots to last the trip. I'm wearin' regular running shoes not really designed for hiking. A pair last me about 500 miles.

ScottP
03-18-2012, 15:42
I don't see how you can expect to finish on $1,400 without a lot of luck and mooching. By all means start and enjoy yourself, but don't get disappointed if you run out of money halfway.

Winds
03-18-2012, 16:10
I don't see how you can expect to finish on $1,400 without a lot of luck and mooching. By all means start and enjoy yourself, but don't get disappointed if you run out of money halfway.

Yeah, this is the sentiment you'll see most here I think.
People brighter and more experienced than I have broken budget down in umpteen ways and what you're attempting will be a great challenge.

As for boots that will make it, I have them too BUT they would probably have to be re-soled along the way. They weigh over 5lbs. so I'm not even thinking of taking those. I have spent a little time on shoe selection and in HIGH spirits am trying to find a shoe / insole system that might only need to be replaced once. This is very ideal thinking by most.

With that said, this is my general plan:

Hiking shoe (I stress shoe here): $100 (I want a mid-high shoe, and NOT trail runners)
Insoles: $30

Times that by two (at minimum): $260

This doesn't include socks, liners, gators, etc. so I am not detailing out a FOOT plan.

This is all my opinion obviously - but I have NOT found a shoe or boot that won't need some sort of insole consideration and that will have to be replaced at some point.

underscored
03-18-2012, 16:14
Is any of what I posted above out of sorts at all? $1400 (to me) is a lot of money for food (especially when I'll be on a "eat when I can" diet). Let's even say $1100 of it for food and any remainder for little stuff that comes up. Here's what I'm basing this off of...

I live in the city. I'm poor as it is. I live off of cereal and sandwiches, and can keep my grocery bill (with milk, juice - stuff I won't have on the trail) below 30 dollars. And that food lasts me 2 weeks at least. I get that things will probably be /slightly/ more expensive where I can get it out there, but I'll also be eating a specific-ish diet. I know I'm going to have to consume many many more calories, but I won't have milk, juice, fresh meat - some of the more "expensive" foodstuffs I buy now. I'm certainly not going to turn down any free meals - but I won't be looking - and I expect to be offering any food (snacks) I'm eating to any hungry potential friends out there I come across.

I don't know. I feel like there's an expectation that town/parties/beer/hotels/motels/hostels etc... are all part of the bigger picture. It just won't be part of my bigger picture.

underscored
03-18-2012, 16:17
Guess this is going to be a budget battle kind of trip then!

I need to weigh my boots, I'm curious on their actual weight. Once I get to the mid-atl/upper east coast, I'll have some support up that way regarding going into cities and spending time with friends, a couple friends that are going to hike portions of the trail, etc... That should help out my budget some, and maybe give me an opportunity to work on any shoes/boots that need fixing or tweaking.

underscored
03-18-2012, 16:27
Ok. Found my boots.

http://www.amazon.com/Magnum-Mens-Response-II-Boot/dp/B000V2NJ4G

I'm on my second pair of these. I wear them everywhere for everything, and have worn them hiking plenty of times in the past (never, obv, for something this far). They are broken in and feet my feet like a second skin. I also have them fairly waterproofed (not perfect, but good). According to the manufacturer - they are just over three lbs. Or 48 1/2 ounces if we're getting specific. That's actually NOT as bad as I had thought.

underscored
03-18-2012, 16:27
Oh - and for whatever reason, amazon has these with a zipper up the side. My def. do NOT have a zipper.

jus10kase
03-18-2012, 16:30
Planning will be the biggest help on your budget( and some luck avoiding suprise expenses). At home I usually spend 70-80 a week feeding myself, and that includes eating out a couple times. So I don`t expect to go out and spend twice that on my hike. Don`t HAVE to watch my budget as close as you but trying to plan on saving some. I mean like spending 8x on something at a conv store or plan a little ahead?
Enjoy your hike !!

Winds
03-18-2012, 16:31
Another thing to consider regarding boots, is not only how they'll hold up, but also how much they might weigh completely soaking wet.

ScottP
03-18-2012, 17:40
The 'champion' of cheap non-moochy thru hikes, as far as I know, is weathercarrot. He wrote an article on it. He was talking about thru-hiking on $1,100. But that was in 2003.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?2822-Ideas-for-an-Inexpensive-Thru-hike&highlight=weathercarrot

I think he was able to succeed by cooking over wood and buying things like oatmeal, rice, and beans in bulk, and only resupplying from grocery stores. Fuel costs can add up for a hike, especially if you have foods that need actual cooking.

You still need a better footwear strategy. Maybe just go thrift stores near where you live. You could send yourself mail drops to 2-3 places where there aren't good grocery stores with a gently used pair of shoes.

Those boots would be absolutely miserable for a thru-hike.

you'll need to not smoke/drink

You'll need to have no bad luck (illness, gear breaking, etc.)

