PDA

View Full Version : Do I need rain pants for apr 1 start, or do you think my clothing kit sufficient.

Oklahoma
03-17-2012, 16:18
I know eventually I will be wet and I'm fine with that, Is it just extra weight or do i need it. here is my clothing kit.
2 pair wool socks
1 pair sock liner
1 athletic underwear
1 long running tights
1 convertible pants
1 rain pants
1 poly cycling shirt
1 poly long sleeve
1 fleece long sleeve
1 rain shell

HiKen2011
03-17-2012, 16:26
I'd take em if it were ME. If nothing else they're great for wind pant's or warm for around the shelter/campsite at night.

Six-Six
03-17-2012, 18:15
Starting the same day - see you there. I'm taking my rain pants.

kayak karl
03-17-2012, 18:48
you won't need them for the cold, you won't need them for the wind, but IF they are thin and light why not.
i only carry them nov 1-mar 1

Blissful
03-17-2012, 20:33
I know eventually I will be wet and I'm fine with that, Is it just extra weight

You won't be fine being wet if the temp is below 50 and there is a wind. It's call hypothermia. Weight in unimportant in that situation. (in '07 it snowed on us twice in April. We had eighties in March)

Take rain pants until mid may then mail home. Get them back in Hanover, NH.
You need an insulated jacket until mid May. Get it back in Hanoiver
two pairs of socks is not enough
hope you have a hat

ScottP
03-17-2012, 20:56
Depends on your fitness level.

If you can generate enough heat from hiking to stay warm in cool conditions, then the running/cycling tights will be plenty until you hop into your sleeping bag.

If you're planning on getting in shape on the trail then the rain pants might be nice.

I never use rain pants. They make me chafe too badly. I'd rather have frigid legs than bloody chafe.

As bilssfull said, you CAN get nasty weather in april. And cold, windy rain in the 35-45 degree range is pretty high risk for hypothermia.

rocketsocks
03-17-2012, 21:20
I like my "Thunderhead"rain pants,but there are certainly cheaper,weigh less alternatives.

Papa D
03-17-2012, 21:26
The mountains are funny. Warm sunny days and brief rain showers in mid day will lull you into thinking that rain pants are unnecessary. All along the AT, even in summer, a good rainstorm can drop temps into the 50s and lower - - there are plenty of great things to leave behind to lighten your load (water pumps, poop shovels, big knives, etc.) - - I'd carry my rain pants if I were you.

bamboo bob
03-17-2012, 21:30
You need rain pants when you do laundry.

rocketsocks
03-17-2012, 21:38
You need rain pants when you do laundry.I thought thats what the zipper in the bottom compartment of the backpack was for,your legs No?

Mountain Mike
03-17-2012, 21:41
I carry rain pants as an outer layer for cold, windy days hiking days, at night when in camp for warmth & for something to wear when all my other clothes are in the wash. They also work in a prolonged cold rain. In summer they are most likely the only long pants I have.

Oklahoma
03-17-2012, 22:22
Thanks everyone, I will be taking the rain pants and mail them back in mid may. It might be nice to have them around camp when I am not generating as much body heat.

bessiebreeze
03-17-2012, 22:48
Yes, take rain pants, and put them on when it starts raining. If you don't, you will soon be hiking in boots filled with water. And this takes a long to dry out, besides being very uncomfortable sloshing along.

Firefighter503
03-18-2012, 12:15
I wore my rain pants once last year.. it was a cold, snowy day in the smokies, and once I got warm from hiking, I wished I had not put them on.

jus10kase
03-18-2012, 16:58
I`ve been pondering this also in finishing up my list. Might be starting that weekend also, see ya out there.

max patch
03-18-2012, 18:56
My rain pants were my long pants. I'd keep em and can the convertible pants.

Stir Fry
03-18-2012, 19:00
Consider a rain rap. All the advantages of pant and in sil nylon 1/2 the weight. cost a little more but uben is about an oz. I started using it about 4 yaers ago na love it.