PDA

View Full Version : Trail names whats your storey?

trucker2015
03-17-2012, 04:06
I'm sore this as been asked before.
But I thought it would make some good reading wile I'm home doing spring cleaning this weekend.

What is the store of you trail name?

trucker2015
03-17-2012, 04:44
In 1999 I was doing my first long hike. I was a rookie and it showed.
I was going from Amicaloa to Franklin,NC planing on a two week trip
Had a really nice and new pack but that was it jeans,cotton shirts tree sets of each a walmart tint and so on.
my pack weighed about 70lb. with the 3 litters of water I thought I needed to carry at all times.
My first night I camped at Stover Creek Shelter where about ten other people where camping.
shortly after I took my boots off a guy asked if I would mind if me moved my pack. Which started a good hour of raging, every one picking up my pack, and some good advice on getting the wight dawn.
At one point someone said I must have used a Mac truck to get it that far by the next day that comment had had people calling me (Trucker) which is the trail name I use to this day.

Maddog
03-17-2012, 06:28
I cuss ALOT! Maddog is my "go to" word spelled backwards! :)

rocketsocks
03-17-2012, 14:23
I cuss ALOT! Maddog is my "go to" word spelled backwards! :)My name is Racecar;backwards it spells racecar.

dmperkins74
03-18-2012, 08:20
AlphaPig: My son used to watch a show called Super Why! which was all about reading. There was a character on there who was his favorite and when I was telling my family about trail names, he told me I should be "Alpha Pig"... it stuck.

Theosus
03-18-2012, 20:37
I cuss ALOT! Maddog is my "go to" word spelled backwards! :)

My favorite one too. Being from the south that catches a lot of flak.

So what's the deal with trail names? Are they only for long distance hikes like AT or PCT or once you have one do you use it anywhere you hike? Would it be weird on a four day trip to run across a group in a camp ground and say "hi, I'm (insert trail name here) instead of my real name, or is it something common to the whole hiking experience?

GoldenBear
03-18-2012, 20:48
It's the nickname of my college's sports teams.

rocketsocks
03-18-2012, 20:49
My favorite one too. Being from the south that catches a lot of flak.

So what's the deal with trail names? Are they only for long distance hikes like AT or PCT or once you have one do you use it anywhere you hike? Would it be weird on a four day trip to run across a group in a camp ground and say "hi, I'm (insert trail name here) instead of my real name, or is it something common to the whole hiking experience?Heck,I met a little cub scout once,and he said,"My Street name is Junebug"Oh yeah,well what's your trail name?"Steve"..........Ok Junebug,get in the truck,were all waiting.

GoldenBear
03-18-2012, 21:03
> So what's the deal with trail names? Are they only for long distance hikes like AT or PCT or once you have one do you use it anywhere you hike?
> Would it be weird on a four day trip to run across a group in a camp ground and say "hi, I'm (insert trail name here) instead of my real name,
> or is it something common to the whole hiking experience?

If you want to use one at any point, fine; if you don't, just as fine.

It's just that trail names (1) can sometimes help establish your trail persona or image, (2) allow some degree of anonymity to anyone outside the trail community, and (3) conversely, allow those within the trail community to quickly know someone even with the passage of months (if not years) and hundreds of miles. I may have no ability to remember all the Joes I've met on the trail, but I will recognize some of the trail names.

I write my trail name and a couple sentences into the trail log book of every shelter I pass by, even if I'm on a four hour day hike and just stopping to catch my breath. If someone gets a smile from seeing my name after meeting me five years ago, well, great. If not, no worry.

Stir Fry
03-18-2012, 21:10
Mine was given to me buy my son. I used to joke that dogs and cat were nothing but stir fry on the hoof, 1.2 billionn chinese could not all be wrong. He said I should go bu Stir Fry. It stuck.

trucker2015
03-18-2012, 21:26
So what's the deal with trail names? Are they only for long distance hikes like AT or PCT or once you have one do you use it anywhere you hike? Would it be weird on a four day trip to run across a group in a camp ground and say "hi, I'm (insert trail name here) instead of my real name, or is it something common to the whole hiking experience?[/QUOTE]

Like Golden Bear it's so much easier to remember a trail name then Sam Jack or Ted,
after ten years I still remember Bear cat, Sandal Foot and Rope Burn.