You'll need to be ok with eating your rice & beans while all the other hikers are going to buffets, the bar, etc.

underscored
03-18-2012, 17:51
That is a great link and good advice. I know times have changed in the last 9 years (inflation-wise) - but reading that is making me that much more optimistic that $1400 is doable.

Luckily I don't smoke - and while I'll have a social beer or two (here - at home), I'm not a big drinker. Once upon a time, yes. In the last year I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually set out to "drink".

Luck/Bad Luck.... I plan on pushing through any minor illnesses, sore legs, resting shin splints if/when they happen. It'll probably take me coughing up some internal organ or something along those lines to take me off the trail for an illness. I know every little ache/pain of my body, and have a pretty good understanding (biologically) of when something might be dangerous and need to get professional help. I also have a pretty in depth physical coming up next week that will make sure I'm healthy enough - that's the only "hurdle" that can happen beforehand to put the whole trip in question. (Luckily one I'm not worried about going wrong).

Boots. Ahhhh, blah. Really? Can I ask why? I summited Table Rock and some other smallish SC/NC mountains and trails with those boots with no issue. Clearly someone else will know more than me, so I'll continue to research and reshape that part of my gear. I was actually getting excited for a second because they turned out to be lighter than I thought.

ScottP
03-18-2012, 17:56
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?33346-Budget-Hiking-on-a-short-(3-4-month)-schedule

also, there's an article I wrote. Lots if it is outdated (shipping cost has gone way up), but it may have useful info

swjohnsey
03-19-2012, 10:51
Cheapest fuel (besides wood) is gasoline which works in stoves like the MSR Whisperlite.

underscored
03-19-2012, 14:30
Using gasoline (and it's cost) was one of the reasons the whisperlite jumped to mind. I haven't actually had hands on it yet (buddy shipped it Thursday, should be here today or tomorrow) - What's the deal with storing gas in the fuel bottle? My understanding it says "white fuel only" or something like that as a warning. Not that I always follow all warnings, but gas has different burning properties than white fuel. I'm /guessing/ it can be stored in that fuel bottle and ran like normal - but can someone clarify? (I'll probably figure it out here in a day or two anyways, but I'm just curious).

underscored
03-19-2012, 14:30
*it* being the fuel bottle.

Saprogenic
03-19-2012, 14:53
There are many others more qualified which will help you here regarding your list.

My only input is what I asked for days earlier and sounds like you are asking the same question above. What I was told was:

You are only FORCED to use a shelter in two areas of the entire A.T.
[If the shelter is full, you may then tent next to the shelter.]

Great Smoky Mtn. Nat. Park (GSMNP) – 82 miles
Baxter State Park – 10 miles

My understanding is that there is < 92 miles that you are forced to use a shelter on the A.T.

What do you mean 'forced to use a shelter'? Is it illegal?

Winds
03-19-2012, 16:10
My understanding in those above stated areas, if you do not stay in a shelter, or tent next to it if full, then you can be ticketed.

ScottP
03-19-2012, 16:42
If you plan on running a whisperlite off of gasoline then you should plan on cleaning it frequently.

swjohnsey
03-19-2012, 17:37
Unleaded gas works well in the Wisperlite and I haven't cleaned mine in years.

Winds
03-19-2012, 19:07
Yeah, actually most anything combustible works well in those.

ScottP
03-19-2012, 22:17
Unleaded gas works well in the Wisperlite and I haven't cleaned mine in years.
Guess I've been misinformed. Thanks for correcting.

paradoxb3
03-20-2012, 14:39
on $1400, be *EXTRA* frugal in the south/mid atlantic. It was my experience that food was much more expensive in new england.

underscored
03-20-2012, 18:56
Thanks again everyone for advice, commentary, etc!

Just made a little extra scrap($), did some more reading and research, and the Eureka tent on-sale seems to be my best bet/bang for my buck. So it's now purchased and on it's way. Link here - http://www.wildbillwholesale.com/eusoteflsi2.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=eusoteflsi2 if you're curious.

Received the whisperlite today and learning/playing with it. This thing is pretty awesome to be honest. Yes - there are lighter/super super cheap options out there, but this was free and my friend swears by it. He just replaced the o-rings and cleaned it, and said that he used it solidly with unleaded gas and never had to really worry about cleaning it. He just cleaned it up for me before I left.

Have a few more super small things to get, and then my final gear list will be posted (including weights). I'm still hemming and hawwing on the damn footwear. Knowing me I'll wait until the last second to make my decision and just deal/live with it if I end up rethinking once I'm out there.

underscored
03-20-2012, 18:58
on $1400, be *EXTRA* frugal in the south/mid atlantic. It was my experience that food was much more expensive in new england.

Thanks. I had a feeling that might be the case. Luckily the farther north I get, the more "support" I'll be getting from some friends who I have no problem reminding "hey - remember that one time?" and then having them restock me as they come out to section hike. It's one thing mooching from strangers (which I absolutely won't do) and a complete other to call in the bro-code and have some favors returned. :D

Winds
03-20-2012, 19:06
Two thoughts on the shoes.
Seems that some of last years (or older) models are on great sales now?
Theclymb.com had some great deals, and other sites too, check around.

