PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering here...

Mountain Dew
03-28-2005, 03:18
What would be a cool/neat/special item to carry from Springer to Katahdin.
What are some things that you have heard of that have made the Springer to Katahdin hike ?

I have a Katahdin rock (2 ounces maybe) and was thinking about leaving a note tied to it saying..." take me home to Katahdin please..." :D

Jewels
03-28-2005, 07:44
When I hike the trail, I plan on taking a photo of my grandmother with me. She has been gone for quite some time now, but still gives me strength when times are tough, and there are plenty of those days out on the trail. She is my inspiration and has made me the person I am today, I only see it fitting that she take the journey from GA->ME with me.

JEWELS

GA->ME and everything in between.....

Stoker53
03-28-2005, 08:54
A can/bottle of your favorite beer which would be opened ONLY when you reach the summit of Katadin. That'll test your will power for sure.

superman
03-28-2005, 09:13
I had all I could do to haul myself from Springer to Katahdin but in 99 I hiked with "Banjo Man" on part of the Long Trail. He'd section hiked the AT that far carrying a big heavy banjo, in a case, in his hand. He very diplomaticaly pointed out to me a lot of problems with the gear I was carrying. I left him to go home and make gear changes. He expected to finish the AT that year. I appreciated what he'd told me since he knew how to hike light but chose to carry his banjo.

bulldog49
03-28-2005, 09:39
A Cuban cigar to be smoked on top of Katahdin.

Jaybird
03-28-2005, 10:00
a pebble from Springer Mtn....& a photo of my lovely wife ("D-bird") & grandbaby (Rylee) is with me on each section hike.

see ya'll out there:

(NoBo) Apr 28-May5 (w/"the Model T crew")HotSprings to Erwin
(SoBo) May 6 & 7 Carvers Gap to Erwin
(NoBo) May 8-20 Damascus to Pearisburg,VA
:D

MOWGLI
03-28-2005, 10:10
What would be a cool/neat/special item to carry from Springer to Katahdin.

Humility. It weighs nothing, yet it impacts all that you encounter along the way.

bitpusher
03-28-2005, 11:49
At first read, I thought you said "humidity"...lol...

MOWGLI
03-28-2005, 12:06
At first read, I thought you said "humidity"...lol...

You don't have to "carry" that. Come May, it'll simply follow along beside you.

Footslogger
03-28-2005, 12:14
I did the "tiny little rock" thing myself. Never said anything to anyone about it before now. Carried that pepple all the way from Springer and placed it beneath the Katahdin sign. Then I picked up a similar little pebble out away from the sign and brought it home. Next time I'm near Springer I'll place it near the sign-in rock.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Jack Tarlin
03-28-2005, 12:53
There are only three things that I still carry that have been withme on all of my hikes: An old army medical kitbag that a friend gave me years ago, a silver cross, and my dad's dogtag from WWII. Oh. And a college ring that has no sentimental value whatsoever; I wear it primarily because it doesn't come off.

greenman
03-28-2005, 20:07
hey,

how about a good ole sense of humor,from ga to me,and it doesnt weigh much!
mairnt,
greenman:datz

RITBlake
03-29-2005, 01:45
And a college ring that has no sentimental value whatsoever; I wear it primarily because it doesn't come off.
lol, off with his finger!

I've thought about the can of beer and I will be doing this on my hike. It will be one of the mini-bud cans. Im sure it will taste great at the end of my hike.

It is also a nice way to remember to check where and how I put my pack down.

attroll
03-29-2005, 01:51
lol, off with his finger!

I've thought about the can of beer and I will be doing this on my hike. It will be one of the mini-bud cans. Im sure it will taste great at the end of my hike.

It is also a nice way to remember to check where and how I put my pack down.
Wow. A can of beer is like 12 oz, it is to much for me to carry for extra weight. That is alomost a pound. I think if I want to have a beer at the top of big K when I get done I will buy one when I pass through Monson. That way I will only have to carry the extra pound for only 100 miles.

digger51
03-29-2005, 03:06
I will carry an ounce of gold i dug in the Arizona desert this winter. But I sure as heck wont leave it when I finish.

Lone Wolf
03-29-2005, 07:36
Crotchless panties and matching nippleless bra from Fredericks of Hollywood.

rickb
03-29-2005, 17:38
To save weight, Wolf?

Jester2000
03-29-2005, 21:05
To save weight, Wolf?

Alright. THAT was funny.

Some useless things I carried: two rocks from Springer (put one in my Grandma's casket), a room key from Franklin (accidentally for a couple of hundred miles, on purpose for the rest), a photo of the Jefferson Memorial (the bastard son of the DC tourist sites), a PA trailer license plate (only 400 miles for this), a flipping wind-up dog (600 miles, just threw him out yesterday, as he had stopped flipping), Ugly Bunny (from Bennington on), a kite, and a whoopee cushion. I think there was more, but I don't remember.
I had a pretty big pack, and things got lost pretty easily in there.

Oh, and I carried Funkee Munkee for the first 400 miles.

I think it would be cool to carry a pinata the whole way, and have everyone break it open with their hiking sticks on K.

saimyoji
03-29-2005, 22:13
What would you will the pinata with?

Mountain Dew
03-30-2005, 00:43
Wolf, "Crotchless panties and matching nippleless bra from Fredericks of Hollywood."--- I SAID what would you carry ... NOT what would you wear Wolf. rim shot :banana ;)