kelin
03-18-2012, 21:42
I'm a newbie and received my on the way up Springer this year from my Niece. My trail name is Believe. I got into the habit of chanting I believe, I believe, I believe he's cancer free when my husband went through cancer treatments (both times) and that habit has followed me into other parts of my life... when I was looking at a rough, icy patch on Springer my Niece heard me start to chant I believe, I believe, I believe and she was sitting at the top of that nasty patch with a grin and my trail name.

turtle fast
03-19-2012, 14:14
I picked Turtlefast for Whiteblaze because I am fast as a turtle...or so my wife says. I was asked where I got good trail info from and I said Whiteblaze and I was Turtlefast there...the name stuck...

Smokestack
03-19-2012, 21:48
Sometimes, the story can be sad. Here on WB, I go by Smokestack. That was my CB handle for years, thanks to my (former) career as an environmental engineer. However, my trail name is jimbey. It was given to me by my long-time girlfriend / domestic partner. I used that name for hiking, and for my eBay camera business for a dozen years.

About two years ago - just as a possible AT thru bug started to bite - Michele started forgetting things; started to get confused; started to die. About a year and half ago, she was diagnosed with early onset dementia. She is deep into it now; and as her mind deteriorates, the world diminishes.

It may take years before I can start - but I vow to hike the trail in her memory, and to use the name she gave me.

kelin
03-20-2012, 08:03
Jimbey... I like that. My thoughts are with you.

Capt Nat
03-20-2012, 09:06
Jimbey, I'm so sorry. My Dad died of Alzheimers and it was truly a hard thing for him and us.

KnotHere
03-20-2012, 09:19
I spent so much time planning my first hike on the AT that I was never at home. Every time someone would ask my better half were I was she'd always say "not here". So between that and my love of learning knots, I ended up as KnotHere.

Majortrauma
03-20-2012, 09:56
I've been taking my children with me starting at 9 yrs old and I inevitably end up with a heavier pack at the end of the hikes than at the start. One hike I had to literally take my daughters pack, strap it to the front to me to help her get to the next shelter. My br-in-law saw me coming down the hill with both packs and the name El Burro stuck.
I'll do just about anything to keep my children interested in this and make sure they enjoy it and the extra weight is not that big a deal.

Kirby
03-21-2012, 18:09
My last name.

Kirby

bamboo bob
03-21-2012, 18:23
I once used old bamboo ski poles.

Creek Dancer
03-21-2012, 18:36
Some hiking buddies gave me my trail name after several failed attempts at water crossings in St. Mary's Wilderness. Someone commented that they had never seen anyone move quite like that while trying to save oneself from yet another dunking. As you may have guessed, my name has nothing at all to do with agility or gracefulness. Quite the opposite!

4Bears
03-25-2012, 20:16
Got mine while hiking a section of the NCT in Michigan, about an hour into the hike had a Mama and 3 cubs cross the trail about 20 yards in front of me ... ... hence the name "4 Bears".

Not Sunshine
03-25-2012, 20:39
I was section hiking in near Mount Roger (Wild Ponies) in VA and there were a few other [male] section hikers there - one of which thought my name should be "sunshine" because of my personality. (<-- HAHA) So I said to him, sure, I'll take "Sunshine" if it's sunny tomorrow. All night the wind and rain howled! The next morning, Weenail (a true thru-hiker) said "well Sara, your name's not sunshine". It stuck. Thanks Weenail!

Heald
03-25-2012, 20:40
I was bestowed with " "Protozoa Arse" once, but as it turned out it was just something I ate.

trucker2015
03-26-2012, 22:57
I've been taking my children with me starting at 9 yrs old and I inevitably end up with a heavier pack at the end of the hikes than at the start. One hike I had to literally take my daughters pack, strap it to the front to me to help her get to the next shelter. My br-in-law saw me coming down the hill with both packs and the name El Burro stuck.
I'll do just about anything to keep my children interested in this and make sure they enjoy it and the extra weight is not that big a deal.

I love it I hope to do the same for my kids one day

Bearleg
03-28-2012, 09:43
I have a standing Bear on my right leg (calf) hence, Bearleg

gregpphoto
03-28-2012, 22:56
I have numerous trail names, each derived from particular hikes with particular people. 3M was one, since I used to use duct tape for near everything. American Wild Ass (take off of African Wild Ass), well thats pretty self explanatory.

