PDA

View Full Version : Nose hair

Pencil Pusher
03-28-2005, 00:04
So what do the old-timers with nose hair do when out on long trips like these? Let the stuff hang free in the wind? Seems scissors would be a pain to carry around, yet borrowing the office scissors wouldn't work well either. Or do the real men just pinch and pull?
Geez, I can't wait till I'm an old man and this stuff grows out of my ears:o

Hikerhead
03-28-2005, 00:11
So what do the old-timers with nose hair do when out on long trips like these? Let the stuff hang free in the wind? Seems scissors would be a pain to carry around, yet borrowing the office scissors wouldn't work well either. Or do the real men just pinch and pull?

Wow, just the other day I was sitting at work daydreaming and thinking the same thing....

Mountain Hippie
03-28-2005, 00:23
I carry a micra with scissors. I also use them to trim beard etc. Pinch and pull makes my eyes water.

smokymtnsteve
03-28-2005, 00:26
yea...ole PP must of some nostril hairs hisself to be asking a question like this.

saimyoji
03-28-2005, 00:56
I'm under 30 (barely) and have issues with body hair, including nose & ear hair. Ear hair I just pull em off. Nose hair is a little more sensitive. For the deeper ones: pinch & pull. For the ones that grow close to the nostrils: I detach the head of a disposable razor and use that to 'shave' the hairs down. I then rinse the razor head with alcohol for re-use. I have tried scissors in the past, but they just don't do the grooming I like from the razor.

The thing to remember is that nostril hairs serve a purpose. Especially in the buggier seasons. A great way to catch some protein! :bse

Rabbit
03-28-2005, 09:46
..............pack it in, pack it out
Rabbit

Singletrack
03-28-2005, 10:56
I don't know what the other old timers do, but my bic lighter serves a double capacity with the nose hair. It also helps to prevent dinglberries. Hope this helps.

Stoker53
03-28-2005, 12:01
Braids work fo rme. You can even tie a little bow on the end if you have any ribbon.

Footslogger
03-28-2005, 12:11
Just pinch and pull for the ones near the edge and a tiny pair of scissors worked for the rest ...but I did get a pretty good chuckle over the "braiding" suggestion. Quite a "visual".

'Slogger
AT 2003

Panzer1
03-28-2005, 12:31
I use a small swiss army knife with a sissors.

Panzer

Kerosene
03-28-2005, 12:34
...but I did get a pretty good chuckle over the "braiding" suggestion. Quite a "visual".My reaction was closer to "upchuck".

Tim Rich
03-28-2005, 14:29
I carry a micra with scissors. I also use them to trim beard etc. Pinch and pull makes my eyes water.

That's how I keep my contacts from drying out - pull a few hairs and there's no need for eye drops. Multipurpose, no weight. :D

Mags
03-28-2005, 14:50
If you hike the High Sierra on the PCT/JMT or the Colorao Trail/CDT you will more than likely have a small (or a large) amount of nose bleeds. Getting the "gunk" out of the nose (be it by blowing your nose or other, more direct ways) will make sure you have NO nose hair by the end of the trek. :)

Mountain Hippie
03-28-2005, 15:12
I don't know what the other old timers do, but my bic lighter serves a double capacity with the nose hair. It also helps to prevent dinglberries. Hope this helps.
That's fine as long as you don't inhale.....or exhale depending on which end you're dealing with. Kaboom

TakeABreak
03-28-2005, 18:05
Well, I think if the nose hair got to be a problem they could trim it with the scissors out of their first aid kit when they, got to a hostel. That is if they carry them.

grrickar
03-29-2005, 15:08
Grow it so long it blends in with the beard and moustache.

Youngblood
03-29-2005, 15:23
Let it grow on long trips... it will help keep bugs from flying up your nose.

hikerjohnd
03-29-2005, 16:17
So why does the hair in my nose grow faster than the hair on my face??? :confused::-?:confused::-?:confused:

Toolshed
03-29-2005, 17:03
So..... what you though in the old days was a handlebar mustache - Really wasn't - Look closer and see where the mustache originates.... :eek:

Seriously I Pinch and pull all the time (mid 40's) the tearing of your eyes goes away after time. I enjoy the little shots of adreniline I get from the briefest little stab of pain. 'Course, it always hurts more, when you are unsuccessful and getting the hair to come out.

I call it a good harvest when you can look between your thumb and forefinger and find 10 or more hairs!!!!

:D

The Scribe
03-29-2005, 21:53
So why does the hair in my nose grow faster than the hair on my face??? :confused::-?:confused::-?:confused:
But

Why does it grow faster than the hair on my HEAD!!!

PCM

Mountain Hippie
03-30-2005, 00:34
But

Why does it grow faster than the hair on my HEAD!!!

PCM
Could it be that noses are more fertile? They have more moisture and shade. There is a warm breeze blowing all year. Perhaps the hair on our heads migrates to the nose and decides to stay. I mean people move to Florida for similar reasons all the time. :-?

Pencil Pusher
03-30-2005, 01:57
yea...ole PP must of some nostril hairs hisself to be asking a question like this.
Don't hurt yourself thinking so quick. So nobody totes along the battery-powered nose trimmer? ;)

Heater
04-18-2005, 21:26
LOL! Funny thread.

I had a few that I pulled out... OUCH!... a couple of years ago but none of the "deep" ones have reappeared since then. I guess I am fortunate.

I am of Scottish descent and do not have a lot of body hair... :D

Two years ago Thanksgiving dinner. My Sister inlaw asked " why are the men always picking their nose"? Heheh!

I explained to her... and the rest of the table... the differences between men and women in regards to facial hair and as to WHY we are always messin' with our noses!
...I had a nice meal, anyway! :banana :D :jump :jump :jump

(as did the rest of the "nosepickers" at the table)