PDA

View Full Version : Airplane Carry-on

Dodds1990
03-17-2012, 14:19
Is it possible to bring an Osprey Kestrel 38 as a carry-on on an airplane? I wouldn't have it fully loaded but it was have everything airplane legal in it.

HiKen2011
03-17-2012, 14:22
Should be fine, I carried on an osprey exos 46. Fit in the overhead.

4eyedbuzzard
03-17-2012, 14:28
Probably. Pretty borderline size wise (it's likely over most airlines "posted sizes" for carry-on - which they almost never enforce). All depends on the type of aircraft (overhead bin sizes can be small on regional jets), how crowded the plane is, etc. Worst case is they might "gate check" it for you.

RWheeler
03-17-2012, 15:38
It'll be within carry-on sizes, unless you have it terribly over-filled and stuff strapped to the outside.

Spokes
03-17-2012, 19:56
Prolly so. Heck, more and more of the airlines are offering free gate checks because the flights are so crammed it's worth a shot. I just flew in and out of Las Vegas and both flights offered it. Saved $25 a pop. Yeehaw!

Blissful
03-17-2012, 20:24
I carried my Gregory jade on several times.

stranger
03-18-2012, 08:14
Unfortunately airline carry-on standards are abused frequently, as well as enforced poorly...so what this means is that if you fly soon after a crackdown on carry on bags, you are more likely to have a problem.

What I find is that the size of the bag is more or less irrelevant (within reason), what is far more relevant is ones perception of the bag and who that person is. If someone is cracking down on carry-ons you are sh_t outta luck, however here are some things that can increase your chances...

The smaller the pack looks and the more comfortable you look, the more likely you will get it on a plane. Tuck away those straps, remove the hipbelt, pull those compression straps firm, throw it over one shoulder, the one away from the person checking your ticket, board the plane just behind a rather large person (gives them less time to get a look at you in line), engage the person checking your ticket, if they are answering a question they will be focusing on that and not your bag, plus it's just friendly and people like that.

Spokes
03-18-2012, 08:22
Unfortunately airline carry-on standards are abused frequently...

Being charged $25 for check baggage is abuse too. This all started when the free peanuts went away.

stranger
03-19-2012, 07:14
Being charged $25 for check baggage is abuse too. This all started when the free peanuts went away.

Agreed, however that's really just a domestic US thing, I've never seen that outside of the States, but annoying never the less

Rightfoot
03-19-2012, 17:32
My hiking partner had to gate check her pack as she had a pair of Leki's strapped on the outside. This was Delta's regional (ASA Connection) flight. They were nice about it but the poles were the deal breaker. I had no poles and took my pack onboard. +1 on the regional aircraft overheads, they are small.

skinewmexico
03-19-2012, 17:43
Gate checking a bag in the bomb; unless you can fly Southwest. I used my GG Gorilla as a carryon last week on a trip to Moab, it fit fine in the overhead.

RWheeler
03-19-2012, 17:51
My hiking partner had to gate check her pack as she had a pair of Leki's strapped on the outside. This was Delta's regional (ASA Connection) flight. They were nice about it but the poles were the deal breaker. I had no poles and took my pack onboard. +1 on the regional aircraft overheads, they are small.

She got trekking poles past TSA? I get the feeling that they wouldn't really let those through...

Spokes
03-19-2012, 19:42
The TSA question comes up all the time. Check out the TSA prohibited items list here:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Then realize anytime you have humans interpreting such a list you're bound to have variances. In other words, what my be allowed through, say, in the Atlanta airport might not in Seattle. We've all got stories.....

I say, save the aggravation and either ship it ahead (if you can) or check it.