You may only want to get one pair of decent but cheap shoes now and PLAN on replacing them down the trail.
Hopefully you won't have to do that 5-8 times on a tight budget though.

Half Note
03-20-2012, 22:33
I'll chime in on your new tent. I have this same one and I like it a lot. It's not the roomiest of tents - you won't be able to sit up in it, but it gets the job done for sleeping. I have read that the poles tend to break so just be careful with them. This has not been my experience though. My only guess is, people are forcing the pin in the pinhole when the end of the pole isn't ALL the way in the notch where it should be.

I have used it many times and it's much lighter than your original choice, I think you'll like it.

underscored
03-20-2012, 22:44
The Great Footware Decision of 2012.

Going with my boots. Reasoning being - they fit my foot like a glove - will do better wet - and will hold up much longer on the trail.

IF money wasn't an option - this would be my honest consideration ( http://www.chacos.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/11397M/53580/Edgy/J101653?dimensions=18 ). It would a) leave me not needing to haul sandals to lounge in b) I wouldn't have to worry about waterproofing c) make me oh so happy because while my boots fit like a glove, in nice weather/when outside, I'll rock sandals as often as I can. I would probably bring a backup, because if a strap pulls out for whatever reason, I'd be screwed if I couldn't finagle a good solid fitting fix. But if they're still holding up strong mid or past mid-way - that backup could be shipped back. Sigh. If 100 bill falls out of the sky, and I have enough time to try them out, that would be my perfect decision.

ScottP
03-21-2012, 00:30
The Great Footware Decision of 2012.

Going with my boots. Reasoning being - they fit my foot like a glove - will do better wet - and will hold up much longer on the trail.

IF money wasn't an option - this would be my honest consideration ( http://www.chacos.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/11397M/53580/Edgy/J101653?dimensions=18 ). It would a) leave me not needing to haul sandals to lounge in b) I wouldn't have to worry about waterproofing c) make me oh so happy because while my boots fit like a glove, in nice weather/when outside, I'll rock sandals as often as I can. I would probably bring a backup, because if a strap pulls out for whatever reason, I'd be screwed if I couldn't finagle a good solid fitting fix. But if they're still holding up strong mid or past mid-way - that backup could be shipped back. Sigh. If 100 bill falls out of the sky, and I have enough time to try them out, that would be my perfect decision.

I have a buddy that thru-hiked in chacos. think he got through the AT and CDT in one year on about 4 pairs. They last about twice as long as shoes and cost the same amount.

Food for thought.

Wags
03-21-2012, 00:52
hey man i just looked over your list. i don't see any sort of insulating jacket or rain jacket. the rain jacket is a must and the insulation is a near must (unless you plan to use your sleeping bag). also, ditch the deodorant...

underscored
03-21-2012, 01:08
hey man i just looked over your list. i don't see any sort of insulating jacket or rain jacket. the rain jacket is a must and the insulation is a near must (unless you plan to use your sleeping bag). also, ditch the deodorant...

I've got a northface jacket and a long sleeve anti moisture underlayer in case I get cold. I sleep/am stupidly warm blooded. Me and heat actually hate each other - so that's the one part of this trip I just know I'm going to have to push out of mind, because damn it's warm already.

Deodorant? Reasoning behind this? I was mostly going to have it if I had to head into a town and could smell myself. Hate to make others suffer as well even if it's just temporary.

underscored
03-21-2012, 01:09
I have a buddy that thru-hiked in chacos. think he got through the AT and CDT in one year on about 4 pairs. They last about twice as long as shoes and cost the same amount.

Food for thought.

Makes me want them even more now. I saw these and started in on the "hey old man, know I'm doing this trip on a budget..." to my pops just now, before I could finish the last word he laughed and said don't even think about it, my birthday wasn't until January. Fail.

Wags
03-21-2012, 01:31
ok. i bet you'll throw your deodorant away the first town you get to :D

seems many think your funds will be short. i suggest you make sure you enjoy yourself out there and see how far that takes you. you can always go back and finish what you started later on when the money is right...

underscored
03-21-2012, 01:35
ok. i bet you'll throw your deodorant away the first town you get to :D

seems many think your funds will be short. i suggest you make sure you enjoy yourself out there and see how far that takes you. you can always go back and finish what you started later on when the money is right...

Haha. At least that first town I'll be slightly less stinky?!

And yeah - The budget (and it's discussion here) has been a hot-topic offline between me and some of my more experienced outdoors friends. They seem to think that the type of journey I'm setting out on, and knowing me, that I should be ok and even have some cash left-over towards the end. Then again, they could be as wrong as me.

BUT I fully intend on doing just that - enjoying every single step, even the ones that hurt, which there will be plenty, and going as far as possible. Which will hopefully be some 2100+ miles later. :D