Northern Lights
03-28-2012, 23:44
My first day out on my first section hike of the AT last year, I came across two ladies, Buttercup and strike2 fire. I met up with them at Hawk Mountain shelter and they called me over and I set up camp with them. They asked me if there were Northern Lights where I lived, I said yes and told them a bit about it. They said that's your name, Northern Lights. I like it :D

Months after I returned home I was looking at my favorite picture, it is a picture of wolves on a hill and the Northern Lights are dancing behind them. I looked down at the title of the picture and it was Northern Lights. So I think all in all my name fits.

Whack-a-mole
03-28-2012, 23:57
Whack-a-mole...If you've ever played that game at the amusement park, well, I got it after an episode with a mouse and a flip-flop at Lance Creek. I'm sure you get the picture...

KristalB
05-12-2012, 16:49
Whack-a-mole...If you've ever played that game at the amusement park, well, I got it after an episode with a mouse and a flip-flop at Lance Creek. I'm sure you get the picture...

LOL Awesome visual, Whack-a-mole! Thanks for the chuckle.

I've been section hiking the AT since 2008 and honestly I have yet to acquire a trail name. Next week I'm hiking 82 miles through PA. I hope to receive one then. :D

rjjones
05-12-2012, 21:10
I dont have one but if i were to give myself one it would be blowout.If you could hear me an hour after dinner!Just kidding.I have a herniated disc in my back{blowout}.But i believe a trail name should be given to you on the trail and hope to get one soon.Not sunshine is a perfect exsample,great.

Spoppy
05-12-2012, 21:41
Call sign in the Army was Fox 54. Due to abundant gray hair, my hiking mates tagged me Gray Fox. Not sure if is an improvement of my old trail name of Snail... You know - slow moving and carrying my house on my back!

Bearleg
05-14-2012, 14:30
i would have asked "junebug, what do they call you in July?'

Gray Blazer
05-14-2012, 14:35
Need I say more?

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/travis_viii_749.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=51201&original=1&c=720)

I miss my old truck. You can call me White Honda now or just plain old F-150
(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=51201&original=1&c=720)

Sir-Packs-Alot
05-14-2012, 15:24
In 03' on my thru-hike I was carrying heavy - not out of ignorance - but out of wanting guilty pleasures on trail. My 60 lbs was too heavy for the pack though and one of the shoulder strap buckles snapped. The pack pulled away from my body - flinging me back down the hill into Unicoi Gap. Once THAT hit the shelter journal "airwaves" ... the name appeared - "Sir-Packs-Alot"

deadhorsejoe
05-17-2012, 20:53
I am a veterinary pathologist.

Theosus
05-18-2012, 06:42
In 03' on my thru-hike I was carrying heavy - not out of ignorance - but out of wanting guilty pleasures on trail. My 60 lbs was too heavy for the pack though and one of the shoulder strap buckles snapped. The pack pulled away from my body - flinging me back down the hill into Unicoi Gap. Once THAT hit the shelter journal "airwaves" ... the name appeared - "Sir-Packs-Alot"

I feared I would be called forklift, hand truck, or kitchen sink after my first group hike. Thankfully we didn't assign trail names. It was only overnight. I learned quick what to leave home.

trapper
05-18-2012, 07:48
Krystal ......you haven't got a name for a reason...... your name is no name

wookinpanub
05-18-2012, 09:50
WOOKINPANUB:
As an early solo southbounder, I felt like I had to find one for myself, but it was given to me by freinds before I left.
When talking to folks about my planned thru-hike, the question "Why are you going?" kept coming up. After realizing that most would not understand, I gave up and began giving the nonsense answer of "I'm just going out looking for love." Add an Eddie Murphy skit (Buckwheat Sings) and you get "Wookinpanub in all the wrong places." It was written in shoe polish on my car by some friends before I left, so I figured it was as good as any.

Spokes
05-18-2012, 12:06
I rode a bicycle cross country the year before my thru hike:

www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/ibikefar

TennCajun
05-18-2012, 14:24
I'm not sure why I got mine. It's not my fault nobody understands what I say!